Quantcast

Val Di Sole World Cup - Live Thread

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

It's hot, sunny and the track here in Val Di Sole is SICK. It is even better than worlds here a few years ago, as they brought in Sam Hill to help make some changes.
---

It will be scary fast, and riders will be in the air as much as they are on the ground.

It's deep loam and dust up there right now, tomorrow is going to be off the hook in Italy. The internet however, is the monumental suck.

Track Photos

Practice

Qualifying

For photos from finals stay tuned for Fraser Britton's report that will detail all the action!

Attachments

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
sounds like a good course for blenki to turn those qualifying times into winning runs

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
is that a cut e13 bashguard I see there? And what about the top of the chainguide, modded e13 lg1? Pretty nifty setup right there. Looks simple and light at the same time...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Can't spill the beans just yet on it. It's a special project from a certain mechanic who wears a lot of black and green (and never gets the credit he is due) along with Specialized and DT for the hub.

Look for info shortly from the powers that be! I can tell you that the rider on it is super pumped on it though.

Last edited:

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
special ring and cassette setup makes sense as I think last time there were tonnes of riders crushing bash gaurds on the many rocks. This gives a much smaller profile for the bash, so they probably won't hit as many rocks.

I've got gee, minnaar, and fairclough for my top three on my fantasy team, anyone think I should be switching someone out for Blenky?

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
A dude who spent some time around here has been running something like that for a while, along with other goodies. It sounds neat from what I've heard and seen.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
is this from dirt's fantasy team? i didnt think you could change riders
no, we started up our own fantasy league modelled after the fantasy surf league. Much better in my opinion, the values of the riders change after each raced based on their standings, and you're allowed to change your team for each race. Much more interesting in my opinion as you're not stuck with a team of people that are injured and lose interest in the whole thing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So practice started sunny and dusty. Then it got dark. Then a massive T storm rolled in. Now it's sunny again and 25c and sun is predicted the rest of the weekend! I will stop complaining about Italian stupidity if this indeed happens.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Neko was in hospital after Champery race....?......or did i mishear what Cam Cole was saying.....

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Nice set-up and all that is needed for modern low BB bikes on rocky/tech race courses.
Pretty much what I run already; 34 up front and 11-19 6-speed. Been rocking the cut-down cassettes for 4-5 years now! Biggest benefit in my mind is being able to run a super-short road mech and a very tight chain - I've never lost a mech to a rock or in my wheel. Admittedly riding up hills is tough, but hey, it makes you stronger if you manage it!

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Hmm what do we have here? Something special for Val Di Sole? 31 x 9. 6 Speed.
what i take away from these pictures is that if this is a factory bike (which i am assuming it is...) why isn't the rider running the bb30 blackbox "descendant" cranks? i thought that the team was running the beefed up stylos that are spec'd on the 2011 demo I complete????..... :confused:

Last edited:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
what i take away from these pictures is that if this is a factory bike (which i am assuming it is...) why isn't the rider running the bb30 blackbox "descendant" cranks? i thought that the team was running the beefed up stylos that are spec'd on the 2011 demo I complete????..... :confused:
I actually think the Monster Team may be running the e*13 DH cranks as soon as the wide ones (83mm) are ready.

Are the new blackbox SRAM cranks available in the wide version? Maybe the adapters for Press Fit BB30 aren't done yet. This isn't a BB30 frame, the BB bore is bigger.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Whoa! Since when did Cedric Gracia start thinking he can't win a mega-steep stupd burly track??? :shocked:

He's the man among men when it comes to ripping a new hole in the beastly stuff!!! That pisses me off to no end. Somebody wake that dude up. Somebody stole his mojo!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
check the mags from 15 years ago when Lopes and I did that gearing to his slalom bikes.

Perhaps Fabian will show up at the worlds with his biopace rings to relive this look into the past.

;)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
what do you use for spacers behind the cassette?
I used to run a Cycle Dynamics gear-cut individually ti-cogged cassette, back in the day. They came with a bunch of spacers to put between each sprocket - just use a bunch of those. But really, anything'll do.

Tip: 7 speed = easy. 6 speed = you may need to source a longer limit screw, or be careful not to shift off the top of the block. This is with shimano dura-ace mechs, no experience of their DH offerings or SRAM.