Quantcast

Valpo, Chile urban downhill - Now with HD Video & helmetcam!

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Whoa nice shots of Heikki there - looks like he's moving pretty good. I think he got faster once they took out his spleen - that thing was just unneccessary grams anyway. :)

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
that video is really good!! brendog was pinning it!
Brendan sure was pinning it! Watch out for that kid this year he is loving the Sunday and is looking like he will be a force to be reckoned with!

I have to say that was one of/ if not the most fun events that I have ever done on my bike! Absolutely Awesome. Chile has some riders that rip and not just Antonio, Mauricio, and Oscar. The depth of the riders was much more than I had estimated.

It was so fun to be on the bike in the middle of such a harsh winter in Colorado. I wish I had been able to ride and train more going into the event, especially with such limited practice runs down there. You could definately tell who had done the race before, who knew the course, and who was used to their bikes. I was like a fish out of water for the majority of the time down there, luckily my race run was my first and only "decent" run of the weekend. I wanted to give a huge thank you out to Victor and all of the race volunteers, especially JP, Roberto, Raul, Santiagoand everyone else. I met so many cool people down there and had such a good time I cannot wait to get back down there at some point.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Brendan sure was pinning it! Watch out for that kid this year he is loving the Sunday and is looking like he will be a force to be reckoned with!

I have to say that was one of/ if not the most fun events that I have ever done on my bike! Absolutely Awesome. Chile has some riders that rip and not just Antonio, Mauricio, and Oscar. The depth of the riders was much more than I had estimated.

It was so fun to be on the bike in the middle of such a harsh winter in Colorado. I wish I had been able to ride and train more going into the event, especially with such limited practice runs down there. You could definately tell who had done the race before, who knew the course, and who was used to their bikes. I was like a fish out of water for the majority of the time down there, luckily my race run was my first and only "decent" run of the weekend. I wanted to give a huge thank you out to Victor and all of the race volunteers, especially JP, Roberto, Raul, Santiagoand everyone else. I met so many cool people down there and had such a good time I cannot wait to get back down there at some point.
Oh ya, sure. Ignore the guy who got everone the entries. :disgust1:

Also, it was rad and next year will be radder (is this a word?). The idea is to bring in more riders like you and Dave to help fill out the field and make the talent gap between first and last less of a big deal. Super fun having a bunch of friends around down there this year.

BTW shooting furniture was much less fun than Parva.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

i could not agree more... everyone i have met while staying here has been rad. and the gringo's who stay after the race get to ride some pretty epic and long DH runs in the Andes

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Mmmm La Parva.
I would go back just to ride there. Did you guys go to the top?
We were on our way to the top when the steering on victors truck went out. We made it up just past the base of the ski area and a pin on the front end snapped and the steering went out. Luckily it happened there while going slowly uphill and not somewhere else. La Parva is for sure one of the coolest shuttle runs I have ever seen.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Bringin' the race and racers to the people. Awesome.

Thanks for sharing everyone. Certainly warms up the nasty winter!

Oh, and I am a dirty ol' man, so I can say this: Take it off Micayla! Right on! Like she just scored a goal in soccer or something...hahaha

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Just as an aside, it looks like next year will be an open invitation for pros and semi pros (with Elite Int'l licenses), no invite needed.

You will still need to go through the promoter to verify your licenses etc, but should be a stacked field. Just pay your airfare and you are there! No Entry fee, you get treated like rock stars and get to enjoy a week of glorious south american summer and Victor's legendary hospitality. Tv coverage, video coverage, and great world wide magazine coverage (5 continents so far this year on tap). Also, UCI C1 status, so points go 15 deep. If you are looking to qualify for a world cup, this could be your ticket in.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

the sun has set on my trip to Chile, and the last of the gringos has made it home.... all i can say is that i had an awesome time

victor and his friends are wonderful hosts, and made certain that i had an experience that will stay with me for some time. a HUGE thank you to victor, jp, raul, roberto, and of course ailen (i know i killed the spelling on that one) for his help when we almost got stranded in the mountains... i am sure there are people who i am forgetting who helped make the event what it was, and my hat goes off to them as well.

i am already looking forward to a return trip next year !!!

Ekistoflarex

Chimp
Aug 5, 2002
whats up heikki, dave & Fraser
Im JP

Is good to know than you have a good time around here, I hope you come back soon or for the next VCA... all of you are always welcome here.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
hi guys

here is a helmet cam run by the 5th place finisher sebastian vazquez who is also the guy who won the innaugural valparaiso cerro abajo back in 2003 (on a hardtail!). hope you enjoy.

thanks to all those who have replied and hope to see more of you gringos next year!
i promise lots of fun and as usual me and my track crew will be working
our collective asses of to make the course the best. ever.