Quantcast

Val di Sole (ITA) 2013 World Cup #2

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
It is soon, but not too soon as so is the next race.

I don't want to see Gwin not duke it out for the top spot but really, what was with him at Ft Bill? He looked tense and slow through the rocks and it appears that the rest of the guys have really stepped up their fitness when you look at the motor way at the bottom of Billy. I am probably more looking forward to Val di Sole now just to see if this last race was setting the stage for mixing it up on the top spot or if Gwin just had an off day.

Love seeing Brook and Stevie in the top places also so but this is the order I would predict.

Gwin
Steve Smith
Brook Mac
Gee
Hart

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
It should be another amazing race. Genuinely going to be a battle for top 10 spots.

As with the 5 mentioned above, add -

Marc Beaumont (He's done alright at Val di Sole before)
Blinky (Looked awesome at Ft Bill)
Bryceland
Loic Bruni
Brosnan
And perhaps even Neko Mullaly (or he will be the next young gun for the perennial "overdue" tag)

And you can never discount Minaar and Hill, although I'm FINALLY starting to wonder if finally Gracia and Peaty are at the end of their podium days.

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
Brook
Hill
Gee
Bryceland
Brosnan

Edit: I forgot about Hart. He will probably wild card somewhere in there.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Val di sole will be a wild one for sure.
I really enjoy seeing Smith and MacDonald on the podium. These boys are all smiles and deserve it!
Also Bryceland needs to be up there.

Gracia and Peat won't be in the top ten I reckon. Not because they're slow, but the top ten is so stacked. CG will have obviously a hard time to get loose on that track.

And I wish that Hill get his revenge on that track.

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Ok Hart will get wild and maybe get on the podium if he's lucky but Brosnan? Yeah he's a great rider but obviously still recovering from injury.

Apart from that I think Minaar will be a contender for the top spot and for Gwin I don't know. He really was off the pace. He will improve but if it's enough for the top spot is questionable.

bring on the hate

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Forecast is sunny right now. But it's possible that it will rain. There are thunderstorms almost everyday right now.

Val di sole + rain = serious business

Last edited:

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
This will be the race where Sam Hill might have the best chanches of winning a wc this year I assume.

If not he has to wait for the return of Schladming (could be sson!)

So excited!!!

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
bring on the heater and a box (with extra seat stay) for the suspension oil warmness..

seriously, cant wait for VDS battle and i hope no injuries/mechanical this year.. :thumb:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
The patent liscense is up on FSR, and the Demo platform has been out for about 5 years. Specialized wants to change things up and has been working behind the scenes with DW. Specialized paid Gwin a significant bonus to throw the first race. Specialized will release a new DW Link, remote split pivot, Delta link designed DH bike at round 2. Gwin will smash the field and Specialized sales will go through the roof as people witness the second coming of Rock Jesus. Fact. (it's now on the internet so it has to be)

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
the patent liscense is up on fsr, and the demo platform has been out for about 5 years. Specialized wants to change things to 29er and has been working behind the scenes with dw. Specialized paid gwin a significant bonus to throw the first race. Specialized will release a new dw link, remote split pivot, delta link, 29er dh bike at round 2. Gwin will smash the wheels and specialized sales will go through the roof anyway as people witness the second coming of rock jesus. Fact. (it's now on the internet so it has to be)
ftfy.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
The patent liscense is up on FSR, and the Demo platform has been out for about 5 years. Specialized wants to change things up and has been working behind the scenes with DW. Specialized paid Gwin a significant bonus to throw the first race. Specialized will release a new DW Link, remote split pivot, Delta link designed DH bike at round 2. Gwin will smash the field and Specialized sales will go through the roof as people witness the second coming of Rock Jesus. Fact. (it's now on the internet so it has to be)
Dual split pivots. One for each set of seat stays.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Someone fast by a small margin over other people who are fast.

You heard it here first.
But what size wheels, will a carbon frame win? Fox or rock shox? How will I know which bike is best for me unless someone who's a different skill level and body size, riding down a track nothing like the ones I ride wins??

Do you want me to make my own opinions? I wont stand for it.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
To be on the safe side spend as much as possible and every weird new standard you can get your hands on. Don't touch 26"-wheels ever again!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think hill will be back with a vengeance, and brook isn't going anywhere. I expect to see Gwin come closer but his times all weekend looked just OK. I think Smith will be way up there too. Gee might be a little further off the back

Smith
Hill
Minaar
Brook
Gee
Gwin

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
speaking of schladming - how are things progressing on their construction?
I hope that its all done because the event that they were building everything for is already over. The 2013 Alpine ski World Championships happened this past winter.

Hopefully they want to have some more bike races back there sometime soon.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I hope that its all done because the event that they were building everything for is already over. The 2013 Alpine ski World Championships happened this past winter.

Hopefully they want to have some more bike races back there sometime soon.
i hope so too!

and thanks for the update. i remember it was for a ski event, but that's about it. i don't really pay attention to FIS stuff.

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
I will say
Hart or Hill will take 1st place as the track is just technical and not that physical.Also the track is not that pedal friendly as Fort Bill sort of :D
Hill lost the race after the 2nd sector.He lost nearly 2 seconds there which is a lot for such short time.He could be easly 2nd.
Abt Danny this guy is just amazing on bike and if it rains we will see even more awesomeness :D
top 5:
Hill
Brook
Danny
Smith
Gee

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Amazing how quickly the World Champ and WC overall winners have been discounted.

Personally I find the actual racing just get's in the way of all the chat about 7 speed 11speed cassettes and my favourite discussion point:Which is faster, more pivots, or more shims?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
1. Brook Rennie (assuming beard is intact)
2. Smith (no poutin, no win)
3. Hill (rate modified single pivot > hex stays)
4. Hart (26" wheels holding him off the top spot)
5. Gee (unless there is a massive snow jump on the course)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
1. Brook Rennie (assuming beard is intact)
2. Smith (no poutin, no win)
3. Hill (rate modified single pivot > hex stays)
4. Hart (26" wheels holding him off the top spot)
5. Gee (unless there is a massive snow jump on the course)
what if there are falcons?

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
it will be HILL's revenge, on his alu bike, remeber his amazing worlds run/crash good for bronze

Gee on his new fury or

Gwin if Brook will let him borrow his bike.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
so who had the most amazing run at val di sol? The guy who was up 8 seconds and crashed, or the guy who was up 8 seconds and won/also the guy who was up 5 seconds and crashed?

I'm giving it to the second guy. Even though he kinda sucked last weekend at ft bill.

Anyway, Sam Hill has a ways to go before regaining his former glory. He still has to win a race. 6th place used to be a pretty mediocre to crappy result for him.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Anyway, Sam Hill has a ways to go before regaining his former glory. He still has to win a race. 6th place used to be a pretty mediocre to crappy result for him.
That with a mechanical, that didn't let him go in the hardest gear isn't that shabby I think.
Whithout that, he would have been on the podium, that's for sure.

Last edited:

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
That with a mechanical, that didn't let him go in the hardest gear isn't that shabby I think.
Whithout that, he would have been on the podium, that's for sure.
Where did u read it he had a mechanical ?
It was strange for Sam to lose nearly 2 sec for 40sec motorway.
This bodes well for the season then
Roll on the next race :D

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Read the Fort William thread. The CRC team posted it on twitter or something like that.

“It turns out that Sam had unfortunately caught his gear cable on his run and pulled it out of the rear derailleur, and was stuck in fourth gear for the final pedal where you need your biggest gear. So that was why he had lost a couple of seconds. But that’s racing! All the lads are on the pace and we just need a bit of luck next week for the second round in Italy.