Quantcast

Vengeance *** Day

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hello monkies! I had a kick ass bike ride last night, 23 miles of dirt roadiness averaging 9.7 moving speed due to 1500 feet of gain. I rode the hardtail while showing a group of airmen the local trails. I had to work exceptionally hard to be the local hero while we were moving. One of the guys brought his little man so I was able to rest every few miles while he caught up. Today I am gassed so postponing my road trip for a day and will leave early tomorrow. Road bike and XC with old friends. Boise, Tri-Cities, Wenatchee, Spokane and maybe Coeur d'Alene if I don't run out of leg.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Speaking of workouts, my legs feel like concrete. Last night in bed I reached down to feel my sore thigh and mattress because I thought I was laying on a golf ball. Getting a little burned out, but only have to keep this up until April when I start my thru hike. Then the real pain begins. :rockout:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Bike clean up/selling/giveaway process continues.

Chatting with a buddy in SF and realized that most of the parts I need (live vee-brakes) for the bike I'm giving to the neighbor are on the "cheap build" for the 24" pink bike. So, going to strip the pink bike for parts, give some to another friend whose daughter's wheel got run over, and throw the frame into deep storage. It gets rid of two bikes quickly that way.

Though he will probably be sending me his son's Cleary for Hannah if the stand over is better than her Raleigh, which is too tall for her right now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
are you still evacuated?
Nope, just packed and pointed. Winds didn't do quite what was forecast a few days ago but we're about at the distance from the fire that the fire ran in one day at the beginning. Spent the last few days taking valuables to a storage unit and started removing ground cover from around the house yesterday in 500 AQI air yesterday......that fucked me up I think.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nope, just packed and pointed. Winds didn't do quite what was forecast a few days ago but we're about at the distance from the fire that the fire ran in one day at the beginning. Spent the last few days taking valuables to a storage unit and started removing ground cover from around the house yesterday in 500 AQI air yesterday......that fucked me up I think.
yeesh. stay safe dude.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Get some metalized Duct tape and cover all your soffit vents with it to keep hot embers out of the attic space. do the same for roof vents. We lose most houses to fires in the attic from smoldering embers than from the actual flame front

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
strongly dislike. stay safe dude. come take an east coast vacation!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Good luck, dude. Stay safe.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Did you get to win (buy) some new tyres at resort level pricing?

Wife and I are thinking of a week long DH trip in a few weeks time, I'd already got a spare rear, just ordered a spare front - just in case.
Luckily packed an old but still good DHR2, so didn't get hosed too much.

But get this, Bromont only has Shraeder tubes for sale. What the hell?

And guess what, next run in, ladyfriend got a flat in the exact same spot. As well as some random passing by; who was given a patch kit but no tube by the park shop (her 3rd flat of the day....).

Are those the same wheels you had on when we rode Black Mtn?
Those rims are long dead. Killington finished that one off for good..

Speaking of which, did they start reworking the middle part of Black? :(

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Luckily packed an old but still good DHR2, so didn't get hosed too much.

But get this, Bromont only has Shraeder tubes for sale. What the hell?

And guess what, next run in, ladyfriend got a flat in the exact same spot. As well as some random passing by; who was given a patch kit but no tube by the park shop (her 3rd flat of the day....).

Those rims are long dead. Killington finished that one off for good..

Speaking of which, did they start reworking the middle part of Black? :(
it's done and it looks dumb

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Old Trek Fuel sold for more than I bought it for, 2 years later, after being listed for 2hrs. I now have half the gap price between selling the Mega and buying a used SB130 sitting in a cup on my desk from selling bikes.

I apparently have also gotten to the point with the shop, that when I came in to get cables and housing today, I only got charged shop price. $5 for 2 cables and 8' housing. Mechanics know me by name when I come in; sales guys cycle through enough that I only know the manager. Interesting dynamic there.

Also rode a large SB130 while I was there. Too small, but damn if it doesn't feel good. Was able to fit the cockpit (already sold) on an XL SB115 (similar, but not the same) and that felt money.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
so for the wife's birthday she is getting a new/used Warmblood sized horse trailer. for about 10K So I get to buy some new toys of my own. No rush as I hate spending money of shit I will not really use. Picking up a nice fly rod and an Inflatable PFD plus some other camping gear is intriguing

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
if you get evacuated we can probably put you up if you want to come a few hours west
I appreciate the offer, truly.

If it comes down do that (it's still too early to tell) we're bugging the fuck out of california tree and grass land and going to where it either rains in the rockies or there's nothing to burn in the desert. I've been around enough of these things to know we won't even be let back into the area for weeks. We've got a camper, I took all the toys down to a storage unit in reno, and have been prepping the last several days. If it even becomes a question we're leaving. You know the number of roads out of this joint, one is already closed and if it takes the most likely path, two will be closed. I'm not waiting for chaos.

much obliged!

I'm sure you saw that one that just blew up by new melones...... It's getting nuts up in this joint.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001

If it comes down do that (it's still too early to tell) we're bugging the fuck out of california tree and grass land and going to where it either rains in the rockies or there's nothing to burn in the desert. I've been around enough of these things to know we won't even be let back into the area for weeks. We've got a camper, I took all the toys down to a storage unit in reno, and have been prepping the last several days. If it even becomes a question we're leaving. You know the number of roads out of this joint, one is already closed and if it takes the most likely path, two will be closed. I'm not waiting for chaos.

much obliged!

I'm sure you saw that one that just blew up by new melones...... It's getting nuts up in this joint.
Why do you think I sold my house in the Santa Cruz Mountains 9 years ago? As a wildland Fire Fighter for 12 years I saw this shit coming and got the fuck out. We had two 2 lane roads out and that was 17 miles through the forest and one dirt fire road going west as out only escape routes

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Why do you think I sold my house in the Santa Cruz Mountains 9 years ago? As a wildland Fire Fighter for 12 years I saw this shit coming and got the fuck out
A friend of mine does all the marketing programs for the north tahoe business association. You should see the shit she's refusing to do right now. Those idiots are still trying to promote other idiots coming here to clog up the roads if shit hits the fan.

I have zero faith in the decision makers in these communities to not burn it down or make evacuations worse than they need to be.

much obliged!

Good luck, woo!