Quantcast

Very good deal on a portable pressure washer

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
I hate having to ride home from the trails with muddy legs and having to clean the mud of my bike after it has dried from the ride home on the roof.

I had seen similar models in the UK bike mags for close to $200 and thought I would really like to have one but my wife would have killed me if I spent that kind of money so I started scouring the web ans found this.

I just ordered one. You can't even buy a garden sprayer this cheap.

http://www.orangeonions.com/product/MNOM35ORG/Nomad_H2O_OnTheGo_Portable_Power_Washer.html

I found a 10% off coupon code 10OFF

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
Pressure washers generally aren't recommended for cleaning bikes, unless you like replacing bearings every other month.
Its only about 90 PSI. Probably about the equivalent of driving 70MPH in the rain with a bike on the roof. Unless you put the nozzle right up to a bearing and hold it there I cannot see it being a problem. People would need to use common sense.

I agree that a regular home pressure washer is to much and would take out bearings at a minimum of 1200PSI

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's not that it'll be taking bearings out, its that pressures washers (even at 90psi) will get water in places on a bike that you do not want it. My reference to bearings is that water will get to them and cause them to corrode prematurely. Also, ever noticed the small holes drilled into your frame? Those are to allow for thermal expansion during welding, and is another place you really don't water to get into.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Wait, backup.
Your wife would kill you if you spent $200?

Grow a pair.
It's called a family budget. If TN spent 200 bucks on something as trivial as a pressure washer right now without consulting me, I might kill him too. Be thankful for your disposable income.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I just picked the same washer up and your going to love it. Nothing better then pulling up behind the element and spraying my bike off. Just the right pressure for getting mud off you and your bike. And 90 psi is perfect for the bike

...Also, ever noticed the small holes drilled into your frame? Those are to allow for thermal expansion during welding, and is another place you really don't water to get into.
But it's going to, inevitably, if you ride in the rain or even wash the bike by hand.

If it works as advertised, this gizmo looks as though it'd do a decent job of blowing mud and crud off, say, rims and tires and areas of frame away from bearings. Since I'm now stuffing my bike into a Honda Fit, it sounds as though the tool might be helpful to reduce if not eliminate crud before loading up after a ride.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It's called "Separate bank accounts"

My money is my money as long as I'm covering my half of the family expenses.

This means my wife doesn't get pissed when I spend money on bikes and I have no right to complain when she drops $300 on boots.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
those Nomad power-washer are utter crap! i had one off CRC and the connector to the hose broke during the second use and the motor itself died one week after i got the replacement connector.
CRC were extremely supportive and replaced the hose first and then offered me to replace the whole power-washer or to give me a voucher. i took the voucher! :-)
no recommendation for this PoS from me.
i heard a lot of good things about this one:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34761

those Nomad power-washer are utter crap! i had one off CRC and the connector to the hose broke during the second use and the motor itself died one week after i got the replacement connector.
CRC were extremely supportive and replaced the hose first and then offered me to replace the whole power-washer or to give me a voucher. i took the voucher! :-)
Ummm... same rig, same manufacturer, different color.

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
I'm not expecting it to be bullet proof for $35. Knowing that i will have to baby it and be careful. You can buy 4 of these for the price of that other one. If I like it I might buy another one for spare parts. It does have a 1 year warranty.

I'm sure it will beat using the left over water from my camelback to try and get the chunks off.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Ummm... same rig, same manufacturer, different color.
as i wrote:
i heard a lot of good things about this one

i have no idea if it's good or not, i gave up on 12v power washers after my disastrous experience...

a bucket of water and a brush will do.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
well excuse me for not living in crap-ass new jersey or hick-town PA for the last 3 years. all this past season we rode together what, at least 8-10 weekends, not once did you bust it out.
i think i used it nearly everytime i rode DH in the hot weather and or mud. if i didnt use it, it was in the trunk ready for action.
i got the idea from Bob who used a metal one. mine was a plastic pesticide sprayer

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i think i used it nearly everytime i rode DH in the hot weather and or mud. if i didnt use it, it was in the trunk ready for action.
i got the idea from Bob who used a metal one. mine was a plastic pesticide sprayer
I know what it is and I've seen the one Bob uses. I've just never seen yours.

Wait a second, I missed the last half of the summer (late july through sept) and before that you were in France with your mankini.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I know what it is and I've seen the one Bob uses. I've just never seen yours.

Wait a second, I missed the last half of the summer (late july through sept) and before that you were in France with your mankini.
the first half of the season wasnt that bad so i didnt use it, just kept it in the car.

i looked at the sprayer from CRC wish is pretty close to the OP's suggestion, but it looks like a POS and my pump sprayer is cheap and probably more reliable.

and Ronnie was the one who was smuggling acorns

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It's called "Separate bank accounts"

My money is my money as long as I'm covering my half of the family expenses.

This means my wife doesn't get pissed when I spend money on bikes and I have no right to complain when she drops $300 on boots.
Nothing says "I love you" like lack of trust!:thumb: