Quantcast

Val di Sole 2012 - Official Thread?

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Of the last 10 big races, going back to 2010 Champs at MSA:

Gwin has 5 wins, Minnaar 3 wins, Hill 1, Hart 1.

Gwin has 9 top 5 finishes;
Gee 7;
Minnaar 6;
Smith, Hart 4;
MacDonald, Cole 3;
Hill, Barel, Peat, Brosnan 2;

Gwin has 9 top 10 finishes;
Minnaar, Smith 8;
Gee, Hart 7;
Blenki, MacDonald 6;
Brosnan, Hill, Leov 5;
Beaumont, Cole, Needles 4;
Barel, Peat, Spagnolo 3;

Do you watch the races or just read results on the web?
Both. Generally watch the top 30-40 guys. A friend of mine throws fun WC parties: bacon, eggs, strong coffee and bloody mary's, yelling at the big screen at 5:30 in the morning "LOOK AT THE TIME! HE SMASHED IT!"

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
07, 08 Hill dominated. Everyone else was racing for second. 09 was close, all season. Came down to the very last race. If either Gee or Greg had won the last race, they would have taken the title. Sam took it, but Gee and Greg were racing for the win all season.

I forgot about Sam taking world champs in 10. That was a sick race, was hoping Stevie would take it on Canadian soil. That pinball ball ride he had down the last steep rock section was awesome.

'11 was not a good season for Hill, anyway you look at it. 5th was his best result... good for most, but a disappointment for Hill, who you used to count on to win by 5+ if he kept it clean, podium with a crash.

'11 was Gwin's season. Most WC wins ever, wrapped up the overall earliest. Flat out speed and consistency. A strong argument can be made that his season last year was more dominant than any of Nico or Hill's.... I prefer watching Hill, Stevie, Hart, Brendawg, but it's hard to bet against Gwin. High speed, wide, rough, he is the man, right now. Wet roots, mud, tighter tracks seem to be his only weakness right now.

Brosnan won 3 of the Aussie DH, to Hill 1. Brosnan has not yet won a WC. 2nd fastest time of day at World Champs last year is his best result. Bummed he is hurt for this race. Troy is going to win one soon, this track seems perfect for him.
Hart took second here last year, and coming off his legendary run at Champery champs last year, he could put time into the rest of the field if he can hold it together.
Stevie qualied 2nd here last year, ahead of Hart, but got injured in practice and didn't race. He just beat Gwin at the Pro GRT in P.A., and seems more confident and professional all the time.
I still think it's gonna be Gwin, Hart, Stevie top 3. Racing is going to be sick this year!
It is the ink! There is a strong negative correlation between the amount of ink on his body and his race results. Ink is just too heavy! And he should know better. Polishing his bike for worlds to make it lighter and then add the paint to the body. :nope: ;)
I think D.Riff is another example for this. :D

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Both. Generally watch the top 30-40 guys. A friend of mine throws fun WC parties: bacon, eggs, strong coffee and bloody mary's, yelling at the big screen at 5:30 in the morning "LOOK AT THE TIME! HE SMASHED IT!"
Strange because to me it looked like you just read the results with your Hill opinion. Lee nailed it. Hill still showed signs of great form. He just didn't have consistency. Read and watch a little before you post another hill has no results because he wears funny hats post. He was injured and still had a few great results. Claiming others surpassed him is just silly.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
quali start lists/times:

labia
scrotum

val di sole is GMT+2 for anyone wanting to maths to follow live timing, which i believe should be showing up here.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Can we get the track walk times?
Aaron Gwin struggled in the loam and stubbed his toe on a hidden rock, Brooke MacDonald blew out his flip-flop in turn 1, and Sam Hill's head stayed in the pits to drink a monster but his 5.10's were seen tip-toeing around the final corner.

Fact.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Aaron Gwin struggled in the loam and stubbed his toe on a hidden rock, Brooke McDonald blew out his flip-flop in turn 1, and Sam Hill's head stayed in the pits to drink a monster but his 5.10's were seen tip-toeing around the final corner.
must be related to jimmy buffett

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Sorry if this has been discussed, but what time does this shindig start, Eastern time? My timezone converting skills are teh sucktor.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Non-sequitur tid bit from a recent Gwin interview:

"As your crash at the World Championships showed, mud is your Achilles' heel. Been practicing in the rain this off-season?

That's one of the things people keep saying that works me up. Practically every track last season was a mud bog, but people at home might not have seen that because it wasn't raining during the races. I hope it just pours at every race this year so people stop talking about it."

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
nope, was my first thought unfortunately....massive injury to have to recover from at his age
is it confirmed? seems like a awfully quick "diagnostic"... I would imagine it would take time for that diagnosis to come down... and would we really hear it here first?! No matter what age, that sounds like an awful injury to sustain... I really hope this is overblown hype. And no matter what he has, I wish him a prompt recovery.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
is it confirmed? seems like a awfully quick "diagnostic"... I would imagine it would take time for that diagnosis to come down... and would we really hear it here first?! No matter what age, that sounds like an awful injury to sustain... I really hope this is overblown hype. And no matter what he has, I wish him a prompt recovery.
he posted about the injury on his facebook page...

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
The French update on his facebook page was a little different than the english version. It said he was at the hospital and had just left the surgical ward with a broken pelvis but that they had more exams to do.

Anyone calling career needs to think about Fabien and his broken femur a few years back.

I have faith in GC.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
Damn, just watched the course cam on pinkbike. That track looks crazy fast at the moment, anyone know what the weather forecast says about the weekend?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
http://www.26in.fr/news/20446-cg-se-blesse-a-val-di-sole.html

"This is fresh as the official trainings begin this morning in Val di Sole , the second round of the World Cup DH : CG just fall and could be severely injured. The conditional is strict and our representatives on site to provide information actively. So follow hour by hour information in this news reaching us.

[10:50] : CG fall heavily and was evacuated by stretcher by rescue workers. The injury does not seem a priori extremely serious. Bazzarini Jean-Baptiste , after the United Hutchinson Ride team, talks about a brake problem and a broken leg. 2 to confirm information.

[11:13] : It seems that it is rather a hip fracture, following a collision with a tree.

[12:30] : consistent information from different sources: Cedric has suffered a malfunction of the rear brake which led him too hard in another corner. He then violently hit a rock and broke his hip, causing the evacuation but also in great pain.

[1:36 p.m.] Bryan Regnier , his teammate, teaches us that it was indeed his rear brake broke, broken by a stone in a corner. Kevin , the mechanic of the Brigade, is en route to the hospital.

[4:25 p.m.] The latest news is unfortunately very bad ... Cedric had 7 fractures of the hip and femur ... it is emergency surgery.

[8:45 p.m.] The reaction of Fabien Barel , who a year ago also broke the femur: " It's really lose the crash of Cedric, and more painful it would be great what is happening, just at the beginning of training with commitment, with pleasure, all he must have longed to put. I hope it will be strong in the head, it will not release anything, he can rebound and naturally I wish him a speedy recovery. Courage Cédric we wholeheartedly with you. "

even with a ****ty translation, barel is still amazing.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
that looks rough.

bummer for CG. I was hoping to see him on the podium this year.

Oh well, I'll pull for peaty, hes been strong here in the past, I bet he's still got a win in him.