Quantcast

Vehicle Recalls

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Long story short but it seems that my Toyota needs a new ECM.

A few days after purchasing this roller toaster, the check engine light came on. The dealership I purchased the car from diagnosed the problem and replaced the charcoal canister (~$800 part) free of charge. I greatly appreciated that.

Fast forward a little bit and now the car is throwing the exact same 5 CEL codes, that it did when the charcoal canister was found to be "faulty" (don't think it actually was, now...). Oddly, the tachometer also trips acid on every cold startup; it swings wildly for a bit.

I looked up my VIN and it shows no outstanding recalls. I called Toyota Canada earlier today and had them lookup any recalls that were applied in the past; they found that recall # CM123 was performed on August 30, 2011. CM123 is replacement of the ECM for my model year and engine type.

My research shows that the five codes and tachometer problems all point towards the ECM being faulty. This is where the problem resides and my question. Toyota told me specifically, that because the recall remedied the original ECM problem, that any subsequent problems cannot possibly be related to the recall and I will be out of pocket for replacement. This sounds like bullpoop to me. If the remedy to fix the problem didn't actually fix it, is the remedy really a remedy?

What would you do in this case? I have an idea of which dealership performed the recall fix in 2011, I could try contacting them.

I could also just fork out ~$100 for a used ECM from ebay, but I think I will still have to have Toyota change the VIN in it?

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=2474!2734&md=MATRIX&fy=2007&ty=2007&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2010288&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I wouldn't shell out any cash until you have exhausted every avenue. You are right in that a fix is only a fix if it corrects the problem, otherwise by definition it can't be a fix.

Have you tried another Toyota dealership? I know that there can be variation in the amount of cooperation you'll get between some dealerships, one may be amicable to your cause whereas another won't care. If you get multiple dealerships saying there's nothing they can do to help you I'd turn to Toyota corporate next and contact your regional director with the situation.

If all that yields nothing then you may be forced to get a new ECM, but I would most definitely avoid that option due to the VIN stuffs you mention.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Put a piece of black electrical tape over the sensor lights and fug-id-aboud-it.
I have done this for the most part, because of the symptoms being mostly emissions related.

Other than this the car has been great. So much room for activities in the back.

I slept in the back of it, before realizing that the front seat also folds flat. derp. :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
How hard is it to get to? If they don't want to cover you for it, then just pick one up and swap that bitch if it's only $100.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
First of all I would post it on their facebook page.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
...a midget hooker.
That will cost you extra around here. Thanks Little People, Big World.

<edit> Did I ever tell y'all about me seeing pops in the Dirty 30 (officially called Bottoms Up, but nobody calls it that)? He was real low key and sat at the bar, all the gals came to him. I was told that was where he got his DUI. :rofl:

/coolmidgetstorybro

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That will cost you extra around here. Thanks Little People, Big World.

<edit> Did I ever tell y'all about me seeing pops in the Dirty 30 (officially called Bottoms Up, but nobody calls it that)? He was real low key and sat at the bar, all the gals came to him. I was told that was where he got his DUI. :rofl:

/coolmidgetstorybro
the dad from the show? i do believe so. :rofl:

stephen hawking also apparently frequents gentlemens clubs :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Stephen Hawking does? That's hard to believe. Richard Feynman certainly did, though.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the dad from the show? i do believe so. :rofl:

stephen hawking also apparently frequents gentlemens clubs :rofl:
For years I drove by this place and knew it was a bar, but didn't know it was a strip club until a few years ago. It's sketch and the old owner was even sketchier. I was told a few months ago that someone bought it and is fixing it up, but I haven't been in there in a while.

It's on HWY 30 almost middle of nowhere 15 miles north of Portland. No parking and so many cars have been hit there.

<edit> Notice the blue handicap parking spot, that was just recently added for someone special. :rofl:

<edit2> A gal that bar tends here also bar tends at the local dive in town and I played on the same pool league team as her last year.

/funjimmydeanfacts

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
For years I drove by this place and knew it was a bar, but didn't know it was a strip club until a few years ago. It's sketch and the old owner was even sketchier. I was told a few months ago that someone bought it and is fixing it up, but I haven't been in there in a while.

It's on HWY 30 almost middle of nowhere 15 miles north of Portland. No parking and so many cars have been hit there.

<edit> Notice the blue handicap parking spot, that was just recently added for someone special. :rofl:

<edit2> A gal that bar tends here also bar tends at the local dive in town and I played on the same pool league team as her last year.

/funjimmydeanfacts
Holy shit. That's a strip club? I don't even know how many times I've been past that place. That's sketchy even by Portland standards. :rofl:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The sketchiest strip club I've ever been in is Charlotte. I think it was called Leather and Lace. It looked like it belonged in a trailer park, run down, cramped, dark, dirty, and strippers with stretch marks.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Holy shit. That's a strip club? I don't even know how many times I've been past that place. That's sketchy even by Portland standards. :rofl:
I know, right? It's a mile south of Corn Pass. I had no idea until my wife and I stopped there on the way back from a night out downtown (back when we were dating). I pass it every day on the way home from work.

I have been to quite a few clubs in my 20+ years here, and this is truly one of the sketchiest of them all. The gal that used to DJ at the bar in town is said to dance there. I'm scared to stop and end up seeing her nekkid. I mean, I wouldn't mind (she's pretty hot), but it would be so awkward. :rofl:

It's also on the way to the Little People farm.