Quantcast

Val di Sol - 2024

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Just burnishing the bushings (makes them a few microns bigger and slide more easily).
Forks are way plusher than stock afterwards.
I also tend to stretch the foam rings juuuuust fractionally before fitting which also helps.

Todays #mansplaining has been brought to you by our sponser grumpyoldcunt.com

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Just burnishing the bushings (makes them a few microns bigger and slide more easily).
I also tend to stretch the foam rings juuuuust fractionally before fitting which also helps.
Wouldn't it be nice if.... the bushings came properly sized from the factory and that we didn't need to do this to 1-2K$+ forks to get them to work properly ?!

Also, I thought Dak would have it today, but Amaury's run was crazy. Thanks Tiz for giving us the chance to see that happen!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Goddamn that winning run was ludicrous. Like a different sport to the other riders. What the fuck

Also worth mentioning Eliana Hulsebosch would have won Elite women with her time.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Goddamn that winning run was ludicrous. Like a different sport to the other riders. What the fuck

Also worth mentioning Eliana Hulsebosch would have won Elite women with her time.
Reminds me of a story I read in an old DIRT race recap.

One of the elite riders managers saw Sam Hills junior times and said to his team “if you want to win a World Cup you better do it this year”

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

I thought Tahnee‘s ass was talking to me. I do not recall her having the Beef? What a Lady.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Looks like Bruni was on a different frame... without the swing arm under the bb
Yes,I would Love to read more about this? I have said it before,I shall say it again.

That Frame look’s Whimpy to Avy. The Whole Frame Wall Thikness looks like a Girls Bike.

Finn and Loic are on Fire with it,so what do I know?

The Links are soo Skinny?
How can they can they use Lock Out,but yet No other Teams use it?
Why,again,Why do they still have a vail over the Sussie? How many years has it been now?

I don’t get it? The only thing I come up with on the Lock out is Ohlins. If one does not run Ohlins then no go. However,as we know, other Teams run Ohlins.

Avy

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

Todays #mansplaining has been brought to you by our sponser grumpyoldcunt.com
So you want to be my fork guy? That's what I just heard :D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@bullcrew does it ... and he's in your hemisphere!
Yes it works!!

Works for xc, Enduro, DH, freeride, all MTN etc ..

Bushings can attribute up to 60% mechanical bind when cornering and twisted up on chatter

Burnishing bushings makes a fork a crap ton smoother, it eliminated stiction (mechanical bind) and allows fork to move freely without binding especially when twisted up on say a corner, berm, leaned over and alot of cycling up and down...just oversized (took it beyond the norm resize) my Zeb yesterday and custom tuned it due to it being overly tight and rockshox charger 3 having piss poor over damped stacks ....

Yes ..I know Ohlins has a set up that goes on a drill as well...Mike and I have been going back and forth on a shaft with bearing design and set up for the burnishing heads...you have to be very carefull when doing it this way or use a almost egg shaped head so if you deviate from straight down it doesn't oversize bushings from a bad angle..
You won't be burnishing a tight bushings by one hand on drill and other holding lowers lol..that's for pics and no head control, there's a bit more of a struggle to it...

By hand is slower but also a lot harder to mess up...we are also working on a stand to hold lowers, I've had some where I had to have someone hold the lowers to keep from breaking them because of how tight the bushings were..a drill style would help but you need to lock down the lowers to avoid deviation and oversizing them..
20240615_164206.jpg

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

Burnishing bushings makes a fork a crap ton smoother, it eliminated suction and allows fork to move freely especially when twisted up on say a corner, berm, leaned over and alot of cycling up and down...just oversized my Zeb yesterday and custom tuned it due to it being overly tight ...

Yes ..I know Ohlins has a set up that goes on a drill as well...Mike and I have been going back and forth on a shaft with bearing design and set up for the burnishing heads...you have to be very carefull when doing it this way or use a almost egg shaped head so if you deviate from straight down it doesn't oversize bushings from a bad angle..

By hand is slower but also a lot harder to mess up...we are also working on a stand to hold lowers, I've had some where I had to have someone hold the lowers to keep from breaking them because of how tight the bushings were..a drill style would help but you need to lock down the lowers to avoid deviation and oversizing them..View attachment 213397
So maybe a lower holder and drill press? Jus sayin'. But this is all new to me. Why can't the manufacturer's get it right the first time?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So maybe a lower holder and drill press? Jus sayin'. But this is all new to me. Why can't the manufacturer's get it right the first time?
Like any item of mass production if you save a few dollars on each one it only makes financial sense on over all quantity as the manufacturer...but to the consumer we don't see the numbers so we feel like we got screwed we only see ours and a handful of buddies forks...

Break in doesn't get rid of tight spots on leaned corners, you don't ride in those areas enough to actually rid the bushing of it...front to back yes that's 90% of its motion, side and lateral no ..

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Yes it works!!

Bushings can attribute up to 60% mechanical bind when cornering and twisted up on chatter

Burnishing bushings makes a fork a crap ton smoother, it eliminated stiction (mechanical bind) and allows fork to move freely without binding especially when twisted up on say a corner, berm, leaned over and alot of cycling up and down...just oversized (took it beyond the norm resize) my Zeb yesterday and custom tuned it due to it being overly tight and rockshox charger 3 having piss poor over damped stacks ....

You won't be burnishing a tight bushings by one hand on drill and other holding lowers lol..that's for pics and no head control, there's a bit more of a struggle to it...

By hand is slower but also a lot harder to mess up...we are also working on a stand to hold lowers, I've had some where I had to have someone hold the lowers to keep from breaking them because of how tight the bushings were..a drill style would help but you need to lock down the lowers to avoid deviation and oversizing them..View attachment 213397
how much are you charging for this service? some dude here is offering it for 59.-, good deal?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Like any item of mass production if you save a few dollars on each one it only makes financial sense on over all quantity as the manufacturer...but to the consumer we don't see the numbers so we feel like we got screwed we only see ours and a handful of buddies forks...

Break in doesn't get rid of tight spots on leaned corners, you don't ride in those areas enough to actually rid the bushing of it...front to back yes that's 90% of its motion, side and lateral no ..
True. You have to be one of the one's that actually notice it. 99% of riders probably don't.

Heavy sigh.

Yeah, I get the manufacturing numbers. But still. C'mon man!

Anyone want to try the Push fork? I bet they got it right.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
how much are you charging for this service? some dude here is offering it for 59.-, good deal?
That's a good price and most don't realize what it does till they had it done .

I do it $70 off bike or $20 during service since I have it on bench already .

After I do it with an add on to a service they always think I let air out or backed there compression down cause it's smooth..

I did it for a while and didn't tell a few to see what the feedback was, lol was exactly the same to hey have had their service done before but never felt this consistent..

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yes it works!!

bullcrew,I just want to say that you are very impressive to me. It has been years now,so I know what I say. You amoung other Monkeys, are a gift to this site. Each bring a Lot to the table. I thank you and all my other Monkeys I Love.

Avy

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
bullcrew,I just want to say that you are very impressive to me. It has been years now,so I know what I say. You amoung other Monkeys, are a gift to this site. Each bring a Lot to the table. I thank you and all my other Monkeys I Love.

Avy
Appreciate you man! Thanks
like you I go here first, I have a ton of respect for the crew on here and have for almost 20 years now...I ask things to get other angles I haven't looked at or missed when I am doing stuff or testing...I know my take but there's more than 1..

Plus I can count on smart ass whitty comments and being kept on my toes...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
there's a few (ha! understatement of the century!) lines in there that I find are completely mental...
@0:34 the speed he carries while threading the needle between the trees on off-camber roots and rocks?! :eek:

@2:18 when he uses the boulder to push off into a tighter line in the next right hander!?! :eek:

and the raw flat-out speed starting @2:28 over the roots... just bonkers. :fie:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Looks like Bruni was on a different frame... without the swing arm under the bb
Yes,I would Love to read more about this? I have said it before,I shall say it again.

That Frame look’s Whimpy to Avy. The Whole Frame Wall Thikness looks like a Girls Bike.

Finn and Loic are on Fire with it,so what do I know?

The Links are soo Skinny?
How can they can they use Lock Out,but yet No other Teams use it?
Why,again,Why do they still have a vail over the Sussie? How many years has it been now?

I don’t get it? The only thing I come up with on the Lock out is Ohlins. If one does not run Ohlins then no go. However,as we know, other Teams run Ohlins.

Avy
Just did a freeze frame and screen capture from Cathro's post-race analysis:
1718637431945.png

looks like the link is still there?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
there's a few (ha! understatement of the century!) lines in there that I find are completely mental...
@0:34 the speed he carries while threading the needle between the trees on off-camber roots and rocks?! :eek:

@2:18 when he uses the boulder to push off into a tighter line in the next right hander!?! :eek:

Yeah there's a couple of times where he hits lines that look like they have just a couple millimeters of clearance. Other times he is just a tiny bit off on lines like that but manages to hold onto it (you can see the front wheel whip back and forth briefly as it tags right then left rocks). The strength coupled with coordination is just unreal.

His solution to wet roots appears to have been go so fast that the knobs can't squirm and tires just skim over the tops.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yes it works!!

This is the 2nd time I want you to adopt me.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

Yeah man. On another level. The lines man. Makes me wanna ride and sneak in a few. Inspirational.

Cathro kinda called it out. To win by 4 seconds? WC Elite mens? That's like Sam Hill shit right there.

Glad I was witness :) Go on Amoury!!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Yeah man. On another level. The lines man. Makes me wanna ride and sneak in a few. Inspirational.

Cathro kinda called it out. To win by 4 seconds? WC Elite mens? That's like Sam Hill shit right there.

showed the run and the post-race interview to my wife who broke her neck in february and told her she had her work cut out for her over the next six months :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

on the other hand... in the Vital post-race interviews Amaury said he was happy for the sloppy conditions because it meant he couldn't ride close to the limit, and had to remain within his capabilities... Ben was suggesting he was the one who could push the closest to the limit without crossing it.

After my injury, I'm beginning to notice that speed is what freaks me out. I'll take tech every day all day, but I know the consequences all too well of losing it at speed. I wonder if that's what's going on with him: his talent on a bike is astronomical, so the tech is where he excels, but flat out speed at the limit still wigs him out. I'm sure as an elite athlete he'll eventually get to where he wants to be... and we'll all be in awe of it!