Quantcast

very long story short...lezbaru!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I have been watching the price of several vehicles because my dodge Dakota is on its last wheels at 9+ years old. Wanted it to last another year but I got an email from s local subie dealer for 4k off 2011outbacks. Went test drove and ended up buying one. This is the exact car I bought and all said and done it was cheaper than the Dakota. Should be comming in late tomorrow and cant wait!!

http://iphone.gillmansubarunorth.com/index.htm#new_p_2FSubaru_p_2F2011-Subaru-Outback-ffb439080a0d066901a1f28e31d90281_p_2Ehtm

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Just lost one our cars in a flood, and test drove basically that exact car. Wasn't bad, a lot better then I was expecting. Still not sure i'll buy one. I had just come from testing a 06 A6 3.2l wagon, right before driving that, so my opinion was a little biased towards another Audi. But that Outback changed my view on Subies. The CVT trans was pretty nice, but it lacked the power I was looking for.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Just lost one our cars in a flood, and test drove basically that exact car. Wasn't bad, a lot better then I was expecting. Still not sure i'll buy one. I had just come from testing a 06 A6 3.2l wagon, right before driving that, so my opinion was a little biased towards another Audi.
You're comparing A6's to Outbacks. Hardly apples to apples... :think:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I bet it's slower than stoney's
I guarantee it.

and can hold less water.
That was the other Forester that I flooded.

And those are really nice cars. I was trying to get the Wifey on board to buy one instead of the Forester that she got.

One thing that I noticed is that the 2.5 lacks the pop you get from the 3.4, but it's not really necessary. It also gets way better mileage than the 3.4, which is a big plus. If you get a hitch installed for a rear rack, just buy an aftermarket one and bolt it on yourself. The install is super easy and only takes about 30 minutes if you ham fist it.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Welcome to the club...I roll in an Outback...people often think I am a lesbian. I do nothing to discourage them.

BTW...rented an A8 my first week here in Germany. That thing was sweet...

Last edited:

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Can anyone give me some feed back on the Outback with the 3.4L? I went to the dealer with that model in mind, but they didn't have a single one. The dealer told me all they sell are the 2.5's, which is a nice car, but didn't have the highway speed I'm looking for.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
you mean 3.6L?
its pretty peppy engine. my buddy just got the Legacy 3.6R. if they only sell the 2.4L then go somewhere else

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
It is only the FORRESTER that is in the category mentioned in the thread title. (sorry Stoney) The Outback is more of the Soccer-Mom car.

Oh, and for what it is worth I recently went faster than I have EVER gone (except in an airplane) in a modded rally style WRX wagon. It was just south of Bootleg on Highway 93 near that dry lakebed. 155mph!!

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
you mean 3.6L?
its pretty peppy engine. my buddy just got the Legacy 3.6R. if they only sell the 2.4L then go somewhere else
Yeah I guess it's a 3.6L... I don't know a lot about Subies, I've pretty much always had Vdubs and Audi's. But, I'm willing to try something new. People generally speak highly of them. The dealer said they can order one, but I don't want to go through all that without driving one...

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is all you really need to know about Audis. :D
We were looking at either a used A6 or a 5series wagon or a new subie...

Talked to our mechanic and he told us that the Audi's his customers have brought in have a bunch of parts that most mfg's make from metal, but Audi makes from plastic and they break a lot.

He steered us towards the 535xi even though it meant that he would be losing business (bc we could get the pre-paid maint). Also, the 535 was the same cost as a new Subie and the remaining time/miles under warranty was the same as the new warranty on the Subie.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster

Talked to our mechanic and he told us that the Audi's his customers have brought in have a bunch of parts that most mfg's make from metal, but Audi makes from plastic and they break a lot.

He steered us towards the 535xi even though it meant that he would be losing business (bc we could get the pre-paid maint). Also, the 535 was the same cost as a new Subie and the remaining time/miles under warranty was the same as the new warranty on the Subie.
My wife and I are in the same boat. A6 Avant, Passat VR6 w 4Motion, XC70 or possibly a Subie... I have a friend with a 5series wagon, he likes it, the things is beautiful, but they seem hard to find, not to mention a AWD model...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001

If the 535xi you're looking at is new enough to have the N54 or N55 turbo I-6 instead of the old naturally aspirated one, watch out. Those turbo sixes haven't been holding up well. Google BMW high pressure fuel pump…

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If the 535xi you're looking at is new enough to have the N54 or N55 turbo I-6 instead of the old naturally aspirated one, watch out. Those turbo sixes haven't been holding up well. Google BMW high pressure fuel pump…
Last I read about it BMW had extended the warranty on the part because its a very common problem. It would my nicer with the 3.0si engine without the turbo.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
The dealer I went to had like 15 new Outbacks, and they were all 2.5 auto... And it's funny, cause the same dealer told me how all his loyal Subie customers want manual, yet they had none...
I love manual shift but it gets old in the city. This model has auto and a manual setting with paddle shifters on the steering column. the t.f has plenty of power and gets great mailage.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What is with the roof rack rails on new Outbacks? They are ****ing huge and the sorest of eye-sores. Those things better be rated for several thousand pounds or double as auxiliary fuel tanks.

Edit: Picky pic of the WTF.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
What is with the roof rack rails on new Outbacks? They are ****ing huge and the sorest of eye-sores. Those things better be rated for several thousand pounds or double as auxiliary fuel tanks.
Srsly. And to boot I think you can't put aftermarket towers (Yak/Thule) on them... at least you didn't in the recent past. They are abominations.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
I love manual shift but it gets old in the city. This model has auto and a manual setting with paddle shifters on the steering column. the t.f has plenty of power and gets great mailage.
Yeah the one I drove did have the paddles, it was cool, and being able to isolate gears is nice, my A4 Avant has tiptronic, but the power is lacking in the 2.5 for what I need.