Quantcast

Van needs repair/s.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
I've just gone over 330,000 miles on my 2000 Mazda MPV, and on my way home last night, it decided it didn't want to move. Lost power, shuts down, doesn't want to start. Get it towed to my mechanic, and describe to him what happened. Says it is probably the alternator, with a side of battery.

I figure I've been very, very fortunate with this van, as we've had it new off the lot, and it's the only van Alaina was in. It's paid for, though wife nags me that it will be a repair whore, and we need to look at new/er vehicles so we don't keep dumping $$$ in to this one. Yes, there have been repairs done, though my feelings are repairs are cheaper (for the most part) than a constant monthly payment. Besides, my mechanic knows this vehicle inside and out, and I've trusted him for over 15 years with his work.

Maybe I need to, maybe I won't get a new vehicle. Damn, maybe I just need to go on a ride and find some rattlesnakes.........

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
You 3 make very valid points. My mechanic still says as long as I'm getting from A to B, keep driving it. After all, it is paid for, so repairs are only an immediate hit. Yes, the trade would be nil, yet to use it for taking junk to the dumps or such, well, nothing wrong with keeping it parked safely. And never thought about sending a pic to Mazda. I wonder what that could lead to, if anything.

I do feel safe in it, as I have slept in it when I went to the Kamikaze Games or Sea Otter. Very comfortable with the right sleeping bag.....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Find out what is busted on it. If its greater than a certain amount, ditch it. If not, fix it and drive on. If its gotten you this far and still works without sounding like a ticking time bomb, then it should be good for another few miles.

Look at Eric's Volvo...

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Sell it on CL or get a quote from a salvage yard for parting out before you donate it to a "non profit" charity if it goes that route. If repairs are not terminal (tranny or engine) repair it if costs are minimal

Ask me why and I can tell you my experience about the "non profit" donation

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Scrub...... Why??

Wasma, I'd do the work myself, however, I is ignant of the ways of cars beyond changing the brake pads myself.

Though the final answer is/was, repairs came in at a tick over $500. As far as I'm concerned, to be the original alternator for 330k miles, I'd say I got my money's worth.

Time to van-camp in Mammoth!!!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Wasma, I'd do the work myself, however, I is ignant of the ways of cars beyond changing the brake pads myself.

Though the final answer is/was, repairs came in at a tick over $500. As far as I'm concerned, to be the original alternator for 330k miles, I'd say I got my money's worth.
If you can do a brake job....you can do a battery and/or alternator swap. Save yourself ~$250, assuming that $500 is $250 battery/alternator and $250 labor.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have this reoccurring question often with 4 vehicles over 200k miles. But I look at it this way, all are paid for and they all are very reliable vehicles; f250 PSD, 2 Land Cruisers, and Toyota Matrix. All combined with maintenance and upkeep the 4 of them in total are less than a single new car payment. F getting a new car.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have this reoccurring question often with 4 vehicles over 200k miles. But I look at it this way, all are paid for and they all are very reliable vehicles; f250 PSD, 2 Land Cruisers, and Toyota Matrix. All combined with maintenance and upkeep the 4 of them in total are less than a single new car payment. F getting a new car.
We call this the anti-stoney theorem.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I hate that little car. However, it gets 30ish mpg, has a utilitarian interior, is a manual tranny, and has been dead reliable. Well, I guess the only bad part is people seeing me in it. But I tinted the windows to help.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I hate that little car. However, it gets 30ish mpg, has a utilitarian interior, is a manual tranny, and has been dead reliable. Well, I guess the only bad part is people seeing me in it. But I tinted the windows to help.
I will remember to bring some uber liberal bumper sticker for the Matrix next time I come by.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Scrub...... Why??
I wanted to donate a perfectly running Pontiac Grand Prix that was just taking up parking space to an animal rescue thinking that they should get at least 1k for it since bluebook was close to $1500. After patting myself on the back for thinking I was doing good for a lot of animals I contacted the charity to get a copy of the donation sum for my taxes, $60. What?! I asked what happened to the car? They sent it to an auction company and get a small piece of the sale price after towing and auction fees. I would have been better off selling it on CL. If it had sentimental i would've really been pissed for $60. So eveyrtime I hear/see those ads for "donate your car" it rubs me the wrong way knowing that its just a waste of money.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I will remember to bring some uber liberal bumper sticker for the Matrix next time I come by.
You missed your chance. It was in the lions dens back in April. Don't you remember that Brooklyn-nite hit the hood with her bag when I tried to turn right at a cross walk.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
CJSP, thank you for the vote of confidence. Yes, I very well may have been able to do the job myself, however, my mechanic has worked on the van since new, and I feel confident with his work, and appreciate it being done right the first time.

Scrub, that is flat out wrong. I'd feel torqued, too, if all I received for a donation deduction was $60. The only car I've donated that way was the Cadillac my grandma gave us, and it went to the church that held Alaina's service. What ever they received, they deserved......