Quantcast

Vicodin sucks...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well, my back is getting mildly better, so I do not need to take the high dosage of vicodin I was previously. however, I'm going through mild withdraws. This blows. My head is killing me, I can't concentrate, and I feel like hell in general. All on top of the fact that my back isn't doing that much better, just well enough to stay under control by lots of stretching, lying, and ice...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's not the point...
I'm actually doing pretty good at ridding myself of my vices lately, but this is outright addiction. It sucks. The caffeine w/d were pretty bad, but this is worse.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
That's not the point...
I'm actually doing pretty good at ridding myself of my vices lately, but this is outright addiction. It sucks. The caffeine w/d were pretty bad, but this is worse.
Self medicate with alcohol then.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I uhh think uhh. I think you're wrong uhh. But for some reason I can't seem to type well enough to explain why right now.... Uhh nevermind....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Stopped drinking too. We have a lot of good wine that gets to go into storage for special occasions. Otherwise, no drinking either.
The woman even took away your booze, huh?

PM me if you want to know how to escape. You don't need this abuse.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I stopped on my own. I have a decent list of things I want to get and I realized spending $300/month on booze and $150/m on coffee was not how I was going to get them.

She actually is not happy that I've stopped drinking.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I stopped on my own. I have a decent list of things I want to get and I realized spending $300/month on booze and $150/m on coffee was not how I was going to get them.

She actually is not happy that I've stopped drinking.
Um... partaking in life's small pleasures is alot of what makes life worth living. Abusing them to the tune of $450 a month is unhealthy and not smart financially, but is that any reason to deprive yourself completely? Beer and Coffee are probably less than $120 a month for me.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have expensive likes. So, I will keep my nice wines for special events. The rest is just noise. I will get far more enjoyment from the wants than the consumption of coffee based on a need for caffine, and the consumption of alcohol. It just makes me feel like crap and offsets my gains from working out, and generally makes me stupider.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Ask your doc about a dose or two of Toradol. Unless they feel you have some sort of contraindication, it's a wonderful drug. Works great with some ortho injury pain. May give you some great relief, allowing you to use much less of other sorts of meds.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ok, headache is finally starting to go away a bit. Thankfully. Hopefully I can go through the night without needing it. This was my first no vicodin day in almost a month.

Thanks scrublover. I'll talk to my doc Monday.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Actually, I think I had Toradol the last time my beck went nuts. IT worked great.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Toradol, is an excellent Muscle relaxer, its Non Narcotic, doesnt make you all loopy, and it works. Thats what they give me when My back acts up.

It's a non-opiod NSAID, not really a muscle relaxer.

But yeah, unless you're allergic to it, or have some renal disfunction, a couple doses can do wonders with ortho pains.

We use it on a fair amount of our surgical patients - lets us use far fewer narcotic pain meds.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I had some for my tooth abscess & quit taking them after a couple days on them. I rather be in pain than put that nasty stuff in my body.

I would suggest going for a long ride so maybe you can sweat some of that poison out.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
I've heard that substituting the vicodin with advil or tylenol helps out, but I'm not doctor nor have I tried it myself. Just going from what I've heard.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Just don't take tylenol with vicodin. That could lead to bigger issues.

I've heard that substituting the vicodin with advil or tylenol helps out, but I'm not doctor nor have I tried it myself. Just going from what I've heard.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've been on a steroid as well for inflammation, so when that doesn't work I need to use the Vicodin. I can start taking my anti-inflammatory pills tomorrow, I have a feeling today will be a bit rough, because it's the end of my steroids (AM), and they seem to last ~12 hours...

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I can sympathize with your withdrawal symptoms. I had to slowly dialback the dosage until I could quit. First half a pill, then a quarter. I only take it now when my back flares up, and still I only take a quarter pill just to take the edge off the pain.