Quantcast

Video Camera help

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My Panasonc Gs16 broke for no reason, so I need a new one...

I am looking at the JVC Everio hard drive series. I looked at it costco. It has a nice big zoom. Does anyone have one?

Also, could I edit mpegp2 with Premier?

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
You can edit mpg2 in premier if you have pro or newer, or download some plugins for the older versions. The harddrive cameras are definitely not ideal, as you can carry a few tapes that will hold more footage and make it easier to organize later. I suggest getting a camera with 3ccd's as the picture quality will be much better. Make sure the zoom you are checking on is purely optical, not digital as well. Autofocus is usually good enough so don't fus with ones that have a manual focus as well, but if the camera has separate controls that are easy to use for the ND filters and white balance, it is a definite plus. Lastly, get a panasonic with 24p, you'd be amazed by the quality of shots you can get.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
24p is a setting where the camera shoots at 24 frames per second, rather than the standard 30fps or up to 60fps on digital video cameras. This makes your shots look more like 16mm film, like a movie. All of starwars 3 was shot in this format. I was amazed at the difference it makes, you wouldnt think it does, but boy oh boy. I would look at trying to find a Sony vx2000 used, and closeout or at a sony outlet store or something.They have been the standard for action sports films for years. (not 24p)....want that, get the panasonic ag-dvx1000 or whatever is the newest model....