Quantcast

video card help for solidworks

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I need help getting a new video card. It needs to be dual monitor and it needs to un Solidworks and other 3d rendering programs very well. It also needs to be under $200.
The solidworks website lists lots of Fire GL cards but the only one that is dual monitor is $300. I've used some non SW approved cards that worked well so i know there is one out there. I'm using a GeForce MX4000 right now and it's a pile so I'm kinda leaning towards a Radeon.
This is going on a year old P4 if that matters.
Anybody having good luck running SW with a cheaper card?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I've been really happy with my nvidia geforce fx 5900xt.

Been running solidworks for years.
I used to run it with illustrator on dual monitors for a while no problem.

hope that helps.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
DVNT said:
I've been really happy with my nvidia geforce fx 5900xt.

Been running solidworks for years.
I used to run it with illustrator on dual monitors for a while no problem.

hope that helps.
yeah, for solid works, this one would be the best choiuce based on the price range.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
sirknight6 said:
yeah, for solid works, this one would be the best choiuce based on the price range.

ok, I just looked that card up and it doesn't look like it's a dual monitor card. Am I missing something?
I'm scared to go GeForce because I know it's supposed to be a gamer card but I really don't want to drop the coin for a Quadro

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
dw would be the guy to ask...but Radeons tend to be more game friendly than CAD friendly. I know dw is using an nvidia.

YOu might want to post this on the eng-tips.com Solidworks forum..... actually do a search first. But that forum helped me A LOT when I was using Swx last year.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
I think you’ll like the Nvidia, I’ve been using a GeForce for about a year and it has proven itself worthy. Complex assemblies of 80+ parts with GearTrax created true involute spurs and helicals, exploded rotation… smooth as butter, rebuild… no problems, quick style.

I know they’re usually considered gaming cards, and I’m not even sure that SW lists them as preferred cards, but mine works great, at a great price.

MMike is right, if you want more opinions hit up that SW forum, there is always a lot of card talk on there.

http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=559&page=1

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
They may be gamer cards but that typically only means they support a lot of functions used in gaming. They will still have a very robust OpenGL engine.

Anyway, good luck with it.