Quantcast

Video camera - GoPro or something else?

Sep 26, 2011
So GoPro is the big name out there right now, and maybe that's for a reason. Is it the best bang for the buck - the Hero2 is relatively inexpensive, but you do have to add the LCD screen to see what you've got/what you want to get.

Is there a better option for the money, ~$350 w/ LCD back? I have a friend who works at REI, so I can get 30% off of purchases, so I may have answered my owen question here.

Any input appreciated...

-EGS

PS - Riding XC, BTW...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the LCD BacPac isnt really necessary to have but it is a nice add on. if youre friend can get you a 30% discount, then its a no brainer to me.
REI is only selling the LCD for $50??

Sep 26, 2011
the LCD BacPac isnt really necessary to have but it is a nice add on. if youre friend can get you a 30% discount, then its a no brainer to me.
REI is only selling the LCD for $50??
No, it's $79, that was a typo - I meant $380. With discount it's $266...

andy_n

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
Here is a comparison for you. Both of these were shot at the same time. One is a GoProHero HD, the other a Contour Roam. It was a wet, dark day. But awesome riding :)

We were comparing cameras and to see who could make a better video in a hour or so. The interesting thing was we set both Camera's to 720p but for some reason when uploaded the Gopro gave a 1080p opinion?

Aedubber

Chimp
Aug 15, 2011
Passaic County , NJ
Wow that Roam actually has some VERY good quality , prob seems to have a lead over the gopro a bit. I have a gopro hd hero 2 and i love it .Looking at those videos tho seems like you cant go wrong with either tho .

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
How about a video comparison without music showing audio quality differences? The horrible audio is the single thing I dislike about my GoPro HD. My girlfriend works at REI and can get a great deal on a Contour Roam right now. Looking at the above videos the Roam video quality looks great...and I can't imagine the audio could possibly be worse than the GoPro.

andy_n

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
I find the GoPro has really annoying audio, picking up too much wind and there always seems to be something tapping that the camera picks up. The Contour Roam, you hear nothing. The mic is so weak you might as well not have it.

jopeters

Chimp
Oct 14, 2011
How about a video comparison without music showing audio quality differences? The horrible audio is the single thing I dislike about my GoPro HD. My girlfriend works at REI and can get a great deal on a Contour Roam right now. Looking at the above videos the Roam video quality looks great...and I can't imagine the audio could possibly be worse than the GoPro.
do you use the open back? I dont really have too much problem with my audio on my gopro hd

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We have the GoPro and love it. It's versatile (lots of mount options) and easy to use. We haven't bought the LCD backpack for it and have been fine without it too. We don't have too much of a problem with audio, but we don't use the open back that often.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
do you use the open back? I dont really have too much problem with my audio on my gopro hd
Yes I do. Every GoPro video I have ever watched has terrible audio quality. I mean sure, I can hear things and distinguish what they are, but the overall quality is bad. I'm not one to put music over my videos, I'd rather hear what's going on. But with the GoPro it's painful to listen to the audio for too long.