Quantcast

Victoria Bitter

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Does anyone know if they export this stuff to the states? It's likely the "Budweiser" of Australia / New Zealand, but a I can't help it....when I was on vacation I developed a taste (love) for the stuff....can anyone help?:help:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I've heard it called Visitor's Beer...wonder why?

I can understand importing great beers from Belgium, but why bother importing a crappy lager from Australia?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Silver said:
I've heard it called Visitor's Beer...wonder why?

I can understand importing great beers from Belgium, but why bother importing a crappy lager from Australia?
Um, in Victoria it is what the majority of bars stocked. It was pretty much the college student's beer of choice. It was also a good step and above a lot of the pricier beers. nothing surprising, just high AC% and fairly tasty, cheap too.

I don't know anyone importing it, but VB certainly led to some fun nights.

The Ito

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I kinda thought VB was the "Rainier" of Aussie beers....but Rainier is the Budweiser of Washington so we're on the same page. XXXX was a little better....Do they still have free beer on their domestic flights? I was on the 'milk run' from Sydney to Darwin....8 hours and 8 beers...by the end of that flight I'd tried all the cheap beers in oz.
If you want to fix your tastebuds off of VB but still like the Aussie brews, go pick up a bottle Cooper's Vintage Ale. It's $3 for a 12 oz bottle but it's good.
I like all their other ales too. Cooper's Stout and Cooper's Pale Ale....they make a Sparkling Ale that wasn't as good as I remember but it's ok.
Just read in the WSJ recently that Cooper's might be selling out to the big guy down under......they were trying to work out the details to ensure their products stay the same recipe and quality......I hope so.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Qman said:
I kinda thought VB was the "Rainier" of Aussie beers....but Rainier is the Budweiser of Washington so we're on the same page. XXXX was a little better....Do they still have free beer on their domestic flights? I was on the 'milk run' from Sydney to Darwin....8 hours and 8 beers...by the end of that flight I'd tried all the cheap beers in oz.
If you want to fix your tastebuds off of VB but still like the Aussie brews, go pick up a bottle Cooper's Vintage Ale. It's $3 for a 12 oz bottle but it's good.
I like all their other ales too. Cooper's Stout and Cooper's Pale Ale....they make a Sparkling Ale that wasn't as good as I remember but it's ok.
Just read in the WSJ recently that Cooper's might be selling out to the big guy down under......they were trying to work out the details to ensure their products stay the same recipe and quality......I hope so.
During the six months I was down there I don't think there was a week where I didn't have at least one six pack of coopers in my fridge. Tried plenty of stuff, but Cooper's was cheaper and tastier than most. Sparkling ale was ok, PA was awesome, Stout was awesome and the Vintage could knock the sh*t out of you if I remember correctly.

And quantas does in flight free alcohol. On my flight from New Zealand to LAX I lost count of how much I drank, it was a lot of fun.

The Ito

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Qman said:
Yeah Coopers is pretty good. :)
I think it was the New Zealand brewing company Lion Nathan that was trying to buy it?:confused:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Qman said:
Yeah apart from the smaller guys Coopers is the only one worth drinking. Much pricier than VB and the like though.