Quantcast

Ventura/SB DH Trails

madmonkey

Chimp
Sep 15, 2004
Just moved to the area (Oxnard) and I am looking for some nice shuttleable trails in the area. From the looks of it there has got to be some good stuff around but its tough to lug the big bike around (uphill) looking for stuff to ride down.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
madmonkey said:
Just moved to the area (Oxnard) and I am looking for some nice shuttleable trails in the area. From the looks of it there has got to be some good stuff around but its tough to lug the big bike around (uphill) looking for stuff to ride down.
There is a lot of good riding in Ventura County (pretty much east of where you are). Also, Santa Barbara has a lot of really fun trails. You can check out Tunnel and Cold Springs.

Shoot me a PM with your email or allow emails from here and I'll send you some pics of some places near your place...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
If you ride in Santa Barbara get a cowbell on your bike. The hikers love it and you'll feel like Will Farrell in the Blue Oyster Cult /SNL skit.
I'm down to ride most weekends, PM me for SB shuttles

madmonkey

Chimp
Sep 15, 2004
Thanks for the responses, got something to go on now. Next question would be recommend the best local shops SB to 1000 Oaks say. Was going to check out one called Velo Pro (sp) on a recommendation and shop for a bigger cow bell. Would love to hook up with other local rides/riders too.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
If there were a thumbs down smilie, I'd use it to descride Velo Pro. Although they market themselves as a freeride/dh shop, it's staffed by complete idiots. For the most information and best service, go to Bicycle Bob's. They've gt 2 locations, one in Gleta and one in SB. For dh info, ask for Phill. Or PM Zark. Zark, Phill and I used to work together at Bob's, they will have the info you want.

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
sleepinggiant said:
If there were a thumbs down smilie, I'd use it to descride Velo Pro. Although they market themselves as a freeride/dh shop, it's staffed by complete idiots. For the most information and best service, go to Bicycle Bob's. They've gt 2 locations, one in Gleta and one in SB. For dh info, ask for Phill. Or PM Zark. Zark, Phill and I used to work together at Bob's, they will have the info you want.
Dave (i think he posts on here as Lil Dave or something like that) works there now too. He's really knowledgeable in the freeride/dh oriented stuff and is a really nice guy. B-Bobs is a good shop, and ive also had good luck with Hazards.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah i give the thumbs down to Velo Pro too, nice stuff...but guys that have no idea what they are tallking about, SuperGo in Ventura isen't bad if you get the right person, if Jessy or Nate is there you'll be in luck they both know there stuff are and SemiPro DHers. Other than that though most of the guys are XC of Roadies.

Hey is that little cheesy DH at Elings open all the time?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
If you're comming from Ventura/Oxnard area and know what you want Supergo probably has the stuff at a better price then our SB shops will have. If I'm in Ventura I check them out for tire deals/parts whatever. I don't care about the sales guys and such as I already know what I want to look for when I'm in there.

As far as SB shops go....Velo pro downtown has more of the DH/FR bikes (mainly Kona's and Santa Cruz's). I haven't really bought much from them. I try to go to the Goleta store more as the people there are a little more friendly plus I think Punkassean (sean) lol is going back to work there. Bob's on Hitchcock has a different vibe then the Goleta one but per say I've good luck at both. Those are the only real bike stores in SB, the others cater to roadies and less to MTB folks.

A person above said Hazards.......From my past experiences with them they shop guys might know a thing or 2 but there's a few there with their heads up their butts. Before I knew how to work on my own stuff I took my bike into them to install a stem and adjust my shifters (basicly a tune up). I had a coupon that an employee gave me for $20 off a tune-up. When I was rung up it was like $50 or something close to that. I was like here ya go here's the coupon that was given to me and the guy at the register had a fit and began to give me the 5th degree on how much time was spent adjusting my shifting and such. I had seem him in there for years so I knew he wasn't a noobie at it. After I told him that a shop employee gave it to me he didn't care he wanted his $50 instead of $30 with the coupon. Another shop guy came over and took care of it, but in the end I told him that'd be the last time I went into that shop and it was the last time. I've never once had a problem anywhere expcet there. That was also like 2 years ago.....

Trail wise get a bell. I wanna say bike shops have them to hand out but I have no idea (or they might be like a $1 or something). Velo has "Kona" branded bells for more $$$. I dunno, we had a Kona rep for a while who lived here and I think him and Kona teamed up for the bell deal. I had to go to a petstore to find some (in the bird isle) but it's fine. I put one on my pack and one on the bike. It makes enough noise :)

Trails.......cold springs/tunnel/san yisdro/juesista are all fun, just try to beat the heat and get out earley in the morning. They are all pretty decent in length. Plus there's Elings park which has a huge XC loop and a mini-dh area on the cliff side. Ellwood is pretty fun too for jumping and such. Everything is spaced out but we got it all, XC, DH, and DJ.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
sleepinggiant said:
I've been to Velo Pro a few times and would feel like a jacka$$ if I bought anything there. The prices are way too much...now that Super Go is in Ventura, it is really worth the drive...

In addition, the last time I went there I wanted to pick-up an issue of Decline, and was told that they don't carry magazines...what kind of bike shop doesn't carry bike magazines?

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
Yes It Is And My Team Is Going To Be In Charge Of Getting A Sircut Dh Race Open And Started But We Need To Do Trail Maintancence First So Problable In A Month And A Half The Course Is Really Chewed Up

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
Yeah We Will Be Getting It Fixed Up In A Couple Of Weeks But Volunteers Would Be Helpful

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
But Patrik You Will Not Be Invited, Because We Will Be In Charge Of The Races, Hahaha

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I Swear That You Zmtber, And Sb Dh Rider Are The Same Person. Look At The Way You Fools Just Posted These Last Three Posts. Its A Pain In The Ass To Capitialize The First Letter In Every Word Of A Sentance. What Gives You Two?

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
ya sorry zmtber is a looser....im like best friends with himbut hes a idiot....i go to his house and like my password is saved on his computer....lol so he trys to make himself not look like an idiot. sleepinggiant is an idiot i like velo pro.....three really nice and helpfull.....screww bicycles bobs....and is Goleta not glata.....retared

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
DH SB RIDER said:
ya sorry zmtber is a looser....im like best friends with himbut hes a idiot....i go to his house and like my password is saved on his computer....lol so he trys to make himself not look like an idiot. sleepinggiant is an idiot i like velo pro.....three really nice and helpfull.....screww bicycles bobs....and is Goleta not glata.....retared
Dude, you really need to just shut the hell up.

And yes Elings is always open, just don't skid in the turns.

Holy crap you SB kids are pathetic.

The Ito

KindredGhost

Chimp
Sep 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Zark said:
If you ride in Santa Barbara get a cowbell on your bike. The hikers love it and you'll feel like Will Farrell in the Blue Oyster Cult /SNL skit.
I'm down to ride most weekends, PM me for SB shuttles

AHHAHAHAHHA!!! I want you to really explore the studio space... hahahah...

Oh yeah... this is my first post ever. I just picked up an entry level full suspension xc bike! Yay!

KG