Quantcast

VAG Owners

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
all my GTI's were pre 89....none of that....

my NB was a 2000....nada

86 jetta coupe....not fancy...

92 jetta 4 dour...not fancy....

93 passat glx....my favorite vw by far....not fancy...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
all my GTI's were pre 89....none of that....

my NB was a 2000....nada

86 jetta coupe....not fancy...

92 jetta 4 dour...not fancy....

93 passat glx....my favorite vw by far....not fancy...
kk

But how about the lock on your boot?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No matter how I manipulate or stick my fingers into the hole, the hatch just won't pop. :think:

But in seriousness, just for my troubleshooting..

-The manual lock release on the inside of the hatch still works
-When I open the door manually, from the inside, the car knows its open (on the dash)
-When I hit the trunk button on my key to unlock it, there is no sound
-When I put the car into reverse, the backup camera turns on, but the whole assembly doesn't popout
-Pulling on the hatch release from the door doesn't do anything - no clicks, no sound, nothing

I guess I need to find the fuse that it might be on and check that first?

If that's good, then I need to do some research as to which switch or actuator has failed. There seems to be a lot of posts on the interwebs about this, but with Google's stupid search results, I keep getting results for mk4 Jettas and whatnot (probably same part anyways....but ya know what I mean).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Interview last night was for photojournalistic piece. It's going to take quiet a bit longer to do because he wants to get real race footage too. K1 obviously wants it to be all K1 footage, but if we're doing the time spent, I want outdoor to pull the ability to get $$ support as well.

Otherwise, meh. Layla woke me up twice last night.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Here. Interview last night was for photojournalistic piece. It's going to take quiet a bit longer to do because he wants to get real race footage too. K1 obviously wants it to be all K1 footage, but if we're doing the time spent, I want outdoor to pull the ability to get $$ support as well.

Otherwise, meh. Layla woke me up twice last night.
Psst, wrong thread, not your daily gmt. In fact, a totally misleading thread title.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well it isn't the fuse...

Looks like I'll be buying a cheap Chinese part to try. Zee German part is $700 or some shit.

I wish I had saved where I read it, but apparently the cable going to the electronic switch can go bad as well, but more importantly, can be replaced separately.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well it isn't the fuse...

Looks like I'll be buying a cheap Chinese part to try. Zee German part is $700 or some shit.

I wish I had saved where I read it, but apparently the cable going to the electronic switch can go bad as well, but more importantly, can be replaced separately.

What is the actual part needed. This is what I think you need but for my ride.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hmmm. I can still unlock the hatch with the manual release that is hidden in the door, so I was thinking it wasn't that latch assembly.

But if there is electronic guts in that, that's possible.

The camera in the handle still works, but when I pull on the handle or press the unlock button on the keyfob, there is no noise coming from the hatch.

I'm a n00b when it comes to electronics testing. Is there a way to test of the latch itself is working? I guess I'd need to somehow feed it some power?

Related is about a month ago, the hatch unlocked and got stuck in that limbo mode where you don't really shut it hard enough to fully shut. I couldn't get it open or fully shut at the store, so just drove home. By the time I got home, I slammed it fully shut and then it started working normally....until now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Do you have keyless entry?
I assume it still does not work with all the doors unlocked
If the logo moves and the camera still works I think there is a microswitch in the handle that tells the car to unlock.

Let me peruse my car to see if I can understand how it all works.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do you have keyless entry?
I assume it still does not work with all the doors unlocked
If the logo moves and the camera still works I think there is a microswitch in the handle that tells the car to unlock.

Let me peruse my car to see if I can understand how it all works.
Yeah it's keyless entry.

Yeah the logo moves and feels fine. No funny noises, other than no sound at all.

Cheers for taking a look.

With the manual release, it's at least not do or die. I can live with it for a bit. Time to put the bike rack on the car I guess!