Quantcast

Very Slow Site!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Transcend said:
Says the man who just crawled out from under dubya's desk wiping his chin...

Sez you who seems to have an un-natural facination for homosexuality.... perhaps you are living a lie?

:agree:

J

JRB

Transcend said:
Says the man who just crawled out from under dubya's desk wiping his chin...
You gotta admit that he just bitch slapped you and sat you in the corner, Transcend. That's saying something, since I think N8 is a complete dillweed.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Transcend said:
Of all people you should know. After all, you have the fem-mullet, drink girly drinks and wear silk blouses.

Either that's your gay way of paying me a compliment, or... you are hitting on me!!!!

:eek:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dfinn said:
I'm no network engineer but I think Transcend may be feeding us a load of BS. Last I knew switches don't do any "internal routing", that would actually be a router.
"A network switch is a computer networking device that connects network segments. It uses the logic of a Network bridge but allows a physical and logical star topology. It is often used to replace network hubs. A switch is also often referred to as an intelligent hub or switching hub.
Note that the term "switch" is abused in the networking industry to name many different types of devices - see Multilayer switch.

... A switch, on the other hand, isolates ports which means every received packet is sent out only to the port on which the target may be found (one caveat - if the proper port cannot be determined, then the switch will broadcast the packet to all ports). Essentially, a switch is a router, but one operating at the MAC level rather than the IP level. Since the switch intelligently sends packets only where they need to go, and not everywhere willy-nilly, the performance speed of your network can be greatly increased."

Stick to your day job.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Cool. So RM is doing all of their "internal routing" using MAC addresses instead of at the IP level like the rest of the world. That explains the issues we are seeing.

I was going to tell you to stick to being an internet tough guy but you're going to do that anyways.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dfinn said:
Cool. So RM is doing all of their "internal routing" using MAC addresses instead of at the IP level like the rest of the world. That explains the issues we are seeing.

I was going to tell you to stick to being an internet tough guy but you're going to do that anyways.
You've never actually set foot inside of a data center have you? :rolleyes:

Stick to doing free websites and not trying to explain networking to people who actually know what they are talking about.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Transcend said:
You've never actually set foot inside of a data center have you? :rolleyes: Stick to doing free websites.
I've been in some pertty damned big ones. You ever manage 200'ish linux servers, 6 sun e6500 servers and 4 netapp NAS servers w/over 1TB each? Like I said, I'm no network admin but I still think I was right and you are trying to catch me on a minor technicality.

edit: i don't have time to do websites for free. I'm busy doing them in trade for bike parts or EP forms.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Transcend, you're wrong. switches don't do routing in the sense you were using the term.

and the site went down quite a few times under BeerDemon's reign, too, so it's just par for the course :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Toshi said:
Transcend, you're wrong. switches don't do routing in the sense you were using the term.

and the site went down quite a few times under BeerDemon's reign, too, so it's just par for the course :D
The switches direct traffic inside of the data center and between servers and the main pipes. So yes, a switch routes traffic for all intents and purposes.

Also, I think Adam moves stuff into a new data center, but not sure.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Transcend said:
Sorry, that's free.
I don't know what it's like up there in little america but down here I don't know of anyway to come across bike parts or bike hookups for free. I charge an hourly rate and have the choice to get a check cut whenever I want but instead I trade my work for parts and hookups so I don't have to deal with tax BS.

J

JRB

Toshi said:
<snip>and the site went down quite a few times under BeerDemon's reign, too, so it's just par for the course :D

shhhh - he's still a mod and I was kissing his ass. :think:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Transcend said:
Sure thing. I forgot, traffic hits the switch and then just lays down and dies. :rolleyes: It doesn't get directed to it's destination or anything.
It gets directed to a port on the switch. In general the traffic is going through several routers that route the traffic to the switch, the switch then just delivers the packet to whatever port it's supposed to go to. I don't need to tell you this though because you know it already, or so you say.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
[smack, smack]

Pocket protectors being thrown to the ground...
That would imply that the world's greatest web designer knew what he was talking about. I am pretty sure, speaking from a failing memory, but more traffic is routed internally on a switch. I don't remember having to set up a router in my Cisco workshops the first couple of networks I set up. I did later, but I am pretty sure the first ones were switches.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
a router can also be a switch, but when you refer to a "switch" you're generally not referring to a router. Transcend is unsuccessfully trying to argue his way out of this particular paper bag by claiming that by the ability of switches to direct traffic to a port by MAC is equivalent to routing by IP table. (which it is not.)

:dead:

J

JRB

This should help folks get the picture. You'll notice the switch closest to the physical layer, ie. device.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
So dfinn AND N8 pwn3d Transcend.... all in one thread. And even loco got a couple of bitch slaps in.

Think he's out overbilling someone for work that only a handful of folks can do to make up for the e-beating he got? I wonder if his stutter came back.

J

JRB

DRB said:
So dfinn AND N8 pwn3d Transcend.... all in one thread. And even loco got a couple of bitch slaps in.

Think he's out overbilling someone for work that only a handful of folks can do to make up for the e-beating he got? I wonder if his stutter came back.
Awesome.

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
Was your approval routed or switched? At what layer of the OSI stack?
His post stating the approval took place at all levels of the OSI stack.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
johnbryanpeters said:
Was your approval routed or switched? At what layer of the OSI stack?
I don't know what this means, but I approve because I have to spread some rep around, and I like to start my day off by disapproving Loco.

J

JRB

How much reputation must I spread before I can disapprove of stinky and skaredsh*thead again??? This is ridiculous.