Quantcast

Vallnord DHI 2013...

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
What kind of downsides?
Like quoted before, resale values as well as limited choices in the whole change-over phase, forcing people to change out parts they wouldn't have otherwise. Is the market large enough for manufacturers to do 26" and 27.5 on all products?

For instance I'm looking for a trailbike at the moment and the new Pivot Mach6 was looking extremely good on paper until the wheelsize issue. Would need nearly a complete refresh rather than being able to carry across a perfectly functional fork and wheelset from another bike for what benefit to me?

The fun factor is still there no matter the wheelsize but there is a larger barrier for existing users.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Like quoted before, resale values as well as limited choices in the whole change-over phase, forcing people to change out parts they wouldn't have otherwise. Is the market large enough for manufacturers to do 26" and 27.5 on all products?

For instance I'm looking for a trailbike at the moment and the new Pivot Mach6 was looking extremely good on paper until the wheelsize issue. Would need nearly a complete refresh rather than being able to carry across a perfectly functional fork and wheelset from another bike for what benefit to me?

The fun factor is still there no matter the wheelsize but there is a larger barrier for existing users.
so then buy a 26" frame or ride your old bike.

"oh the wheels of my old car won't fit on my new car" said no one ever

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
GOOD sign? Good sign for manufacturers you mean. Questionable benefit for racers AND consumers with a few downsides, like.....
"good sign" in this instance was intended as "clear indication". the comment was only meant to convey the fox has apparently committed manufacturing resources to a 650b dh fork. you read too much into the statement, and got your jimmies rustled.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Apparently they've started seeding. Not that anyone cares. Wheels size debate is king

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
let's take the wheelsize debate back to pinkbike, and talk about a DH trail that's entirely made of off-camber roots.
It has already been determined in the first couple of pages in this thread that the course is completely lame, and offers no excitement, thus we must carry on with reinventing the wheel.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
so then buy a 26" frame or ride your old bike.

"oh the wheels of my old car won't fit on my new car" said no one ever
actually, anyone who has winter wheels says that. and it's a major pita. when you've invested in winter wheels and you get a new car and your old wheels don't fit it sucks. same with bikes.

I've got a pretty amazingly specced bike right now caus' I've been upgrading parts slowly over time. I just got a new frame last year. and a new fork a couple of weeks ago. It sucks because I'm pretty sure that 4 or 5 years down the line, when it's time to switch bikes or frames or parts, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to keep the wheels, tires and fork from my old bike to put on the new one because of this stupid new standard. It'll also make it harder to sell those parts because everyone will be on 650b. I'll likely be faced with having to buy a whole entire new bike, but with high-end bikes costing in the range ot $10,000 now, there's no way I'll be able to afford a bike specced the way mine is currently. Or rather, there's no way in hell I'll be dropping that kind of coin on a bike, even if I could afford it, the bike industry can suck it with prices like that.

Kinda like tapered steerer tubes. Sure they make sense from an engineering and performance perspective, but lots and lots of current frames can't take them. I have 3 buddies I currently ride with that can't get the fork they want because they don't come in straight 1-1/8" steerer tubes. So they're looking on the used market, but deals are few and far between.

anywaysl, this is the race thread. I'm totally stoked for Sam. I hope he slays it this weekend. I still hope Gwin can pull something out of the bag, that would be awesome. And Smith. Hope he does something amazing too... so many good, talented riders, it's hard to pick a winner these days.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Stokage meter is pinned for Sunday. That said, weird to Stevie off the pace and it looks like Bulldog either had a mech or blew up somewhere. Maybe they're using the wrong sized wheels.
In the DirtTV practice video, didn't Brook say he was having trouble with his shoulder? I hope it won't prevent him from racing... anyone know?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I saw that too but thought he was talking about the shoulder of the trail...ie that it was so offcamber it may not hold up? Hope he's OK.

Last edited:

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Hill
Greg
Gee
Loic
Remi

Brendog & Blenki in the top 10, Hart & Peat at 12 & 14 I believe. Stevie somewhere in the 20's, Gwin was apparently freeriding. EDIT -CG did qualify afterall!! :headbang:
If you went back 3-4 years ago, pre Gwin domination, the top 3 are the same top 3 fighting it out for the overall! Nice to see they survived the 2 year Gwin bubble and are still going strong. Also nice to see Neko in the top 10. Hope Hill or Minaar can take this one since I'd rather not have a Gee domination after the past 2 years.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The lack of Hill fanboi stroking in this thread is disappoint. Maybe if he was riding 650b? ;)

Anycrap... looks like it's shaping up to be a sick race. Stoked. Looked like quite a lot of spikes being used from the pics I've seen? Gotta dig that...

EDIT: Just saw on the Tweeters that Gwin crashed in qualis. Yeah I'm an unabashed Gwin fanboi and I don't even Jeebus.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
So psyched to see SH #1 qualify on top! Seems like lately he's been able to ride on pace, just not keep it together in his race runs- I hope he can this weekend, I would love to see him win again!

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Looks like demo's really are an inferior bike. Gwin goes on it...sucks. Sam goes on it...sucks. Sam gets off it...rocks.
its very hard not to see it that way... to be fair Gwin had a crash in quali, which actually doesnt make things look that mush better for that bike but we'll see what he can really do with the "improve" bike later on this weekend !

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
its very hard not to see it that way...
This has to be the BIGGEST marketing disaster ever for specialized. This must be killing demo sales.

Isn't this the reason Voulliouz had trouble finding other bike sponsors? No one wanted to be the bike that he fell from the top on?