Quantcast

Vanilla or Pike

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Hey all,
i was just wondering, my friend is in the market for a new fork and he was tossing up between Fox Vanilla (R or RL) or the Rockshox Pike (Sl or Race). And yeah, i was wondering what you guys recon would be the better for for a dirt jump and urban bike. Yeah, thats mainly what he rides.... i recon the Fox is probably the better bet but yeah, thats my opinion.
cheers
ps: im getting my new bike verrrry soon :)

EDIT: i wrote pike comp instead of race

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Pike-through axle, beefier, stiffer, more adjustable than a Vanilla R or RL.

How much does he weigh? If he is light enough, I'd pick the Vanilla over the pike, but that would be in the 120-140lb region.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Pike. That is what I might choose but I am not sure if my hubs on my stock P.1 can be converted to 20mm. I believe they are 14 mm bolt on right now. Any suggestions.

lleberg

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
Umeå - Sweden
What PIKE do you refer to as the "comp"? there is SL, race and team (as far as know)

The the race and the SL has a steel steerertube (4130) while the team has a aluminium one.. and the steel is tougher and more long lasting.

I'm making the same choice, and the race seems to be the best of the three PIKE forks.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
Saw a guy at Sand Hill this weekend snap the fork brace right above where it attaches above the fork seal on his Pike. I beleive it was either the Race or Team not the least expensive one with the steel steerer tube.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i ride a vanilla. Its on my Kona roast dj/urban assault vehicle. It needed a rebuild after a year of heavy abuse. When i first bought it, i also bought the stiffest springs they sell for the vanilla 125r. shes been great to me.

the bike originally came with a dj3, but the vanilla is almost 3 lb's lighter. It Made a huge difference in the ride.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I ride a vanilla, but doing drops and urban/jibbing has made the fork seals puke out oil. I have heard of this on many occations as well. Get the Pike.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I saw the crash at Sand Hill too, it wasn't a huge crash. I would steer away from these forks personally and look at Marzocchi DJs. Fox's tend to leak and need a lot of maintainance and RockShox are RockShox. The DJ is strong as hell and needs very little maintainance (I've done nothing with mine for 5 months), though it is heavy. But if it's for a dirt jump/urban bike, weight isn't that much of a factor I assume, and so 3 more pounds on the bike won't kill your friend. The DJ1 is a nice fork.

I have a DJ3 on a P1 and my bike rides really nicely. I even race with it and I've done well. Just build some muscles and you won't even notice the weight. My 2¢.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Changleen said:
I like the older DJ3s before they got overbuilt.
they overbuilt them for a reason, they need to be overbuilt.

Marzocchi really does have the right idea when it comes to a dj/urban fork. Everybody complains about the weight, except for the people who use them. The people that use them, know they need the extra weight, and don't complain.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
look at the manitou sherman dj (NOT THE STANCE LINE some major problmes there) not one has broken that i am aware of, hell im on the same firefly that i have been on since 02, thats 3 years of jumping and beating, it has custom internals now though with a dope wind down travel adjustment. 50mm to 120mm. money

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
scurban said:
they overbuilt them for a reason, they need to be overbuilt.

Marzocchi really does have the right idea when it comes to a dj/urban fork. Everybody complains about the weight, except for the people who use them. The people that use them, know they need the extra weight, and don't complain.
I'm probably lighter than you. 150lbs.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
dexter said:
look at the manitou sherman dj (NOT THE STANCE LINE some major problmes there) not one has broken that i am aware of, hell im on the same firefly that i have been on since 02, thats 3 years of jumping and beating, it has custom internals now though with a dope wind down travel adjustment. 50mm to 120mm. money

I broke the crown on a sherman flick after 2 days of riding on it.

they break.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
how did you break it? i have personally never heard of one breaking well actuallly one but the guy hit a wall almost head on going 30

scvp

Chimp
May 1, 2005
Oregon
i'd go for the pike. u-turn travel adjustment is awesome. i know a couple people that ride them and the feel great.

The Pike is the only way to go.

i used to have a vanilla RL but after only a couple months of riding i broke the drop-outs.

i own a sl and my buddy owns a race, the only differnce is that the race has a optional handlebar compression mount and the floodgate is a bit easiers to tune (the race has a little dial thingy on top of the compression adjuster, and the sl has a cap you have to pop off and stick an allen down in the there and adjust it)

if you like to tune your fork alot get the race, if not i don't think it is the money.