Quantcast

Val Di Sole 2019

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I guess they got tired of everyone saying "show more riders". I felt like I had a concussion at the beginning of the coverage with just a gate shot then finish. That rapid fire shit needs to go away, there's not much point to it.
Yeah, that was terrible. Just nonstop whiplash.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I guess they got tired of everyone saying "show more riders". I felt like I had a concussion at the beginning of the coverage with just a gate shot then finish. That rapid fire shit needs to go away, there's not much point to it.
Rumors says that RB did that in order to show all the top riders which were randomly spread across the starting field after the bad weather during quallies.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
you do realize these guys had shorter intervals in their starting times than the top 20 with the tv friendly intervals?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
you do realize these guys had shorter intervals in their starting times than the top 20 with the tv friendly intervals?
You do realize I don't give a fuck and used to watch complete runs on freecaster right? :D
Even redbull used to show (more) complete runs 80 deep just building in a delay.
I've been to races. I know how it works.

They have the technology. That was a choice.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You do realize I don't give a fuck and used to watch complete runs on freecaster right? :D
Even redbull used to show (more) complete runs 80 deep just building in a delay.
I've been to races. I know how it works.

They have the technology. That was a choice.
The bottom guys didn't get complete runs on freecaster. I think everyone might have gotten the same length of runs since I don't think there were so many cameras as there are now but even then I don't think it was possible you got the same runs for guy #80 as for top10

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Mullet bikes are the future for the shorter guys in the field
Well deserved win for Laurie, guy has some of the biggest balls on the circuit, always gives it everything, glad it paid off for him.
Cabirou blew me away, that time differential was insane.
Poor tracey, if Rachel isn't there to put 10 seconds into her, Cabirou is.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The bottom guys didn't get complete runs on freecaster. I think everyone might have gotten the same length of runs since I don't think there were so many cameras as there are now but even then I don't think it was possible you got the same runs for guy #80 as for top10
They weren't whole runs, they don't even do that now. But they were at least some of the runs of the bottom guys, not just one gate shot and then a finish.

You guys really don't remember the 4-5hr broadcasts? Don't make me upload a race.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I found the cuts off to the hot seat/start hut/finish area a bit offensive to those riders whose run was being aired at the moment. For the last ones on the starting list they were cutting off to pan Laurie's face way too often.

I dunno, maybe they had a different broadcast director/manager this time?

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I foundo the cuts off to the hot seat/start hut/finish area a bit offensive to those riders whose run was being aired at the moment. For the last ones on the starting list they were cutting off to pan Laurie's face way too often.

I dunno, maybe they had a different broadcast director/manager this time?

Happy's explanation makes sense. It was just really hard to watch. I really did feel like I hit my head.........where you know something is happening but it's just not registering. They're showing this to a bunch of mountainbikers. They should be more sensitive to our disabilities.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Cabirou blew me away, that time differential was insane.
Poor tracey, if Rachel isn't there to put 10 seconds into her, Cabirou is.
While I still think Marine's run was the stuff of legend, don't feel too sorry for Trace, as she's beaten Cabirou 4 out of 6 times this year, including 2 ass kickings (over 9 secs at Leogang and ~12 seconds at Ft. Bill). My sense is that Trace was/is doing her best Greg Minnaar impression now that she's got the overall lead, and trying to ride at 90% (which is pretty much a guarantee for either a win or 2nd with the others out) versus going ovaries to the wall and potentially exploding herself at a place like VDS. There's no doubt that Cabirou will be a contender to win moving forward, but I also think VDS can provide some crazy win margins due to some riders not willing to push all their chips to the middle (e.g. I think AG won by like 7 or 8 secs several years ago, and then of course one Mr. Sam Hill was on his way to destroying the field back in the day before the infamous corner)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
They weren't whole runs, they don't even do that now. But they were at least some of the runs of the bottom guys, not just one gate shot and then a finish.

You guys really don't remember the 4-5hr broadcasts? Don't make me upload a race.
I remember super long broadcasts. Just don't suggest early runs had the same length as top guys. Otherwise yeah you are correct. Still it's better than nothing to see some of the early runs

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I remember super long broadcasts. Just don't suggest early runs had the same length as top guys. Otherwise yeah you are correct. Still it's better than nothing to see some of the early runs
i even remember complete skipped runs back in the day, can’t show them all when they start in 30s intervals

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, and if you haven't already seen the vital story about his "rotten, no good, very bad day", you should...and if you don't want to read it, I can summarize it for you: JVK = Jeans Jesus (sorry Rock Jesus, you're old product now)
what a legend

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
In Cathro's post race video he explained that Redbull extended the mens coverage to show 40 riders where it would normally only be the last 25. They did it because the top guys were scattered through the field after the qualifying issues.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
He has a phone in his pocket every race. The guy needs a jean sponsor and a phone sponsor.