Quantcast

Vassar with a twist

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
This will be a short one...just got back from Vassar Farms.

For those of you unfamiliar with Vassar, it is a small trail network in Poughkeepsie New York and generally doesn't warrant a ride report (just not exciting enough).

But here is the twist. My regular trail bike (Yeti 575) is out of commission with a wrecked rear derailleur. Today is the first day in about 3 weeks where it isn't raining of overcast. So I'd be damned if I wouldn't get a ride in today. So I pulled out the DH bike for some trail riding, at least I would get a good workout.

And a good workout I got. My lower back is killing me, too much out of the saddle riding. And it is certainly different trying to push a 45 lb beast through twisty singletrack and rooty climbs.

I started off in a relatively flat section that has great flowing singletrack. This part wasn't bad, except for the one time I got a little too far forward and smashed my knee on the upper crown of my fork. That hurt.

Then I went to the first climb, not long but with all the rain it was muddy and the rooty section made it a difficult climb. Being out of the saddle caused a lot of spinning on roots.

I then came to the next section which is more twisty singletrack. It's unfortunate this section is a little overgrown. There is a nice little decent which was a lot more fun with the big tires and extra travel.

I then came up to the section with spurs to some freeride stunts. The first one has a bit of a ramp and I usually don't have any problems with the yeti. But the softer rear shock and lower bb caused me to catch my pedal just as I was coming to the top of the ramp and almost through me off. I managed this bridge with some creative use of trees.

The next spur was "Blair" with a bridge about 10 feet above the ground. The entrance is a flat bridge off a cliff, about 2.5 feet wide. It goes out to a platform with 90 degree right turn down a 2.5 foot wide ramp on a fairly steep decline. I made it out ok and just as I was making the turn on the platform, something felt all wrong and I stopped dead. I hate that.

So that was my ride today. A helluva workout and some extra challenge on what is normally a fairly uneventful ride.

Dog

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
splat said:
Nice ,

it is always a good thing to get a ride in.

but you know this has to be done .

It's tough for pics when you are riding solo. But I should get some pics sometime, you have a good point

robdamanii said:
Always nice to see some other people riding Vassar. Beth and I need to meet you there one Saturday or Sunday for some riding.
Absolutely!!! I am heading to Mount Snow this weekend but after that don't have a lot of plans. All I've ever hit in the area is Vassar and need to check out some of the other places (Stewart, Ninham, Blue).

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Tom Church said:
You know I took my DH bike there today as well. Great workout for sure!!!

Tom
No kidding, do you get out there often? It doesn't look like there has been a ton of traffic lately. I need to get out there with a chainsaw and try to do some more maintenance. The overgrowth is getting ridiculous. I'd also like to do some work on some of the stunts. Poison Ivy only has the one functional stunt (teeter totter is still out) and Blair has a couple busted boards and I'd hate to fall off that one.

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
I met some of you folks there one night. I live in Westchester now but used to live about 1/2 mile from there. To bad all the trails in the back are in bad shape. I wish I had the time to get up there to fix up some of the stunts.

tom

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
dogwonder said:
Absolutely!!! I am heading to Mount Snow this weekend but after that don't have a lot of plans. All I've ever hit in the area is Vassar and need to check out some of the other places (Stewart, Ninham, Blue).
I'm visiting the parents for Father's day, but the weekend after may be possible. If you're taking a chainsaw out there, Bojangles is pretty nastily overgrown and pretty tough to navigate. It's been a while since I've been there, so I don't know the overgrowth situation. I may start carrying my hand clippers just in case.

Stewart will probably be easy to do with the long light. I think we're going to try to race the Darkhorse Gallop on the 9th of July (assuming we're alive after the Kingdom trip), and may pre-ride the race course a day or two before.

Tom Church said:
I met some of you folks there one night. I live in Westchester now but used to live about 1/2 mile from there. To bad all the trails in the back are in bad shape. I wish I had the time to get up there to fix up some of the stunts.

tom
Beth and I met you there one night with Kathy. BTW, great job on the Fat Tire Fest. :thumb:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
dogwonder said:
mmmm...Kingdom Trails...have you ever been? That place is in *excellent* shape...
Never been. The 4th of July weekend is the first time.

How are all the trails at Vassar? Bojangles is a mess I know. Blair? Super 8 is still a bit crappy. Radio flyer is a disaster, or it was last time I was there. The upper ridge trails have some new, very tough uphill log crossings too.

I actually want to get back there...I miss that. Cut my teeth on that singletrack, and it's nice to return with skills increasing.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I just got back from Vassar Farms myself. It was a nice ride.Though I've been running into trail runners a lot lately and it can be a real danger in that twisty singletrack where all the log jumps are after the long decent (after the huge climb on the side near the flats).

I want to get some flat pedals so I can try some stunts.

By the way, if you ever want to ride Stewart, I often go after work with Stosh. This week I'm heading to the 909 with a friend and she's also very familiar with Blue if you'd ever like a tour.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
robdamanii said:
Never been. The 4th of July weekend is the first time.

How are all the trails at Vassar? Bojangles is a mess I know. Blair? Super 8 is still a bit crappy. Radio flyer is a disaster, or it was last time I was there. The upper ridge trails have some new, very tough uphill log crossings too.

I actually want to get back there...I miss that. Cut my teeth on that singletrack, and it's nice to return with skills increasing.
Blair is probably in the best shape, the stunt could use a couple new boards but there is one down tree with a go around.

Super 8 isn't bad, couple of down trees that need to be cleared.

Poison Ivy needs some real help on the stunts.

I don't even consider Radio Flyer anymore...

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
bluebug32 said:
I just got back from Vassar Farms myself. It was a nice ride.Though I've been running into trail runners a lot lately and it can be a real danger in that twisty singletrack where all the log jumps are after the long decent (after the huge climb on the side near the flats).

I want to get some flat pedals so I can try some stunts.

By the way, if you ever want to ride Stewart, I often go after work with Stosh. This week I'm heading to the 909 with a friend and she's also very familiar with Blue if you'd ever like a tour.
I just drove past the 909 (or at least I think I did) today, I need to get out there some time, what day are you going?

I'd definitely be game for a Stewart ride, I could use a little orienteering and get the lay of the land.