Quantcast

Vegetarians Aren't Stupid Afterall!

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
Suggested read..."Mad Cowboy" by Howard F. Lyman. Subtitle: "Plain Truth From the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat".

It's worth getting from the library and sticking a nose into. Made me stop eating meat (though I'm back to fish and sometimes chicken now...and I'm trying to stop that, too). Only bummer was I didn't manage my veg-diet very well and gained 10 or 15 lbs:(

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
Echo said:
It's not "fear". I don't have to "fear" it because I don't eat it. But it is definitely "corporate greed". Anyone who thinks Farmer Jed gives a rat's ass if the meat he sells is safe, well good luck with that. He's in it for money and nothing else. He will do the bare minimum required to keep the USDA off his back.

Do you know why doctors don't have people take antibiotics for their whole lives? Because if you take antibiotics for an extended period of time, your body eventually stops fighting disease by itself. These corpses you are eating have been shot up with antibiotics from the day they were born, and just like their parents and their parents parents and so on. Some of these antibiotics are not approved for humans either. Do you think that stuff just magically goes away sometime between when the animal gets slaughtered and when it ends up in the grocery store? Are you confident that Farmer Jed isn't using bovine spinal/brain material to feed his chickens? Sure the USDA says he can't. Do you think they really have the resources to prevent it? Farmer Jed wants to make as much money as possible. That's the bottom line.
isn't farmer Jed growing your veggies too...!!!!...like there is no chemicals added to produce a better plant....yeah...ok....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
stephanie said:
Suggested read..."Mad Cowboy" by Howard F. Lyman. Subtitle: "Plain Truth From the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat".

It's worth getting from the library and sticking a nose into. Made me stop eating meat (though I'm back to fish and sometimes chicken now...and I'm trying to stop that, too). Only bummer was I didn't manage my veg-diet very well and gained 10 or 15 lbs:(
Chicken is probably worse than beef in terms of commercialized farms (like echo mentions - the feed and antibiotics).

You also have to watch certain kinds of fish as they farm various species/varieties of those too.

Its all one big experiment basically whether its commerical meat, produce, or whatever.

But you can get "organic" free range meat, wild caught salmon, orangic produce (obviously), etc or just move to another country with stricter regulations and less lobby influence, heh.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ktmsx said:
isn't farmer Jed growing your veggies too...!!!!...like there is no chemicals added to produce a better plant....yeah...ok....
Gotta eat something. I've made a decision regarding which I think is healthier. Have you?

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
syadasti said:
Chicken is probably worse than beef in terms of commercialized farms (like echo mentions - the feed and antibiotics).

You also have to watch certain kinds of fish as they farm various species/varieties of those too.

Its all one big experiment basically whether its commerical meat, produce, or whatever.

But you can get "organic" free range meat, wild caught salmon, orangic produce (obviously), etc or just move to another country with stricter regulations and less lobby influence, heh.

*sigh*...i know...chicken. of course the poultry industry is bad, too.

anything that's not grown in your backyard should be subject to a critical eye (and even at that, you should get your soil tested before you grow just to make sure)...

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
Echo said:
Gotta eat something. I've made a decision regarding which I think is healthier. Have you?
shoot compared to how I used to live a few chemicals in a piece of meet will not hurt....seriously I think moderation is the key to everything....