Quantcast

Van RC (Marz CR) or DVO Jade for coil love

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Looking at these two for a coil option on new S Enduro.
Both are cheep, old school, and unfortunately seem to have zee big shaft (I think?).

I have been down this road many times (coil on Enduro), I am hoping the leverage curve on the new one plays like it is claimed with coils.

RC4 on previous gen Enduro was awesome until it clacked hard on bottom out or unscrewed the piston due to the massive side loading.
I am hopeful new frame does not do this.

Thoughts on one vs the other for this application?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
So a previous gen Spesh Enduro had major side loading issues? Wouldn't have guessed that, but I hope the newest version has addressed that issue. Anyway, I haven't ridden either shock but there seems to be a consensus amongst monkeys a good solution is to get a Marz CR and send it to Avalanche and end up with a pretty baller shock for a reasonable amount of money. Truthfully, I'd be inclined to get the Marz, ride it in stock form and then send it to Avy if I really thought it needed improvement (or just needed service anyway).

Would think the DVO would be solid too, but have not read much about them - for some reason I thought @Jm_ had some time on a Jade, but could be wrong.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
So a previous gen Spesh Enduro had major side loading issues? Wouldn't have guessed that, but I hope the newest version has addressed that issue. Anyway, I haven't ridden either shock but there seems to be a consensus amongst monkeys a good solution is to get a Marz CR and send it to Avalanche and end up with a pretty baller shock for a reasonable amount of money. Truthfully, I'd be inclined to get the Marz, ride it in stock form and then send it to Avy if I really thought it needed improvement (or just needed service anyway).

Would think the DVO would be solid too, but have not read much about them - for some reason I thought @Jm_ had some time on a Jade, but could be wrong.
Not 29" Enduro X frame, but when it was 26" with the 2 piece yoke.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Naw, thought about it a few times, but never found a compelling reason to buy one.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Verified Marz RC reservoir hits frame on bottom out, bummer. I was hoping to try an Avalanche tuned shock.

Governor of Cally announced yesterday that an additional $500/person from the state will be going out. It's raining cash!
Turns out to be a good time to order EXT, shorter than normal lead times.

Pulled the trigger, helping out Italy and the USA!

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
First review:

Freaking expensive so better be a custom tuned shock (which it should be).
Pretty much same price as a Super Deluxe coil + tractive tune.

I asked for a not-so-firm lockout as this bike doesn't need one.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Ahw dawg thats so kewl.
But when you get it back you still have a shock thats mostly controlled by the base valve, which is sort of a ghetto design. I guess it goes perfectly with an emrald another ghetto design.

Dvo, is like a cable tektro disc system i mean it can work but.... Yeah

Those guys at dvo design the color schemes and graphics, the rest is done in china at the x fusion or sr suntor factory....

The ext is a little more like a trickstuff maxima.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Not to hijack this thread; but what would you guys recommend for a 2019 Nicolai Geometron g16? Avalanched tuned Marzocchi Bomber CR or an EXT Storia lok? They’re about the same price in the end for me (I’m in the industry).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not to hijack this thread; but what would you guys recommend for a 2019 Nicolai Geometron g16? Avalanched tuned Marzocchi Bomber CR or an EXT Storia lok? They’re about the same price in the end for me (I’m in the industry).
Which length do you want? Especially if you're looking for an 8.75, RC4s are around super cheap.

That's a really easy bike to tune a shock for. It pedals pretty well and the leverage curve is super linear, and fairly progressive.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Apparently, unless we are now talking about dicks
But why? I mean small shafts = broken shafts since so many frames now put loads on them (yeah not sexual at all). IS this all about them being too progressive?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
But why? I mean small shafts = broken shafts since so many frames now put loads on them (yeah not sexual at all). IS this all about them being too progressive?
If youve got a big fat shaft she better have a big valve at the end of the passage and some big cans.....

Large volume reservoirs can reduce the progression of the large shaft to normal levels

But the problem is that all the flow through the base valve, its like a ratio thing..... Many shocks dont have what i consider adequate high speed circiuts, (the ext has a rather large base piston)
And the larger the shaft compared to the body reduces flow across the main piston, as the shaft is backfilling more behind the main piston

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If youve got a big fat shaft she better have a big valve at the end of the passage and some big cans.....

Large volume reservoirs can reduce the progression of the large shaft to normal levels

But the problem is that all the flow through the base valve, its like a ratio thing..... Many shocks dont have what i consider adequate high speed circiuts, (the ext has a rather large base piston)
And the larger the shaft compared to the body reduces flow across the main piston, as the shaft is backfilling more behind the main piston
And that results in what exactly?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
If it would have fit the frame, I would have gone for an Avalached VanRC/CR.

Super simple shock and a tuner that has been working on them since the 90's should make for a pretty nice custom setup.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
DB too or just vivid?
from reading here DB and pre 2021 fox DHX2 are clones of an ohlins road racing shock and are not monkey approved (tm)

idk about vivids i was gonna buy one but i heard a lot of horror stories about them breaking and pissing oil

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
from reading here DB and pre 2021 fox DHX2 are clones of an ohlins road racing shock and are not monkey approved (tm)

idk about vivids i was gonna buy one but i heard a lot of horror stories about them breaking and pissing oil
So what is monkey approved now?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
So what is monkey approved now?
I'm not 100% sure but

dhx RC4s and RC2s, ideally small shaft but big shaft is ok too iirc? most here reccomend ripping out the boost valve if it has it

ohlins

EXT

FAST

marzocchi bomber cr / fox van rc pretty popular to send to the likes of avalanche for extrem tunningss

@buckoW mentioned liking the new fox DHX2 a lot too

don't know about rockshox

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm not 100% sure but

dhx RC4s and RC2s, ideally small shaft but big shaft is ok too iirc? most here reccomend ripping out the boost valve if it has it

ohlins

EXT

FAST

marzocchi bomber cr / fox van rc pretty popular to send to the likes of avalanche for extrem tunningss

@buckoW mentioned liking the new fox DHX2 a lot too

don't know about rockshox
So high end stuff and old foxes? Damn.

Anything for endurpoo?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Verified Marz RC reservoir hits frame on bottom out, bummer. I was hoping to try an Avalanche tuned shock.

Governor of Cally announced yesterday that an additional $500/person from the state will be going out. It's raining cash!
Turns out to be a good time to order EXT, shorter than normal lead times.

Pulled the trigger, helping out Italy and the USA!
I ordered my Storia right when Italy closed everything down, then got a very lovely email from the Suspension Syndicate guys a couple of days ago saying that it turns out EXT has had a skeleton crew working through orders, so my shock will be here this week. Stoked!