Quantcast

Vee Brakes!

Apr 14, 2002
Los Osos, California
What is the most powerful V-Brakes you can get? Or are they all pretty much the same, except for weight? Weight Does not matter. I have a generic Tek-Tro now on my 24" Haro, and I was wondering if there was an upgrade I could make other than the lever.
Thanks a lot,
Sean

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Properly adjusted, your "generic" Tektro will stop you just fine.

If you're really looking to upgrade, then I'd probably go with Shimano... And spend as much as you'd like when it comes to that... As I'm sure you know, they've got 'em at all the price points.

IMNERHO, you aren't going to notice enough of a difference to really make it worth the expense, though.

Hope that helps.

TamaSKA

Chimp
Sep 26, 2003
London, UK
try some Avid Arch Supremes. They kick ass!

Alternatively, you can go on with the non-paralell-push Shimano LX brakes from '98. I used to used them, and they were really powerful.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
If the current ones really arn't stoping you then you might want to try some new pads. Some of the cheaper brakes can benifit a lot from good pads (fibrax,coolstop etc.).

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
brooklyn snot rockets were the most powerful brakes i have ever felt. sounds to me like you just need to dial in your current setup though.

Apr 14, 2002
Los Osos, California
I would like to re-iterate the fact that I do not have a problem adjusting my current brakes. I have them set up fine, and they stop me good, but i wanted to know if there was anything that performed better than cheap-ass Tek-Tro V-brakes. Thats all.
Thanks
Sean

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
I would like to ad a brake to the list of stuff-I've-never-tried-but-think-it-would-rock list. Avid Ultimate brake + lever. No funny parallel push BS, just stiff as **** CNC's parts :D

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
I personally would stay the hell away from parallel-push brakes. For some odd reason whenever I used them, they would always flex the chainstays a lot, and be mushy and weak. I run an Avid mech disc up front and Deore Vees in back. If you have the proper levers, the Deore Vees are solid as hell.

But like most people have already said, your Tektro's will be just fine. Maybe if you want an upgrade, try getting really nice levers for the brakes. A lot of people don't seem to realize how much the quality of the lever affects the quality of the entire brake system.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by TamaSKA
Imho brake boosters are bad solutions for bad frames. :rolleyes:

why exactly do you say that

even my cromo pitbull with beefy brakemounts flexes the chainstays a bit, brakeboosters are a very simple very easy solution to the problem. There is no real disadvantage to them.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by TamaSKA
Imho brake boosters are bad solutions for bad frames. :rolleyes:
I'd like to see you find a conventional frame that doesn't flex under a powerful rim brake...
Sure, a nice CNC yoke would be a good solution, but it's not the most viable.

And I'll agree with the comment on levers, they make or brake the system. Avid levers seem to be the nicest I've tried so far.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
As far as levers go i would have to say canecreek levers are great. I bent a few avid levers (the metal is soft) riding street, so i tried the canecreeks and they are beefy and real comfortable.