Vertical Earth Series, Blue Mountain, PA

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA

First race is May 30.

From the website: http://www.verticalearthpa.com/blue_mountain_cup

Vertical Earth Race Series Mission:

To offer Gravity riding to more mountain bikers. The history of Gravity riding the past 5 years has primarily been DH. A racer/rider would generally ride a DH bike. The Vertical Earth Series will offer 3 disciplines of cycling to satisfy more mountain biker's "Need for Speed."

DS - a full-on 25-35 second sprint filled with berms, rollers, tables, and gates to the finish against your fellow racer. Hardtails and short travel bikes are the preferred bike.

Super D - A 5-8 minute trail from top to bottom on the mountain, lift access provided. What is Super D? Super D is your most fun XC trail downhill section that's fast, and flowy. 6" travel is most ideal bike here boys and girls.

DH - Adrenaline, endurance, skills, guts, speed, are what it takes here. The " Big Rig's " generally are the bike of choice. DH offers 4 levels of riding: Beginner, Sport, Expert and Pro Class. Vertical Earth will design 2 different course for each race. One course designed for Pro - Cat 1 and the second designed for Cat 2 - 3.

The Vertical Earth mission promotes fun, great times, great riding, and great competition.

Anyone have any inside/first hand information? Anyone planning to race?

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I'll be racing 2 out of 3 of the races. I was there building this weekend. We started what will hopefully be the pro-expert course in at least 1 race. If it gets finished in the fashion that it was started it will be interesting to say the least. It's steep, rocky, wide open riding that pretty much goes straight down the mountain.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
hows the lift operation going to be?

its not gonna be ghetto rigged like Bear Creek was is it?
I can't say for sure yet. I do know that they will be using the high speed quad and that they have commissioned someone to build a bike hook system. They assured me that it will not be the same ghetto hooks that are used for the snow race.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I can't say for sure yet. I do know that they will be using the high speed quad and that they have commissioned someone to build a bike hook system. They assured me that it will not be the same ghetto hooks that are used for the snow race.
I really hope this comes to fruition. I would be nice to have a bike park an hour and a half from my house. I'll certainly put some time in there helping to build, I already have poured blood and sweat into the trails, just no tears.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so the Vertical Earth website shows the next race date at the top of the page as Sept 24-26, but the events page shows Sept 26-27...which is it?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I sure hope I can make it up there! Just waiting on canfield bros to get back from eurobike or w\e to get a stem.