Quantcast

Val di Sole 2012 - Official Thread?

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Pretty much every variation of an athletic body type has won a WC dh race several time over. Me thinks you're over thinking it.

Especially when so much of the difference between 1st and 20th is above the shoulders.

Totally agree about the interesting variety of body types to have been successful in WC DH over the years. But you know, that has also really leant to my "what the hell are these guys doing" perspective. DH has been a skill & confidence driven sport all along. It still is, no doubt. But now WC DH has a guy with a ton of confidence & skill who's also properly conditioned for the sport. I predict Gwin's involvement in the sport will change the way top guys (and eventually everyone serious) trains.

It's a good thing, part of DH becoming a grown up sport. Think of any mainstream sport 50 years ago. The whole "different body types can succeed" line of thought used to apply a lot there too. But time and money always narrow down a sport's parameters for success, and we end up with super specialized conditioning techniques.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
^ interesting points

Right now it's cool to see Peaty on one end and the new little guys with TdF/MotoGP physiques going head-to-head. I don't think this diversity will last, but the transitional period is kinda neat.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Think of any mainstream sport 50 years ago. The whole "different body types can succeed" line of thought used to apply a lot there too. But time and money always narrow down a sport's parameters for success, and we end up with super specialized conditioning techniques.

How many of those "mainstream sports" have a playing field that changes from game to game, etc? Most are played with many set variables regardless of venue. There is no variation in time, distance, speed, rough, smooth, corner, straight, etc.

The last guy to raise the bar above everyone was a stocky short guy on flat pedals, the guy before him was average height thin fit and clipped in. And the current pace setter is petty much in the middle.

Bikes change and technology change over time, the style of tracks change over time, as does training.

It's who can put all of that together and deliver better than the rest who comes out on top.

No rider in the top 10 is at any more or less disadvantage than the other guy going into it. Rather some have just decided to create their own advantage over the rest.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
One thing I noticed, how happy Gwin and Minnaar were. All smiles and congratulating each other. Greg commentated also Gwin's run as mind blowing and that he was speechless about his performance. I think it's awesome to have such humble guys on top of the podium.
I had a similar thought, and wondered- how is this different from when Minnaar was getting stomped by Hill and calling him a demon/beast whatever on that Clay Porter interview? Either Minnaar has chilled out a bit or Hill/Minnaar just don't get along? Anyway, good to see these guys stoked- the disdain Minnaar showed for Hill back then was a little off-putting.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
How many of those "mainstream sports" have a playing field that changes from game to game, etc? Most are played with many set variables regardless of venue. There is no variation in time, distance, speed, rough, smooth, corner, straight, etc.

The last guy to raise the bar above everyone was a stocky short guy on flat pedals, the guy before him was average height thin fit and clipped in. And the current pace setter is petty much in the middle.

Bikes change and technology change over time, the style of tracks change over time, as does training.

It's who can put all of that together and deliver better than the rest who comes out on top.

No rider in the top 10 is at any more or less disadvantage than the other guy going into it. Rather some have just decided to create their own advantage over the rest.
Good points, all. For clarification though, I wasn't referring to genetics at all. Genetics matter of course in the equation, it's just not what I was talking about.

I'm referring to physical conditioning techniques, regardless of height, bone structure, etc. As for changing "playing field" in DH, while this is true, WCs still run between 3 & 6 minutes in length of exertion. It still makes sense to me to train for what you actually do.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Stik, help me out here. How many times over the years have you heard racers of fans say something to the affect of "training is getting more serious now.... Everyone is taking it more seriously... It's good for the sport etc.". Is it me or has this been repeated consistently every 2 seasons or so since like 199#?

Or maybe I've just watched too many Atherton Projects?

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Stik, help me out here. How many times over the years have you heard racers of fans say something to the affect of "training is getting more serious now.... Everyone is taking it more seriously... It's good for the sport etc.". Is it me or has this been repeated consistently every 2 seasons or so since like 199#?

Or maybe I've just watched too many Atherton Projects?
Oh my gosh... again, not talking about people getting serious about training, or training hard, or not training at all. What I am talking about is how in 16 years of riding, racing, reading about, following, and watching DH,

I have been consistently baffled by professional DH racers' aversion to training properly for their sport the way other professional level athletes train properly for their own sports (largely regardless of how high profile that sport may be.)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Oh my gosh... again, not talking about people getting serious about training, or training hard, or not training at all. What I am talking about is how in 16 years of riding, racing, reading about, following, and watching DH,

I have been consistently baffled by professional DH racers' aversion to training properly for their sport the way other professional level athletes train properly for their own sports (largely regardless of how high profile that sport may be.)
Sorry, I didn't realize you spent so much time with athletes while they trained.

I'm consistently baffled by ridemonkey and 4-cross. In no particular order.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
omgwtfbbq sam hill said he was fitter for VDS then PMB?! WHY WASN"T HE AS FIT AS HE COULD POSSIBLY BE AT PMB! THE APOCOLYPSE IS COMING!