Quantcast

Victor Falls...

pvfjr

Chimp
Apr 28, 2006
Tacoma, WA
Is it still open? Or should I not be talking about it for some reason? I went there once in 2003 and screwed around a little bit, but I was too fat, had no riding partner, and was on a walmart bike. Now that that's all changed, I'm wondering if its still there, or if Cascadia has started in on the shutdown and development. :help:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
yup no more Victor...

You should try Lake Sawyer, it's in Black Diamond. A little different than Victor, but certainly alot of fun and miles and miles of singletrack, not many roads. And only rarely do you see a dirtbike.

Go to Black Diamond Cycles and buy a map there. Buy a compass and go have fun getting lost.:)

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
Skookum said:
yup no more Victor...

You should try Lake Sawyer, it's in Black Diamond. A little different than Victor, but certainly alot of fun and miles and miles of singletrack, not many roads. And only rarely do you see a dirtbike.

Go to Black Diamond Cycles and buy a map there. Buy a compass and go have fun getting lost.:)
I was out there (Lake Sawyer) 2 days ago and there were a bunch of annexation hearing notices posted at the entrance. I was to distracted by my dog to really read into them. Is that area now in jeopardy of being developed too?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I wouldnt count on Sawyer being there forever either. King County does have a huge tract of land in the same area that they are making into a dedicated rec area... Or at least that was the plan a while back.... i think skookie knows some about this.....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Langer said:
I was out there (Lake Sawyer) 2 days ago and there were a bunch of annexation hearing notices posted at the entrance. I was to distracted by my dog to really read into them. Is that area now in jeopardy of being developed too?
Yes, much of Sawyer will suffer the same fate as Victor did. Bridges has already been interrupted by a big rock drainage ditch, and will probably get all the way gobbled up eventually.

There's some stuff on the docket for some legitamate permanant mt. bike trails park just down the road. Last i heard things sound promising but you never wanna count the chicks until they hatch on that kinda stuff.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pvfjr said:
Sounds like I should move back home to Oakridge OR if I want some trails I can count on. :rolleyes:
Well Victor was supposed to die in the early 90's and managed to stay around as long as it did. Nobody is writing Sawyer off yet, but you'd have to have your head in the ground to think that it will be around for your grandkids to ride it though either....:wonky2:

pvfjr

Chimp
Apr 28, 2006
Tacoma, WA
So is there any dirt at all close to me? Black diamond isn't bad for a weekend daytrip, but what about somewhere close that I could screw around for a couple hours on a weekday? Doesn't have to be anything fancy.

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
yep, I hear the adjacent subd is finally expanding into the Bridges Trail. however, Ed's east side loop is probably 6 miles now w/ a cool new part under const, rumoured to be almost 4 miles...
Mega Thanks goes to Master Builder Ed (of Ed's Woods Fame), who over past 15 yrs built the majority of this super sweeeet Black Diamond trail system!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pvfjr said:
So is there any dirt at all close to me? Black diamond isn't bad for a weekend daytrip, but what about somewhere close that I could screw around for a couple hours on a weekday? Doesn't have to be anything fancy.
Actually i've often thought that Lake Sawyer is closer to people in Tacoma than in Seattle since it's against the flow of traffic to get to 18 from the valley freeway...

If you know the backway towards Browns Point you can ride at Dash Point State Park on the far west side of Federal Way. There's actually quite a bit of fun riding towards the top part. Enough for a few hours.

pvfjr

Chimp
Apr 28, 2006
Tacoma, WA
So is lake sawyer the closest thing to me? Still seems like a bit of a day trip. I miss not having to drive anywhere to ride some trails. I didn't know how lucky I was to be surrounded by them.

greasemonkey

Chimp
Jul 4, 2001
WA
upper dash point trails are fun for afternoon rides, and it's less of a drive from tacoma than victor falls was. just be wary of hikers on the lower trails, if you park down at the beach.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
pvfjr said:
So is lake sawyer the closest thing to me? Still seems like a bit of a day trip. I miss not having to drive anywhere to ride some trails. I didn't know how lucky I was to be surrounded by them.
You might have to drive a bit, but banner forest is just over in Port orchard. I think that might be closer than Lk Sawyer. Also Vashon has some trails that King county is bringing back to life. Its not too far of a ride from the ferry to the center of town....