Quantcast

Vee's for street

nickmtb

Chimp
Jun 2, 2002
Im switching to V brakes for street because I dont want to screw up my disc brake when Im pedal grinding.

Just wanted to know I dont want to go all out and spend alot of $$$ on a new brake system but I wanted to know what I should spend more money on.

Should I spend more money on Better levers, better brakes or wicked brake pads?

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Get old style XT brakes and levers. Or the brakes are the post important. Old XT v-brakes are the best v-brakes ever made. Old XT levers are really cool too, but they're not as necessary as the brakes. I have found that pads don't make all that much of a difference, but that's just me.

E

endtroducing

only one choice.

get a set of shimano DX Vees.

Thet are lighter and more durable than original XTs (no parallel push), come in race car red, and you can get a pair for like 10 BUCKS. Back in the day all to cool kids in the know used 'em. :thumb:

check danscomp and the hot deals section of cambria for them

E

endtroducing

do yourself a favor and pick up a decent booster too. say, a Salsa.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
cheap vees seem to work that greatest....

they do there job well becasue they dont have all those bells and whitsles that facy ones have. i have found my weaker noname tektro brake works waaaaaaaaaaay better then my arch rival, even wehn both of them have brand new housing and cables and such. plus no name brakes dont cost 60 bucks each.

:cool:

Niterider12

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
as for magura hydros i have them on my dj ride they work very well they are super adjustable and have good stopping power. I also on my xc ride have a cheap pair of promax v brake these work real well actually pretty durable 2 i have crashed on them many times.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Hmm.. with V's I would just get something cheap. The XT's will have the most power. All the XT's will devolp play in the pivots so check on them every once in a while. Levers get whatever, I like Avids. Check eBay, good deals pop up on there every once in a while for Vee's

Is lame as it my sound, I have a complete set of Forte levers and brakes on my commuter bike and they work awesome. I think it was like $25 for the whole set and they are rather lite.

btw - I have a set of old-ish ONZA vee brakes, the cool CNC kind that I would be willing to part with, pm if interested