Quantcast

Val di sole - WC finals 2017!!!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm also excited to see intense put out a top notch group this year, first time in a long time that intense has had any bikes represented anywhere near the top, I guess making the switch to foreigners carbon bikes instead of crappy aluminum bikes really was the answer.
I don't think the bikes have anything to do with it. Firing all welders and outsourcing everything including the engineering (Cesar Rojo, Seeed) gave them significantly higher margins, freeing up enough cash that they used towards a serious WC team effort again. As much as the lizards want to make you believe it is the bike, I bet the riders would have had similar results on M9s.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I'm also excited to see intense put out a top notch group this year, first time in a long time that intense has had any bikes represented anywhere near the top, I guess making the switch to foreigners carbon bikes instead of crappy aluminum bikes really was the answer.
Didn't they race all but Lourdes(Carbon M16) on aluminum frames with the exception of Moir today on carbon?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
So back from the weekend and into reality again.
Being live at a Worldcup really is something special. The aura in the pits is truly amazing and to witness the riding that is done on that track is truly something special.
All I can say is, that people rode like they were from another planet. I really got goosebumps in a few sections when the riders came by. The raw power and momentum they are able to generate in such demanding terrain is absolutely amazing.
I will be there again, that's for sure.

Such a shame that the battle of the overall was decided this way. I was so bummed for Greg. These guys absolutely deserve to be able to fight it out and not get hindered by a flat tire.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Being live at a Worldcup really is something special. The aura in the pits is truly amazing and to witness the riding that is done on that track is truly something special.
All I can say is, that people rode like they were from another planet. I really got goosebumps in a few sections when the riders came by. The raw power and momentum they are able to generate in such demanding terrain is absolutely amazing.

Such a shame that the battle of the overall was decided this way. I was so bummed for Greg. These guys absolutely deserve to be able to fight it out and not get hindered by a flat tire.
Just like Gwin deserved not to be hindered by a flat a couple races ago :/

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
That pic proves that crabon rims suck and aluminum is better. On al-lu-minnie-umm (@Gary) rims, Gwin was able to roll to the finish line when he was on those aluminum DT's several years ago. Minnar had to get off at some point and push. This tells me that crabon has more rolling resistance and is more likely to tangle up the tires and other junk and jam in there. Yeah...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I spy a huck norris type thing ... didn't work so good.
better a flat than a frame i reckon. he was at least able to roll down most of the way. i'm sure he knew he had to finish in order to not be completely hosed for the points standing (vs a DNF)

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
These guys absolutely deserve to be able to fight it out and not get hindered by a flat tire.
they do - maybe their teams should invest in finding a better solution to this issue since obviously the tech they have now isn't cutting it. zing!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Indeed! I'm still buzzing from the MSA World Cup. The atmosphere on the side of the DH track at a world cup is truly amazing, with the unbelievable riding, the chainsaws and other stuff to make noise, the wasted people everywhere screaming, etc. I find it beats the show offered by any team sports where the spectators are sitting on their ass drinking overpriced cheap beer and eating shitty junk food.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Indeed! I'm still buzzing from the MSA World Cup. The atmosphere on the side of the DH track at a world cup is truly amazing, with the unbelievable riding, the chainsaws and other stuff to make noise, the wasted people everywhere screaming, etc. I find it beats the show offered by any team sports where the spectators are sitting on their ass drinking overpriced cheap beer and eating shitty junk food.
This. I absolutely love this sport.
I was a few times in Leogang and it was awesome.
But to be honest, Val di sole is SPECIAL. That track is so demanding that people are simply shaking their heads beside the track like, "how is that even possible". That, plus the Italian temperament add up to an amazing race.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
That pic proves that crabon rims suck and aluminum is better. Yeah...
From reading Endurbro (aka tubestrappers) bike setups/mechanic interventions. They are doing aluminum because it will bend before failing. Allowing a rider to at least try to nurse the wheel until it can get proper fixing. Whereas carbon will break instantly once somebody gives it a dirty look. Especially if it's been sitting in the sun at high altitude...(zing!)

That being said, I'm pretty sure his enve rim/wheel broke apart due to riding it without a tire. Would an alu rim saved him from having the failure in the first place? Maybe. Plus he had some fancy inserts to prevent a flat?

Hmm...should we blame knob vomit?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Ben Cathro has the best video series going right now. His line analysis and Q&A are superb:

Gwinner says he's doing about $1mil/yr total this year in this episode, btw. I'm guessing that drops off very steeply after him, and even moreso outside the usual top 5 guys.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Are you the commenter that inspired him to plaster it up with #cathrovision stickers? :rofl:
#thanksalotwesty

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Ben Cathro has the best video series going right now. His line analysis and Q&A are superb:

Gwinner says he's doing about $1mil/yr total this year in this episode, btw. I'm guessing that drops off very steeply after him, and even moreso outside the usual top 5 guys.
The guy does business well. Sponsoring, royalties, pro models and so on. He is also part owner of the team. Let's see if the Mob will stay with YT. Word on the streets is that they will change the frame sponsor next year.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
The guy does business well. Sponsoring, royalties, pro models and so on. He is also part owner of the team. Let's see if the Mob will stay with YT. Word on the streets is that they will change the frame sponsor next year.
Does he have a manager? One of the Housemans?