Quantcast

Vans Brake Shoe

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Oh man, I remember those from WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY back, like the mid 80's. Unless they changed the rubber compound in the last 20 years, they are too soft to do anything with. They sure were (and still are) cool though.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
You save weight!

Seriously, though. When I got a crappy BMX to help keep my park and street habits going, I ended up going through a lot of those gryo cables. I'd break those cables ALL THE TIME. It got to the point where riding without was just easier.

A breakless BMX bike is the same as a singlespeed commuter, in a way (and my opinion). You want your bike to work when you need it to, and you don't want it to break or have to be maintained often.

I ride with a single cable now. It's ghetto rigged, but it works. I felt sad without my fufanus and abubacas.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
knock on wood, but I've never had a problem at the park or dj'n brakeless. Before when I rode with brakes I would do a 180 or something and go a little over the handlebars and taco my fingers with the brake lever. Almost braking my fingers too many times convinced me to go brakeless. When I need to stop I jam my foot in either wheel or on the ground, about as fast as someone w/brakes.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
Oops, I'm kinda replying based on something else. I'm replying about how i wouldn't ride brakeless, but I do dirt jump/urban hardtail freeride stuff. I'm no BMXer. I keep on forgetting this whenever brakeless stuff is brought up . . .

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
Without brakes I would probably have been hospitalized on one crash. I had no control of my bikes direction (hanging one by handlebars w/seat and pedals attempting to rape me) and was about to swerve into a big pit. Good thing I had brakes.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
It makes you a more confident rider, to say the least. That, or you'll have to be more confident with your riding before you do anything.

ServeEm -- you still riding rush park on fridays? I've got a class that starts at eight, but after getting chased by cops at the folsom skatepark, I'm really thinking about getting up early during the week to ride.