Quantcast

##### Verdi %20%20%20

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Getting packed up for a little trip the central California coast this morning. Thinking about taking a bike, but I have a feeling that would cause some marital strife.
you wanna take marital strife? my "new" bike got delivered 2 days before vacation. that makes 7 bikes of my own. plus i have 2 or 3 other frames kicking around.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Poison ivy bubbles have grown. They are gross and it all itches so badly. :panic:

Trying to wind down at work and get ready for vacation next week. Gotta finish building a fence and hanging some curtains. I got this.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
you wanna take marital strife? my "new" bike got delivered 2 days before vacation. that makes 7 bikes of my own. plus i have 2 or 3 other frames kicking around.
Still got that trials rig? Always had it in the back of my head that a trials bike would be a good idea, but never gone beyond the thought stage.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
:wave:

Poison ivy bubbles have grown. They are gross and it all itches so badly. :panic:

Trying to wind down at work and get ready for vacation next week. Gotta finish building a fence and hanging some curtains. I got this.
Not much you can do once you have it. I've found that tagamet can help with the itch- it's an H2 antihistamine that seems to work better on skin rashes than H1 antihistamines like benadryl. I'd do that and some topical benadryl combined with very hot showers to try and dry out the skin. Next time, cold showers and dawn as soon as you think you've gotten it.

When I do the weed whackin' I either wear long sleeves or come in and wash up with cold water and dawn before jumping in the shower.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You win. I just have the road bike, the gravel bike and the mountain bike. I would like a new mountain bike, though... Everyone needs a HT and a FS right?
the only non-suspension bikes i have built up are the road, bmx, and trials bike. after a double herniation in my lower back a number of years ago i can't trail ride a hardtail anymore. my xc yeti hardtail and slalom hardtail are just hanging up.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You win. I just have the road bike, the gravel bike and the mountain bike. I would like a new mountain bike, though... Everyone needs a HT and a FS right?
I have the HT for muck season and when the FS is broken. It has come in surprisingly handy over the past 3 years. Not to mention, it poses a different challenge on the same trails and can be fun to mix in every once and awhile.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey man! I rolled out of bed in a foggy haze this morning and dragged myself to the rail trail for a seven mile jog, then got home and walked the dog for two miles.

Speaking of pedaling, I'll pedal for the 4th day in a row today but will most likely be on the KICKR. So, it's pedaling but not riding. I've got a shitkicker of a workout on the schedule.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just the seven bikes each for wifey and I.

DH
Trail fs
XC fs
29er HT
Fatty
Road
Old road on the indoor trainer

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just the seven bikes each for wifey and I.

DH
Trail fs
XC fs
29er HT
Fatty
Road
Old road on the indoor trainer
DH (xprezo furax, now on 275)
GG Megatrail
Scott Spark
Yeti 4x SP (this weeks n+1)
S&M LTF (bmx)
Zoo! Pitbull (trials)
nashbar road bike
old road bike dedicated to the trainer

frames:
Yeti Arc Hardtail (i think this was an FRO model, but is definitely from the era when they were still US made)
Cheeta Dual Slalom hardtail
bianchi lynx. my first mtb, too much sentimental value to part with.

should note my son will be on the yeti 4x as a trail bike once he outgrows his stp 24.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have the HT for muck season and when the FS is broken. It has come in surprisingly handy over the past 3 years. Not to mention, it poses a different challenge on the same trails and can be fun to mix in every once and awhile.
i've thought about picking up a used fat bike for winter riding, but we rarely get enough snow to justify it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
OK, I have some family drama of my own- any takers?

We took a family vacation to the outer banks recently. I loved my visits there as a kid and I thought it was about as far as we could drive in the car without wanting to kill each other. My parents live in Ocean Isle beach NC, which is 5 hours away. They are offended that we did not come to visit them instead of doing our own thing. I get it, because both places are in the state of North Carolina, but they are five hours from one another and we wanted a family vacation, not a visit with grandparents. I told them in more polite language to go pound sand- that this was a family vacation we took for the first time in 2 years and we wanted to do something together, and that just because they live on the coast they don't have a monopoly on all things beach nor all things vacation. Am I being obtuse? We don't visit them often as the drive door to door is 14 hours non-stop, and that with a 5 year old there will be many stops. Flying is about $2000 for tickets for four.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I haven't had a FS bike in 8 or 9 years, but I'd like to change that. Only a hardtail in that time period.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California

We took a family vacation to the outer banks recently. I loved my visits there as a kid and I thought it was about as far as we could drive in the car without wanting to kill each other. My parents live in Ocean Isle beach NC, which is 5 hours away. They are offended that we did not come to visit them instead of doing our own thing. I get it, because both places are in the state of North Carolina, but they are five hours from one another and we wanted a family vacation, not a visit with grandparents. I told them in more polite language to go pound sand- that this was a family vacation we took for the first time in 2 years and we wanted to do something together, and that just because they live on the coast they don't have a monopoly on all things beach nor all things vacation. Am I being obtuse? We don't visit them often as the drive door to door is 14 hours non-stop, and that with a 5 year old there will be many stops. Flying is about $2000 for tickets for four.
I don't know your situation well enough to comment, but I'm going to anyway. I can see your parents' side of things; I'm sure they'd love to see their grandchild and all, and you're "in the neighborhood" so to speak.

Buuuut, as much as I love my parents, they're a pain in the ass to hang out with these days, and I'd rather spend my vacation time with my own family.

So, I can see both sides, and I have nothing of value to add.

ETA: My parents are coming out from Texas in a few weeks, and I'm not looking forward to trying to squash my father's conspiracy theory talk when he inevitably steers the conversation that way. Really, it's more of a swerve than steer...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

honest question - on a scale of totally normal to rage fit at applebees, how boomery are your parents? i've found that some of my friends with parents on the more boomery end of the spectrum have more of the entitled / self-centered world view. i find myself wondering if that's what's going on here

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

Eh, tough call.

When was the last time they saw the kids? More than 2 years ago? Then you are probably out of the will and rightfully so. If the last visit was winter or spring break, they need to chill.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

We deal with similar issues when travelling. We have told our parents we like to vacation as a family and do our own thing. Fortunately, they are much more local and can see the grandkids. Maybe next time schedule a day or 2 visiting the parents on the back end of the trip and that would give you and the Mrs. some alone time too?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
honest question - on a scale of totally normal to rage fit at applebees, how boomery are your parents? i've found that some of my friends with parents on the more boomery end of the spectrum have more of the entitled / self-centered world view. i find myself wondering if that's what's going on here
Self centered boomers. Chose a location to retire that I hate that's close to my brother but far from where I live. Guilt me that I don't visit when they moved after I had been settled in boston for 15 years. Dad has started watching fox news and sending racist chain emails. Jokes that I should keep working to pay his social security. Tries to figure out ways to fuck the government over on his fair share of taxes. Pretty solidly boomery.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Eh, tough call.

When was the last time they saw the kids? More than 2 years ago? Then you are probably out of the will and rightfully so. If the last visit was winter or spring break, they need to chill.

About a year ago on the nose. We had hoped to visit them late august, but they are traveling again the week that we would go. May try and visit around thanksgiving, but the logistics are a struggle.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They also don't understand why we can't just fly spirit. Something about sitting on the tarmac for 5 hours with a five year old and not being able to select our seats is my regular answer.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Self centered boomers. Chose a location to retire that I hate that's close to my brother but far from where I live. Guilt me that I don't visit when they moved after I had been settled in boston for 15 years. Dad has started watching fox news and sending racist chain emails. Jokes that I should keep working to pay his social security. Tries to figure out ways to fuck the government over on his fair share of taxes. Pretty solidly boomery.
5 hours is not "in the neighborhood". Suggesting as much is silly. Besides, visits are a two way street, they are (assuming here) more than welcome to come visit you in Boston, and it's a heck of a lot easier for two retirees to travel than it is for two working parents with two young kids and limited vacation time.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Be glad he's only at the gateway of batshit crazy, and not balls-deep. It's too late for my Dad, but maybe there's hope for yours.
Am I the only one whose parents have moved further to the left with age? They've still got a few old school views, but by and large have shifted into solid blue territory.