Quantcast

Vegetarians come and show yourselves!

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
I've been a vegetarian since Xmas 2000. I'm still eating fish though...

Recently I did some research on the whole "Vegetarian going to the gym" deal and I'm quite sure that it doesn't make any difference...
What do you guys think/ know?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Hailight said:
I've been a vegetarian since Xmas 2000. I'm still eating fish though...

Recently I did some research on the whole "Vegetarian going to the gym" deal and I'm quite sure that it doesn't make any difference...
What do you guys think/ know?
so why are you a veg?

I ask, cuz some fish are far more unhealthy for you than beef, pork, chicken... some larger fish have absurb amounts of mercury.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
I've been primarily veg since I was about 12. The beginning years I was off and on with chicken and fish, so I wasn’t a full “vegetarian”. For the past 7 years I’ve been full veg with a 5 year period of being totally vegan.

Critics can say what they want, bottom line is… the older I get the more physically fit I become and the better I feel. Which is contrary to the way it usually works.

I have nothing against anyone who chooses to eat meat, it’s just a life style I don’t partake in. Most of my family and friends are all meat eaters and I’m fine with it. I definitely think they could do better for themselves, but I’m fine with it.

Hailight, as for going to the gym, I go all winter. Just make sure you up your protein mixes (beans, nuts, and cheeses [if you eat them]). It’s all about making a “complete protein” for your body once a day. You’re body needs 21 amino acids to live, 12 are made in house, the other 9 you need to consume. A “complete protein” contains all 21, that’s why meat is so convenient, it’s already a “complete protein”. I’m pretty sure that all the meats and milks of all living beings are complete proteins.

It was once believed that you must eat meat or drink milk to obtain complete proteins, but that theory has been proven untrue. Nutritionists have found that adequate complete proteins can be created by combining vegetables, grains, and beans just as easily as taking in that convenient, but very unhealthy, piece of meat. People tend to think that meat gives you some kind of protein that is special and unique, it does, it’s a complete protein. What they usually don’t understand is that; that same unique protein can be made from veg as well, and if you stop for a minute and look at the harmful effects that meat has had on the human race (health and environment), mixing veg for complete proteins is probably the way we should be doing it.

If you would like to take the time to read into it so you can do it right, take a look at this artcle and search more like it. And BTW, try and stay away from soy unless it’s fermented soy (miso, soy sauce, tempeh).

http://www.vegsource.com/attwood/complete_protein.htm

Treat your body right, live long, and ride hard!:)

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
soo the reason why I eat fish is first cause I love it, second to get some protein and third cause in Germany we're living about 200m from a pretty big lake and get 95% of our fish from there.

As I've been 10 when we (my whole family) became Vegetarian I don't really remember the reasons, it had to do with mad cow disease and some show on how they pump drugs into chickens to make them grow faster aso. The reason why I stay Vegetarien is clearly the health factor. I did grow up to a person that's way more aware of what I'm eating than others my age.

You're right that fish are living. But if you actually look into it you'll find that there are different types of vegetarians, reaching from my type as I'm eating diary and fish to total vegan. Just looked it up, I'm a so called Pesco-Vegetarian...

You are right, fish and seafood can be all poisoned and bad for you but as I said, we mainly eat fish from the local lake. There's no power boats allowed on it other than the fishers.

And I don't try to get meat eaters to become vegetarian, it's everybodys choice. Just like smoke or don't...

EDIT:

Why do you say stay away from soy? Because it contains estrogen?

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Hailight said:
Why do you say stay away from soy? Because it contains estrogen?
There has been a lot of recent studies that have found some potential problems associated with the soy bean and it’s by-products when un-fermented. Soy contains the Phytoestrogens (isoflavones) genistein and daidzein. These have been linked to possible harmful effects on the thyroid gland. There are also some other very disturbing facts about soy and it’s adverse effects, take a look:

http://www.mercola.com/2004/jan/21/soy.htm

There are a lot of good books out right now about the dangers of soy products.

For me, until the truth is more clear and the research has caught up with the sales, I’m going to stay away from it, especially considering I was over dosing on the stuff for many years.

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
thanks for the advice,
I think all this soy "ground beef" and soy "sausages" aso is fermented, isn't it? I'm not drinking soy milk or anything, haven't even ever tried it. I love cow milk and joghurt way too much...

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Hailight said:
thanks for the advice,
I think all this soy "ground beef" and soy "sausages" aso is fermented, isn't it? I'm not drinking soy milk or anything, haven't even ever tried it. I love cow milk and joghurt way too much...
I pretty sure those products are actually not fermented. I think there is only 3 knids of truly “fermented” soy products; miso, soy sauce, and tempeh.

Those “designer” soy “fake” meats are potentially some of the worst products you can eat.
They all contain a lot of “soy protein isolate”, which has been known to have high, concentrated, levels of the bad stuff. To make matters worse, most of the companies that produce them will not reveal their “secret” recipes and processes.

The technologies behind them are all very new and the competition is stiff. Some of those products are extremely chemically enhanced, even when the package says “made from organic soy beans”. The wording of the organic statement can be misleading, and tells nothing of the process of creating a, seemingly, perfect Italian Sausage out of beans.

I’m a little hesitant when it comes to eating food that has been created with strange innovative chemicals and textile industry machines. Yes, they use textile style machines to produce some of those “mock” meats. :think:

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
oh man looks like I'll have to watch out, damn all the food industries, I just want something healthy and you can hardly even find cereal without sugar :mumble: :redhot:

so all the body builders that eat concentrated soy and whey protein crap are basically having tons of the bad stuff too!? I allways knew that it isn't good for you:dead:

EDIT:

Just found this
Fermented soyfood include soy sauce, misco soup, natto, tempeh and fermented tofu

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Hailight said:
so all the body builders that eat concentrated soy and whey protein crap are basically having tons of the bad stuff too!? I allways knew that it isn't good for you:dead:
Yea, and the millions of babies currently being pumped up on soy formula morning, noon, and night. Scary stuff!:eek:

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
I think I'll just start growing my own vegetables and fruit in the backyard

but then there's the neighbour who uses pestizides for the roses >:(

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Hailight said:
EDIT:

Just found this
Quote:
Fermented soyfood include soy sauce, misco soup, natto, tempeh and fermented tofu
Nice one, I never heard of natto before, and I didn't know you could get fermented tofu either... good to know. I'm one of those people who actually likes the taste of tofu.

Yo, I just remembered, a really good "complete protein" food is Quinoa. It's this little grain that you cook up like rice, it's very tasty and packed with protein.
http://www.specialfoods.com/quinoa.html

It's one of the only "singular" grains or veggies that is already a complete protein. I love it

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
SkaredShtles said:
I've been a vegetarian for about 35 years.

I do eat beef, poultry, pork, and seafood, but consider myself a vegetarian.

:D

Growing your own fruit & veg is *never* a bad idea. :thumb:
:stupid:

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I've been a vegetarian for about 4, maybe 5 years now..

I was a veg for 4 years before that.. then there was a gap where I did eat meat (blame it on the hunger and the chicken a la king MRE).

I never quite understood why some 'vegetarians' will eat fish. some 'vegetarians' also eat foie gras. some 'vegetarians' also eat steak..........

my rule: if it has a face, I'm not eating it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MudGrrl said:
I never quite understood why some 'vegetarians' will eat fish. some 'vegetarians' also eat foie gras. some 'vegetarians' also eat steak..........
Maybe you should clarify that with "vegetarians who have chosen to be so due to moral issues" - or do you think that all vegetarians are that way because of moral concerns?

Because many vegetarians are that way due to health concerns. Or maybe, like my girlfriend, they just don't like meat. Nothing moral, she just doesn't like it. So she eats fish, and will eat things made with chicken stock. Maybe that doesn't make her a "strict" vegetarian, but it's sure easier to say that than to explain, "I won't eat beef, pork or chicken, but I'll eat fish, and chicken stock is okay."

Aren't they allowed to eat whatever they want?

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
binary visions said:
Aren't they allowed to eat whatever they want?
Everyone is allowed to eat whatever they want.

My bf eats steak, and I don't go into a rage yelling at him about meat being murder. Psssh, I'll buy and cook him a steak.

The problem with people who say they are vegetarian, then eat chicken and fish or whatever is this:

when they go into a restaurant and say they are vegetarian and eat chicken, it misleads people into thinking that all vegetarians eat chicken.

I can't tell you how many times, after I have said that I am a vegetarian, that a person leans over and says something to the effect of "oh, you eat fish then".

If you eat chicken, fish, beef, .... whatever .... you are not a friggin vegetarian. Quit confusing the crp out of people. It's ok that you eat fish. It's ok that you eat chicken. Sht, eat a ton of bacon for all I care. Just don't go to a restaurant and ask for something vegetarian with chicken in it, stating that you are a vegetarian.

Next time I order a 'vegetarian' dish and it has chicken in it, I'm gonna hunt one of the 'vegetarians' down and make them show me where chickens are plucked from vines.:mumble:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MudGrrl said:
when they go into a restaurant and say they are vegetarian and eat chicken, it misleads people into thinking that all vegetarians eat chicken.<snip>

Next time I order a 'vegetarian' dish and it has chicken in it, I'm gonna hunt one of the 'vegetarians' down and make them show me where chickens are plucked from vines.:mumble:
I see what you're saying, but seriously now, a pretty large number of "vegetarians" eat fish; I think there is a distinctive line between chicken/pork/beef and fish - not that it's not a little misleading to say "vegetarian" and mean, "only fish" but pick your battles here.

Your gripe is with the lousy assumptions that people make, not with the people who say that they're vegetarians but will still eat fish. Vegetarian should imply "no meat of any type" - and if the person ordering makes an exception, well, that's their perogative. Life is full of exceptions. Slap around the menu writers or the chefs who assume the exception is a rule.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
LordOpie said:
For some, it's more about ethics. Fish are more 'free-range' than meat.

uhhhh not really. most commercial fish are raised in hatcheris or in "pens" in open water.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
SkaredShtles said:
Do you eat those? :think:

I've got a coworker who draws the line at anything that has an "out" port. :D
So does she not eat yogurt with the various active cultures that have out ports? What about the microorganisms on veggies, fruits, and other food? Guess these vegetarians aren't real ones since they eat/kill microorganisms :clue:

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
binary visions said:
I see what you're saying, but seriously now, a pretty large number of "vegetarians" eat fish; I think there is a distinctive line between chicken/pork/beef and fish - not that it's not a little misleading to say "vegetarian" and mean, "only fish" but pick your battles here.
That pretty large number of "vegetarians" you are referring to are not vegetarians, no matter how cutesy and trendy their new way of eating seems.

what is that distinctive line between chicken/pork/beef and fish?
How many people do you know eat beef and call themselves vegetarian? Why are chicken and fish included with the vegetables?

Have you looked at any vegetarian recipes? Tell me where fish is listed as an ingredient. Show me the vegetarian cookbook section where chicken is a main ingredient.

binary visions said:
Your gripe is with the lousy assumptions that people make, not with the people who say that they're vegetarians but will still eat fish.
No, my gripe is with the people who will have a chicken sandwich, foie gras, and fish, and call themselves vegetarians. They are educated enough to make a decision based on morals or nutrition, but for some odd reason can't figure out what a fish is. They mislead people into thinking that crabcakes/ escargot/ fish are suitable vegetarian foods, when they are not.

binary visions said:
Vegetarian should imply "no meat of any type" - and if the person ordering makes an exception, well, that's their perogative. Life is full of exceptions. Slap around the menu writers or the chefs who assume the exception is a rule.
No meat of any type... that's what being a vegetarian is.

I don't have a problem with people just eating chicken, fish, pork, snails, horses, koalas.......If they want to eat an appetizer platter made out of the animal kingdom, have fun. Don't go advertising you're vegetarian if you're eating meat.

But when someone declares that they are vegetarian, and then orders a chicken sandwich without the bacon because they are vegetarian, it's a sign that they have clearly failed studying the differences between plant and animals.

Regarding your comment about slapping around menu writers and chefs- I have written to restaurants and grocery stores requesting vegetarian foods. I do make my voice heard, as I am doing here.

I apologize if I am coming off rather acidic, it's really not my goal.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Do you eat those? :think:

I've got a coworker who draws the line at anything that has an "out" port. :D
no, I don't eat those

I think your co-worker has a pretty good rule... that's probably better than my rule (which more applies to the cute and fuzzies of the world).

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
syadasti said:
So does she not eat yogurt with the various active cultures that have out ports? What about the microorganisms on veggies, fruits, and other food? Guess these vegetarians aren't real ones since they eat/kill microorganisms :clue:
truthfully, I think the whole "out port" and "anything that has a face" rules are more instrumental for people to describe how they eat to other people.

When I say I don't eat anything that has a face, people usually think the standard (pigs, cows, chickens, fish). They'll come up with jellyfish, scallops, mussels, clams... all good questions, but I don't eat them.

And the microorganisms thing... one might as well just off themself if they are that worried about microorganisms. They're unavoidable.

It also depends on why you are a vegetarian/ vegan.... the people who are all wound up about morals and such would probably worry more about the microorganism question than someone who is a vegetarian for health reasons (ok, that sounded a little funny).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MudGrrl said:
Have you looked at any vegetarian recipes? Tell me where fish is listed as an ingredient. Show me the vegetarian cookbook section where chicken is a main ingredient.
I know you read what I posted but I don't think it digested :)

binary visions said:
Vegetarian should imply "no meat of any type"
I'm agreeing with your issue where vegetarian menus include any kind of meat whatsoever. Totally agree. A vegetarian menu/dish shouldn't have ANY type of meat in it at all, nor should it be cooked with meat by-products like beef stock, chicken stock, etc.

What I'm disagreeing with is your crusade against people who call themselves vegetarians. It's just a place where, for me, it seems unnecessary and wasteful of your energies. There are lots of people who want labels and to pidgeonhole themselves into some kind of category that makes them feel happier about their lives. Why not let them? Work on adjusting people's knowledge where it counts: the people who do the menus, who make the food, who decide what and what not to serve. It sounds like you do that, and that's great.

But people categorize themselves in a million different ways that may be inaccurate. If someone categorizes themselves as environmentally conscious then goes and dumps motor oil in the rivers, only a stupid person would assume that all environmentally conscious people dump motor oil into rivers.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Why do some people care so much what I eat or don't eat? I consider myself a vegetarian, and maybe once a month I get sushi. If someone wants to point and me and yell "you're not a vegetarian" well they can kiss my ass. I have my own reasons for being veg, and I eat what I want. I'm not trying to change the definition of vegetarian, so don't try to put that on me.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Echo said:
Why do some people care so much what I eat or don't eat? I consider myself a vegetarian, and maybe once a month I get sushi. If someone wants to point and me and yell "you're not a vegetarian" well they can kiss my ass. I have my own reasons for being veg, and I eat what I want. I'm not trying to change the definition of vegetarian, so don't try to put that on me.

Fish = meat = You not being a vegitarian