Quantcast

Val Di Sole World Cup - Live Thread

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
And another thing...right now 3 very recent US National Champs in DH & DS are not racing the World Cup and they all 3 have very legitamite reasons for either choosing not to or unfortunate circumstances that won't allow them to.

Results don't always get you a season pass on United Airlines.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
7 points going into the final...yowza!
Akula, you are a DH historian, how long has it been since the final round was that close? 2008 finals were close, but not single digits. I think late 90's with Nico vs Corrado Herrin at kaprun finals was single digits? Anyways, what a season. They certainly gave us some good drama in just 5 rounds.

World Cup is the f-ing raddest sport

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
7 points going into the final...yowza!
Akula, you are a DH historian, how long has it been since the final round was that close? 2008 finals were close, but not single digits. I think late 90's with Nico vs Corrado Herrin at kaprun finals was single digits? Anyways, what a season. They certainly gave us some good drama in just 5 rounds.

World Cup is the f-ing raddest sport
Surely it was Nico and that kid who was average a tech courses Minnaar back in '01 who where super close going into finals in Mont Sainte Anne. That's the closest one I remember, Kovarik smoked the race in a sweet skinsuit, Minnaar beat Nico by one place I think to just take the WC title at 19!

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Did I see that right, is Blenki on his way to a 3rd or 4th overall? not bad for a "kid" who people seem to say doesn't ride consistently, and is only a contender on gnarly courses. I wonder if he's beginning to develop some race-craft and pull it together more regularly... I like his demeanor and his style, I hope he keeps it up.
Isn't SB working with Nico Vouilloz? That may explain the improvement in consistency.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Surely it was Nico and that kid who was average a tech courses Minnaar back in '01 who where super close going into finals in Mont Sainte Anne. That's the closest one I remember, Kovarik smoked the race in a sweet skinsuit, Minnaar beat Nico by one place I think to just take the WC title at 19!
sounds about right...

poor Kovarik at that race. He takes his first WC win and it practically went unnoticed due t the rivalry that Greg and Nico had going.

Pretty sure Kovarik went a tear the next season with some massive results that no one forgot about.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Those were the days, Minnaar took the overall by 12 points in the end, although the gap was 38 points going into the finals.
World Cup Standing, 2001

Last edited:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
But don't tell that to the likes of Brad Benedict (2008 national overall series champion), JD Swanguen (2nd '07 Jr Worlds Ft. William ... Schusler... 41st), Ryan Condrashoff, etc. Or his own "support team" mates (Tyler Immer, Chris Boice) who have been putting up some solid results domestically and are probably salivating at the idea of moving onto the WC stage.

hmmmm... after a good 2008 Benedict had a full ride to do WC's last year and failed to qualify at many rounds. He crashed out and had no result at National Champs last year as well.

JD was given a full ride on MS Intense after his jr worlds podium.... he blew that opportunity so hard. And then got busted for smoking weed at US nationals.

Condrashoff was on a full WC shedule last year before getting hurt, and the rounds he did attend did not put up any results.

so yeah, those guys all had a shot to "make it"

Boice and Immer had great results this year, but that doesnt help to get you a contract signed last year.... Boice has a busted Arm but Immer should get his chance to mix it up at Windham, and maybe St. Anne.

Joey had a great 2009 season, is young, and earned a position as a development rider on the WC team. He is learning, it takes time... not everyone figures it out as fast as Gwin

and for you comment about Blenki being ditched for Joey, That is hilarious.... he left to headline a different team and chase some money (this is afterall a job for these guys)

Hate on....:thumb:

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Thats grasping for straws..... How many riders pay their teams to ride? The chances are so minimal its pretty safe to assume he's not.

Back on topic, GREAT win for Marc!! He's always comes across as a great guy and the only person I'd be more stoked to take the win would be Greg. Hats off:cheers:
I didn't say he is. I said we don't know. But if a guy thinks he's good enough, he could pay for his first season hoping to get noticed and get a real ride. Sorta like the Minardi pay-driver hoping to have a few good races and work his way up the ranks to Ferrari. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that there are trade team riders losing money at it.

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
Victor Lucas shot of Emmeline on the new bike:
Any idea how tall Emmeline is? It looks like she's riding a small sized frame, and it she still makes it looks massive. I'm impressed that she showing some of the clearly bigger girls (Moseley, Joinnier) how it's done.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Any idea how tall Emmeline is? It looks like she's riding a small sized frame, and it she still makes it looks massive. I'm impressed that she showing some of the clearly bigger girls (Moseley, Joinnier) how it's done.
I only met Emmeline last year at whistler and I'd guess shes 5' flat. That is a small she is on.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
But don't tell that to the likes of Brad Benedict (2008 national overall series champion), JD Swanguen (2nd '07 Jr Worlds Ft. William ... Schusler... 41st), Ryan Condrashoff, etc. Or his own "support team" mates (Tyler Immer, Chris Boice) who have been putting up some solid results domestically and are probably salivating at the idea of moving onto the WC stage.

hmmmm... after a good 2008 Benedict had a full ride to do WC's last year and failed to qualify at many rounds. He crashed out and had no result at National Champs last year as well.

JD was given a full ride on MS Intense after his jr worlds podium.... he blew that opportunity so hard. And then got busted for smoking weed at US nationals.

Condrashoff was on a full WC shedule last year before getting hurt, and the rounds he did attend did not put up any results.

so yeah, those guys all had a shot to "make it"

Boice and Immer had great results this year, but that doesnt help to get you a contract signed last year.... Boice has a busted Arm but Immer should get his chance to mix it up at Windham, and maybe St. Anne.

Joey had a great 2009 season, is young, and earned a position as a development rider on the WC team. He is learning, it takes time... not everyone figures it out as fast as Gwin

and for you comment about Blenki being ditched for Joey, That is hilarious.... he left to headline a different team and chase some money (this is afterall a job for these guys)

Hate on....:thumb:
Trump, you bring up some really good arguments and I am on page with you for the most point...but just for the record, Condro qualified in RSA and Vallnord, JD qualified in his first attempts, not sure about benedict. But man, 5 attempts with full factory ride and not getting into one show, thats hard to stomach.

Moving on...
Been looking at all the photos from this race (cant wait for gary and svens pics) and I'd have to say this place is producing some amazing photos, great light, great shots. Maybe best race of the year (this coming from a guy watching from home).

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Trump, you bring up some really good arguments and I am on page with you for the most point...but just for the record, Condro qualified in RSA and Vallnord, JD qualified in his first attempts, not sure about benedict. But man, 5 attempts with full factory ride and not getting into one show, thats hard to stomach.

fully agree with ya.. just trying to give the original poster a bit of perspective. All those guys have had a shot at WC's, some on full factory rides, so it isn't like they have been left high and dry.

JD finished top 25 at Maribor his first time out... so much potential.

I just hate when the armchair quarterbacks bring on the hate here.

Joey showed a lot of potential and earned a spot on that team, Yeti obviously had their reasons. To hate on the kid for not fully living up to the expectations is pretty sad.... and to say he was just handed a free ride is absurd.

This argument could be used for a ton of guys out there with rides and no results, but as you know, riders get sponsored for a number of reasons, and just because privateer X beets factory rider X doesnt entitle the former rider anything.

And Val Di Sole looked absolutely brutal.... probably the first cousr I have seen in a while that I would want nothing to do with racing a WC on. No way would I want to have to push the pace on that. The top guys make it look so good, and the level of skill talent these days is so far ahead of even 2 or three years ago.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I didn't say he is. I said we don't know. But if a guy thinks he's good enough, he could pay for his first season hoping to get noticed and get a real ride. Sorta like the Minardi pay-driver hoping to have a few good races and work his way up the ranks to Ferrari. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that there are trade team riders losing money at it.
dude...cars and bikes are way different. There are former NASCAR wanna-bes here in Asheville/Hendersonville who have houses and lifestyles 10 times better than most any successful World Cup riders.

If you've made it to even 1 show in F1, you're most likely near independently wealthy. If not, you've got a platinum AMEX card minimum. :D

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
dude...cars and bikes are way different. There are former NASCAR wanna-bes here in Asheville/Hendersonville who have houses and lifestyles 10 times better than most any successful World Cup riders.

If you've made it to even 1 show in F1, you're most likely near independently wealthy. If not, you've got a platinum AMEX card minimum. :D
auto racing is more about cash than talent. I worked in the motorsports industry for years... the price of driving schools, licenses etc is absurd... no one is going to get out there, start racing, kick ass and make it to the big leagues without significant financial backing... independently to start. I know drivers who have had all the backing in the world through their own finances and gotten factory rides from kelly moss to race in the american le mans.. bought into another team to race the baja 1000 and even dabbled in some ferrari only races in europe where he was trying to buy his way into Le Mans. The funny thing about it was... I am a better driver and most instructors I know who work at race schools, but cannot afford to race, are better drivers. Another prime example is Rally America. Pastrana, Block, Mirra, and now Deegan.. I'm sorry but 1 out of those 4 drivers is actually halfway decent and that's Block (as seen in his WRC debut where he held his own) Every single one of those drivers bought his way in. Block sold his portion of DC shoes for $40 million and decided to go racing. Pastrana, Block and Deegan? all the same....

world cup riders are nowhere close to race car drivers. you can buy the most expensive, best bike in the world, but the training just is not there like in motorsports. the ability to buy into races is just not there. at least with bikes and motorcycles it's 80% rider 20% bike... cars are the opposite

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
auto racing is more about cash than talent. I worked in the motorsports industry for years... the price of driving schools, licenses etc is absurd... no one is going to get out there, start racing, kick ass and make it to the big leagues without significant financial backing... independently to start. I know drivers who have had all the backing in the world through their own finances and gotten factory rides from kelly moss to race in the american le mans.. bought into another team to race the baja 1000 and even dabbled in some ferrari only races in europe where he was trying to buy his way into Le Mans. The funny thing about it was... I am a better driver and most instructors I know who work at race schools, but cannot afford to race, are better drivers. Another prime example is Rally America. Pastrana, Block, Mirra, and now Deegan.. I'm sorry but 1 out of those 4 drivers is actually halfway decent and that's Block (as seen in his WRC debut where he held his own) Every single one of those drivers bought his way in. Block sold his portion of DC shoes for $40 million and decided to go racing. Pastrana, Block and Deegan? all the same....

world cup riders are nowhere close to race car drivers. you can buy the most expensive, best bike in the world, but the training just is not there like in motorsports. the ability to buy into races is just not there. at least with bikes and motorcycles it's 80% rider 20% bike... cars are the opposite
You're a better driver according to others or yourself? I have nothing to add. Shame Gwin crashed.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand

Quoted for truth.

All the complaining on here re; riders who "shouldn't be there" is just jealousy.

Stop your moaning, bitches.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Not much to say except that it's cool to see Beaumont win again- fair and square (well, excepting Hill and Barel's absence, I suppose) this time.

As for the talk about Schusler....he's fast and there's no denying it. Sucks for him he hasn't qualified yet, but straight out results aren't all there is to getting a real sponsorship. Where you come from, who you are character-wise and what your future potential is seem to have a lot to do with it. It's not simply a matter of placings.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Beaumont killed it! 8 hour drive to morzine complete. Relax and work for a day before flying directly to crankworx. Bring on the photos...

Update: web upload fail. Waiting for one of the RM boys to add them from email.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
A bit off topic maybe but anyone knows if the track is open to the public after the comps?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Where this idea that Minnaar can't ride technical courses as good as others came from. . . .
That'd be ridemonkey.
Stiks assessment last year that RM's general level of racing knowledge is about a C+ is pretty spot on, though he caught quite a bit of flack for it at the time.

Not sure who made up the idea that he only does well on power tracks (obviously someone who hasn't been paying attention). It's been good for a few laughs for sure. Wasn't really worth calling anyone out for it at the time as Minnaar was sure to let his riding answer the critics far better.

After Vouilloz, you won't find a more perfect example of a DH racer than Greg Minnaar. He can ride just about any sort of track consistently faster than just about anyone else and has huge amounts of pedaling power on top of it. His mental, physical, and natural abilities are among the best in the biz, and in person his riding style is so smooth and precise it's hard to believe. Case closed.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
photo is from practice.... he did indeed run cut spikes in the finals along with a few other guys. All preference nothing to think to heavy about.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Woke up just in time to see the last 10 riders. Gutted for Gwin - he was definitely on a burner and probably would have walked away with this one. Great to see Beaumont pull it off all the same, having a Neethling sighting and Steve Smith getting his first podium (it's about time!!!).

You think the Windham race will be significant???

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Have you seen how consistent Gee and Minnaar are this year? It's ridiculous, neither of them has had a bad run in 5 races. Looky here:

http://www.rootsandrain.co.uk/compare.html?i=753x926

The flatter the graph, the more consistent the rider - look how much flatter it is for these two riders in 2010 than in previous years.

Using the dropdown at the top you can select just this year's races:

http://www.rootsandrain.co.uk/compare.html?i=753x926&year=2010

Gee leads Minnaar by 1.75 seconds over 19.5 minutes of racing. A lead very closely mimicked in the points race with him leading Greg by 1007 to 1000!