Quantcast

Val di sole - WC finals 2017!!!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Ciao ragazzi e benvenuto in Val di Sole!

So there it is, the final round of world cup DH racing is on. The race will be held on Saturday. Weather should be good and the track will deliver.
Oh, and I will be there for the whole weekend :D

My hopes are on Minnaar, but his new tire tells me that Gwin will take the win and the overall. We have pretty much the same scenario going on as in 2015 where Minnaar and Gwin battle for the overall but Brosnan waits in third.
Maybe Brosnan sends another win?
Now some entertainment:

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Gwins to win. Brosnan can definitely do well, and if either have a good run, I predict either on the top step.

People to win this race in my mind are:

Troy
Aaron
Loic
Danny.

I can see Minnar doing well here, but I don't see him winning, as this course is a do or die, 100% all in kinda run, which suits guys like Hart, Troy, Gwin, etc.

I think Gwin will take the series, would love for him or Troy to take it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hard to see anyone but gwin winning. Troy and Hart should be up there though. Minaar will retire.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Yea I get the feeling this is the last season for Minnar, or next year at the latest. He's been at the top for so long.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Minaar will retire.
but he just had a new 'tire' made for him, he can't quit until he's sold enough to recoup costs. based on results and the internet he won't be able to do that for some time.

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I think Minnaar alluded at a press conference in MSA that he is considering pursuing his career until 2019 for the world champs at MSA.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm excited for the race, but damn what the hell happened to this summer? Is it really the end already?

as this course is a do or die, 100% all in kinda run
Isn't this the type of situation that Minnaar does well with? All the pressure and he'll end up at the bottom like normal, usually on the podium.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I think Minnaar alluded at a press conference in MSA that he is considering pursuing his career until 2019 for the world champs at MSA.
Ah, makes sense. Still has lots left in him, clearly.

Isn't this the type of situation that Minnaar does well with? All the pressure and he'll end up at the bottom like normal, usually on the podium.
While he does incredibly well under pressure, and has done well here (best result is 3rd I think), his times suggest he does ok here because he pulls people in at the bottom of the course, probably due to fitness. Against Troy, Danny and Gwin, I don't think he can do as well on this type of track now that the fitness of the competition is so high these days.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I wanna see G'Win! But I still think it's going to be Minnar. Finishing this race third will be Moir.

Ive been meaning to say something for the last 4-5 years, but the millenials in the upcoming class won't win till the best class of racers ever, get old and retire. Gwin, Minnar, Hart, Ratboy, Hill, Atherton, Peaty... As you can see, that's about what's happening.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Minnaar's advantage is just 33 points. So basically nothing. Qualifying will be taken by either Gwin or Brosnan. Wildcard for Hart. The race will be taken by Gwin.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Ive been meaning to say something for the last 4-5 years, but the millenials in the upcoming class won't win till the best class of racers ever, get old and retire. Gwin, Minnar, Hart, Ratboy, Hill, Atherton, Peaty... As you can see, that's about what's happening.
Hate to break it to you, but.. Gwin, Minnar(on the cusp), Hart, Ratboy, Hill, and Atherton are all millennials. I certainly get your point, maybe we should refer to the next class as the post-millennials, but I guess technically they are still in the juniors ;)

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Hate to break it to you, but.. Gwin, Minnar(on the cusp), Hart, Ratboy, Hill, and Atherton are all millennials. I certainly get your point, maybe we should refer to the next class as the post-millennials, but I guess technically they are still in the juniors ;)
Sure. Good enough.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Be sure to catch her result and you'll see why it absolutely works the other way around.
Talk about jumping into the deep end for your first WC DH race!

"Oh yeah, been thinking of trying this DH sport. Whats a good beginner track to ease into? Oh Val di Sole? Valley of the Sun? Sounds pleasant enough..."

Seriously though, Cecile has murdered the competition at this year EWS. Will be keen to see how she fares on the big bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I changed my post when I realized I had no idea who that even is :rofl:

fuckin enduro

Yeah she'll probably get humiliated but whatever. At least it's another female actually trying race the real peak of the sport and not stuffing lawn chairs into fanny packs and taping a microwave to their top tube.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Maes won a couple of World Cup races as a junior and 2nd at World Champs. Pretty good at slalom as well. Good bike riders are good. Go figure.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah she'll probably get humiliated but whatever.
Like that time Graves brought his enduro bike to the DH world champs and walked away with a measly Silver medal...

Seriously though, good to see anyone new in the women's DH field at the moment with Manon leaving. And the Commencal DH bike is a damn good starter bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Like that time Graves brought his enduro bike to the DH world champs and walked away with a measly Silver medal...

That's true because like graves cecil enjoyed a decade long successful dh racing career, and continues to race 4x, a discipline much like that worlds race. Pretty much identical really.

This is sparta man. Val di sole ain't no endurpo course, and it sure ain't PMB.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I have 4 broken bones in my back right now. I can't punch anything so grump. :D
Shit. Gary must have like 20 broken back bones or something.

Heal up you squid. Did 2 verterbrae in Whistler 2010 and took me ages to get the aches to go away. Back injuries suck.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Maybe the drugs will convince you that 29" is the correct wheel size
Don't get me wrong 29 is absolutely the right wheelsize. For giving up on vitality and accepting one's geriatric demise. None better really.

toods: probably not as serious as yours, just a bunch of transverse processes and a rib or two. No vertebral bodies. But yeah.....pain.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Don't get me wrong 29 is absolutely the right wheelsize. For giving up on vitality and accepting one's geriatric demise. None better really.

toods: probably not as serious as yours, just a bunch of transverse processes and a rib or two. No vertebral bodies. But yeah.....pain.
didjer barz explode? :D

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I predict Minnaar's KnobVomit wagon rubber will help him maintain speed over the VDS roughness. The "M" in his last name stands for "Momentum" after all :busted:.

Nah, seriously, I'm hoping Gwin will pull one more move from his bag of magic tricks, leaving me with a face which is half jaw dropped to my ankles, half smile. Not a nice mental image to picture I reckon -especially if you'd know me- but an accurate description of how I feel when I see Rock Jeebus running lines no one else seems to find.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I just wrapped myself around a tree not paying attention and riding too close behind a buddy making fun of his fanny pack. Couldn't see the trail and sucked at life for a split second.
if you were on a 29er you could have seen over him and avoided all this. yes i'd rather be fucked up on 26's also...