Quantcast

Vallnord DHI 2013...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i was referring to the internet as a whole. there have been comments on other sites about the track.

421mm is stock - 440mm is the proto rear end gwin is now running, hence me saying "medium demo (longer cs) : "
ahhh gotcha, so the part where you said "med, with longer chainstay" you meant "med, with longer chainstay"

Chalk me up as part of "the internet as a whole" you were mentioning

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i hate you guys for making me have to do this : from the manufacturers websites...

medium demo (longer cs) :
WB: 47.64
CS: 17.32
TT: 22.83
HA: 64*
RE: 16.93
ST: 23.35

medium session 9.9 (slacker setting) :
WB: 46.61
CS: 17.36
TT: 23.15
HA: 63.6*
RE: 15.51
ST: 23.86

medium fury :
WB: 48.46
CS: 17.00
TT: 25.47
HA: 63*
RE: 17.24
ST: 23.78
Wonder if Gee rides standard rear end or a stupid long one like he did on commencal

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Helmet cams are a poor way to judge a course. I remember thinking that la bresse looked rubbish and nothing like a W.C. DH course. Shortly after the footage was posted all the pro riders started commenting on how much fun the course was and that they all loved it. A bit like Vallnord I guess.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
1. Aluminum, link driven single pivot
2. Aluminum, link driven single pivot
3. Carbon four bar FSR with longer chainstay and free extra seat stays
4. Carbon, link driven single pivot
5. Aluminum, link driven single pivot

*Hoping for someone to steal the thunder from geesus!, that will make this years WC, exciting!

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Just watched Minnaar's helmet cam from today. I'm guessing nobody is running small rotors on this course.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I like how dude posted stock website data in a World Cup custom frame and geometry discussion. Even if we're told a wheelbase, chainstay, bar width, damper setting, etc is one thing...it's not necessarily the truth.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I like how dude posted stock website data in a World Cup custom frame and geometry discussion. Even if we're told a wheelbase, chainstay, bar width, damper setting, etc is one thing...it's not necessarily the truth.
Exactly. There is so much about this topic and the armchair experts that is amusing. Even if the geo is the exact same, the notion that the bike doesn't/shouldn't matter, because they are all pretty damn good these days, is still ridiculous. Look at roadies (LA, etc.) they talk about the difference of a couple mm of seat post, seat rails, etc. and how important that is. Of course this sh1t matters.

Nobody on the internet, and for that matter only a hand full of guys, can even comprehend what it's like to ride at Gwin's race pace. If he's not comfortable or something seems off, it makes a difference. It's almost like people don't think he or his crew know what they are doing and think it's just random stabs in the dark.

Can't wait to see this weekend!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
claudio's cam actually LOOKS stupid steep. which should translate to elevator shaft irl. very stoked for this race. about time to see another classic batsh1t run from hill methinks.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
^ I agree (Peg). The fastest guys are usually the most judicious about set up, in any sport and this is proven time and time again in every sport that uses equipment. To say otherwise is a fallacy easily disproven.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Nobody on the internet, and for that matter only a hand full of guys, can even comprehend what it's like to ride at Gwin's race pace. If he's not comfortable or something seems off, it makes a difference. It's almost like people don't think he or his crew know what they are doing and think it's just random stabs in the dark.
It is funny that you even said that. Another random stab in the dark. :rolleyes:

If you compare DH to Formula1, then Spez Dh team is embarasingly at gras root level. :rolleyes:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pedal your face off at the top then drop into some steep and nasty chutes that are only going to get worse and more sketchy as the weekend rolls on. This may be obvious but it looks like a good course for the all-rounders - the guys that are both super fit and able to rock the gnar. I like Greg's chances but Gee is definitely on a roll. Regardless, should be a good race!

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Exactly. There is so much about this topic and the armchair experts that is amusing. Even if the geo is the exact same, the notion that the bike doesn't/shouldn't matter, because they are all pretty damn good these days, is still ridiculous. Look at roadies (LA, etc.) they talk about the difference of a couple mm of seat post, seat rails, etc. and how important that is. Of course this sh1t matters.

Can't wait to see this weekend!
No bashing or shooting anyone down or anything but I am curious if anyone ever bothered to calc differences in average speeds of say Gwin on a stormer of a run and last place finisher? Everbody always talks how insanely much faster the pros ride but I have never actually seen any numbers on it?

Reason is that on a given run I would say that Hart would blow away Minnaar for example, so how much is it that they look much faster than actually being faster?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Riding loose usually looks faster than riding tight and controlled and Danny is an example of loose whereas Greg is Mr smooth and controlled. Also, and this may sound weird, but to me shorter, smaller riders seem to look less in control than taller riders on camera. I have nothing to back that up, but watch this weekend and you might see what I mean.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2011
Pacific Northwet
Riding loose usually looks faster than riding tight and controlled and Danny is an example of loose whereas Greg is Mr smooth and controlled. Also, and this may sound weird, but to me shorter, smaller riders seem to look less in control than taller riders on camera. I have nothing to back that up, but watch this weekend and you might see what I mean.
Gee has always looked slow to me for this reason (he is obviously not). Riders who smash through everything also tend to look faster to me as opposed to guys who ride up, over, and around obstacles, using there legs and arms to absorb everything instead of their suspension.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Totally agree, driving an open wheeled race car on a paved surface is the exact same as riding a bike down a hill through the woods. Hell, I'm quite sure Mario Andretti (even at his advanced age) could show up to a WC DH race and smoke these fools.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
If one knows little about physics, it is obvious that the longer bike is, it gives more stability. Ask Chapman.

Thats why I'm more amazed of fast shorts guys like Hart. Imagine to put Hart's sould in Minaars body, God knows how faster he becomes. :D

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Totally agree, driving an open wheeled race car on a paved surface is the exact same as riding a bike down a hill through the woods. Hell, I'm quite sure Mario Andretti (even at his advanced age) could show up to a WC DH race and smoke these fools.
Seriously, yes! :) Ask Moto riders to ride DH and you see that DH is a joke at the moment. :D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If one knows little about physics, it is obvious that the longer bike is, it gives more stability. Ask Chapman.

Thats why I'm more amazed of fast shorts guys like Hart. Imagine to put Hart's sould in Minaars body, God knows how faster he becomes. :D
His Cog would also get higher. He would also take longer to slow down. Your body forces a certain riding style, being short and riding like a tall bloke or the other way around won't work.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Seriously, yes! :) Ask Moto riders to ride DH and you see that DH is a joke at the moment. :D
Hmm, don't know about that. All the moto pros I have seen riding tend to bust out the spandex and road bikes. I have friends who have shredded dirt bikes since age 5 and get crushed on the DH bike.

It's very different technique and style when you don't have a throttle to save your azz. They may be comfortable with speed and air time, but that does not instantly make you fast on a DH bike.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
His Cog would also get higher. He would also take longer to slow down. Your body forces a certain riding style, being short and riding like a tall bloke or the other way around won't work.
Indeed!

If you count total weight incl. rider and bike, it still wont make huge difference and I imagine how uncomfortable 26" wheels is for short guy including prolonged frame. Pump, jump, manipulate rear end in corner etc. Longer bike with strong brakes and same wheels while mantaining momentum is best way any rider could do to be fastest. If you add 29" wheels, oh my god :D

MotoGp rider Rossi weighs only 64kg at 178cm and I wouldnt say same thing about DH riders i.e. lighter/shoter weight of rider will contribute for faster times on gravity.

Btw riding loose in controlled manner is faster when exact same tire loses grip compared to controlled riding and not losing grip.

If you work on some difficult things with stubborn attitude , Hart has shown what is possible.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Hmm, don't know about that. All the moto pros I have seen riding tend to bust out the spandex and road bikes. I have friends who have shredded dirt bikes since age 5 and get crushed on the DH bike.

It's very different technique and style when you don't have a throttle to save your azz. They may be comfortable with speed and air time, but that does not instantly make you fast on a DH bike.
Dont defend it as Im riding Dh as well. ;) Gwin comes from Moto background and downhill sport is nothing mysterious as someone tried to paint.

Voulouz was good at Dh but was not good at rally. Raikonnen is fast on F1 and not good at rally. You can keep on.

Not many can make HUUGE jumps as it is shown in video at previous side.

Each to own.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
well, this is serious business. 650b specific fox40 lowers, trail corrected. if they've invested for the casting tooling, it's a good sign it will go to market.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
well, this is serious business. 650b specific fox40 lowers, trail corrected. if they've invested for the casting tooling, it's a good sign it will go to market.

Crap. I'm afraid to buy a new parts right now. Not really for my sake but if 650b takes on in dh resale values will be crap.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Btw riding loose in controlled manner is faster when exact same tire loses grip compared to controlled riding and not losing grip.

Uuuuhh, no it isnt.At least, not ALWAYS like you are implying.

Sliding a bike down a track may look cool and it certainly can be quicker at times but there's simply WAY too many variable to say its faster period...Sure is trendy at the moment with the cool kids:rofl:

In most situations when you're sliding, drifting, riding loose , call it what you will , you are NOT generating speed.On the other hand, when you're carving, pumping loading the tires and/or using the ground to gain forward momentum, it CAN be faster at times...

And for the record, Vouilloz did more than alright in his rally racing career considering what he did prior to racing cars...Also your argument about moto racer is BS.I know a bunch of moto riders that can ride **** on a DH bike..Sure some kill it on the jumps and stuff but their skill does not always translate that well when things get gnarly and steep

Last edited:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
This weekend will all watch Stevie SLAY the course and take the win...Thats all that matters to me

Minaar will show the world the old timer still has it and finish 3rd, Gee will win but the get busted for doping, Gwin will crash trying to hard to get back on the podium, Brooke might be a serious contender...second to Smith ;-) . . .Thought Id try to say something that hasnt been said already

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009

GOOD sign? Good sign for manufacturers you mean. Questionable benefit for racers AND consumers with a few downsides, like.....

Crap. I'm afraid to buy a new parts right now. Not really for my sake but if 650b takes on in dh resale values will be crap.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
This weekend will all watch Stevie SLAY the course and take the win...Thats all that matters to me

Minaar will show the world the old timer still has it and finish 3rd, Gee will win but the get busted for doping, Gwin will crash trying to hard to get back on the podium, Brooke might be a serious contender...second to Smith ;-) . . .Thought Id try to say something that hasnt been said already
So do you have any evidence that gee is doping, or are you just saying that to be an asshole?