Quantcast

Vermont trail recommendations

mtncycle

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Philadelphia
The wife and I will be staying in Middlesex, VT in mid-September. Found the Montpelier (MAMBA) site and looks like there are some trails close by. Also checked out VMBA's site and it looks like there is a bunch of riding in Stowe. Looking for trail recommendations from people familiar with the area. Wife can ride, but doesn't enjoy super tech, so flow trails sound fun for both of us. Is is worth driving an hour+ to Kingdom trails? Also, seems you have to buy a day pass to ride a lot of the Stowe trails, as well KT? Just seems weird paying to ride XC, I'm only used to paying to ride if there's a lift involved. But if the trails are worth it, that's fine, we're on vacation. Not looking to put in a ton of miles each day, probably 15 or so in the morning, then hit some breweries in the afternoon/evening. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Onion River Sports in Montpelier does a group ride on Tues afternoon and has a facebook page for it and it's usually at a variety of locations in the area. There's also a group ride at Millstone on Tues. Northfield also has group ride on Thursdays. There's a few in Stowe but I don't recall the days.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I would suggest getting a day pass. Something needs to provide operating funds to keep the trails going, and Millstone is stupendous.
Truthfully it's open to the public and it's like most mountain biking trail systems in the country (often maintained by the local mountain bikers). It's presumptuous to make people believe they have to pay for access to public lands especially when everyone else uses them for free. I've done lots of trail work (even in other countries) and have been a IMBA member for over two decades (and my VMBA membership is current), but I'm not going to trick people into donating time or money to use lands open to and paid for by the public.

These trails were purchased with public funds and are noted as free for ALL trail users under the official park page. None of the other user groups try to trick people into donating to them - walking, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing or disc golf.

Obtained in 2013 with assistance from The Trust for Public Land (TPL) , the Barre Town Forest is comprised of 5 forested properties totaling 355 acres, combined with 25.7 acres already owned by the Town. This project was completed as part of the TPL's Community Forest Program and the Vermont Town Forest Project. Funding was provided by the Town of Barre, the Vermont Housing and Conservation Board, the Vermont Recreation Trails Grant Program, the Open Space Institute, the Federal Community Forest Program, the Millstone Trails Association, and many other foundations and private individual donors.

I'm on the board of directors of a local conservation organization that conserves more than a thousand acres of land. We found all sorts of funding for acquisition, yet we struggle to fund maintenance, taxes, and other land management related expenses such as insurance.

Millstone's no different. If you want the trails to remain, kick in.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Why not be honest then and why are bikers the only group that has to pay to use them?

Come visit the Town Forest for cross country skiing, fishing, hiking, hunting, snowshoeing, mountain biking, snowmobiling, bird watching, disc golf and more. But please respect the Leave No Trace guidelines, and practice Carry In, Carry Out. No camping and no fires, please. There are two parking areas for the Town Forest, one at 44 Brook Street and one at 111 Barclay Quarry Road.