Quantcast

Val di Sole 2012 - Official Thread?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
For all the Americans, look at Richie Rude in 9th, very impressive. Good effort by Hill also, i wonder how much mental games were played for this run by everybody. Seems like a mellow qualifying could be a good idea on this track to avoid possible injury or is quali points that important that the contenders for the overall smashes it regardless?
Anybodythatthinks they are remotely in the hunt for the WC Overall needs every point they can get. I'd expect Gee, Gwin, Greg, etc. are at full-throttle.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
For all the Americans, look at Richie Rude in 9th, very impressive. Good effort by Hill also, i wonder how much mental games were played for this run by everybody. Seems like a mellow qualifying could be a good idea on this track to avoid possible injury or is quali points that important that the contenders for the overall smashes it regardless?
thats really ****in sweet! gooo Richie!

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I hope not. Marcelo posted on his fb that he had brake problems in leogang too. Odd.
i have no idea what issues he had in legoland, but according to the translation, his rear brake was taken out by a rock this time.

"Bryan Regnier , his teammate, teaches us that it was indeed his rear brake broke, broken by a stone in a corner."

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I heard that he dislocated a finger in practice this morning and just rolled through the start. He is a protected rider so he will be back for finals.
So I am really cursed. Every year I pick one rider/race who doesn't start. Now I picked him for Val di Sole in Dirt league. Than I dislocate my finger and make him dislocate his finger. :tinfoil:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So I am really cursed. Every year I pick one rider/race who doesn't start. Now I picked him for Val di Sole in Dirt league. Than I dislocate my finger and make him dislocate his finger. :tinfoil:
same here, i had gracia on my team. I'm keeping him there though, in support of him being baddass.

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
Hill looked really relaxed in the Dirt vid. No one else looked as relaxed to me. It was completely different from Gwin's style. I'm not sure how to describe Gwin, but he just looked compact and solid on the bike.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Hill looked really relaxed in the Dirt vid. No one else looked as relaxed to me. It was completely different from Gwin's style. I'm not sure how to describe Gwin, but he just looked compact and solid on the bike.
From a 3 second, partial slow-mo clip of a single turn?

Granted Gwin did look good in that spot. Inside, shortest distance between the 2 turns, no sliding around = fast. But it's still just one corner during practice.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
yeah donno about the hill thing, but the line hart took where he was steering with his front wheel through rocks with his back wheel off the ground and dodging that tree is incredibly rad.

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
It's all I've got to work with at this point. I can't seem to remember much from PMB this year, but Hill's form compared to World Champs last year with the bum shoulder is very much improved.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
i have no idea what issues he had in legoland, but according to the translation, his rear brake was taken out by a rock this time.

"Bryan Regnier , his teammate, teaches us that it was indeed his rear brake broke, broken by a stone in a corner."
Marcelo wrote that CG lost his brakes at the end of the leogang race-run and still ended up 16. Sounds a bit odd that a stone took out the rear brake...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Marcelo wrote that CG lost his brakes at the end of the leogang race-run and still ended up 16. Sounds a bit odd that a stone took out the rear brake...
Pretty bad luck to have it happen two weeks in a row, but this track is pretty heavy on the rocks. If he hit one hard enough to severly bend the rotor it could have caused the lever to pull into the bar. Bent rotor pushes the pistons all the way out and it takes a few lever pumps for them to come back.... No wonder Fraser reported him coming into the corner 5x faster than anyone else. Ouch.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
any more info on Stevie Smith?

nevermind, just saw this on his twitter account: "Unable to do my qually run today due to a dislocated finger in practice this morning. hoping it will be decent for tomorrow race. We'll see."

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Some codeine and he'll be race ready. It hurts but unless he injured something more I doubt dislocation should prevent any riding. I felt decent a day after my dislocation even after my finger turned went 2 sizes up.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Just watched the Gwin bike check on dirt. Gwin's bike has minnions on it, not the bontrager minnion look a likes... Is twr still on bontrager or is this a case of some sharpie action?

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
First, I really wish they had a feed for the qualis.

Stevie crashed and has dislocated finger. As a protected rider he starts 21. I think he could be in the hot seat for awhile... I hope he tapes his messed finger to a good one and pins like a good grizzly bear wrestling Canadian. It is the roughest track, and you do need hand strength tho.. And he crashed here last year race run, not best average...
Revised speculation:
1. Gwin
2. Hart
3. Gee
4. Beaumont
5. Cole

GWIN 3.16.693 1
Dominating. It's a race for second.
MINNAAR 3:24.342 +7.649 Q2
Should not have counted him out. Mignaar is podium threat on any track. Both Gee and Greg know how to get podium every race.
BEAUMONT 3:24.887 +8.194 Q3
Won here before, Thought it might have been a career best, stars align run for him last time. It's clear he is just super fast on this track.
ATHERTON 3:25.884 +9.191 Q4
I would have figured him to beat Minnaar if healthy, but he does have fractured fib and big cut on his arm. Toughing it!
THIRION 3:26.611 +9.918 Q5 Never really noticed him before, sick result! Been in top 20 twice before.
HILL 3:26.801 +10.108 20 Q6
Only 2.5 back on Greg. He's at or around Gee/Greg speed. Wonder if he had a clean run? Holding back? OoOoOh the drama.
BRYCELAND 3:27.464 +10.771 Q7
hells yeah!
HART 3:27.516 +10.823 Q8
I wonder if he had a clean run? This is one of the first races he has had to deal with the pressure of being a favorite.
COLE 3:28.130 +11.437
Wonder if he had clean run?
BLENKINSOP 3:29.283 +12.590Q10
RUDE JR 3:29.547 +12.854 Q11
USA USA USA USA USA So pumped for this kid!
KERR Bernard 3:29.919+13.226 Q12
Never heard of him before... http://www.rootsandrain.com/rider798/bernard-kerr/results/
MACDONALD Brook 3:30.186 +13.493
Expected a faster run from him. Maybe he had a mistake? 6ish back on Greg.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
according to her twitter Manon carpenter will not be racing this afternoon,
lewis buchanan crashed too and is feeling sore,
stevie smith still sore my fantasy team is falling apart ;P

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Bummer - great 2nd split, but must've stacked it somewhere after. Oh well.... her day will come. Mark my words.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Sounds like CG is in very bad shape.

Spleen injury for Brosnan? Possibly out for the season? woah.