Quantcast

Video: Chile Part Dos....Terremoto!

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
The downhill race in the Andes @ La Parva was scheduled the weekend after the urban event in Valparaiso. Unfortunately, as we all know, Chile was hit with one of the largest earthquake's recorded in history....so naturally the race was cancelled. Here are some 'leftover' bits from the few weeks were in Chile, including the only day of practice at the race! FUERZA CHILE!

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/Chile-Numero-Dos-Terremoto,1796/Lucent,16

Can't thank the race promoter Victor Heresmen enough for making sure we were taken care of the week after the quake, as well as our Chilean friends who were our personal tour guides and chauffeurs in Santiago! Already can't wait to go back next year.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I must be on Ridemonkey when in the middle of winter a sick video of actual bike riding is way at the bottom of the downhill forum while a thread on what cassette to run on a dh bike (please stop calling it a rig) is up to 5 pages long . . .

Nice work Justin, as always.:thumb:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Cool video. The terrain looks tough and unforgiving to mistakes!

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
The terrain looks tough and unforgiving to mistakes!
You can say that again. We rode a 45 minute DH trail earlier in the week and it was hands down the sketchiest I've ever felt on a DH bike. SUPER loose squirrely dirt surrounded by hundreds of pointy sharp rocks that want to eat you for breakfast....pretty much the whole way down. You're options were a.) run low tire pressure to gain some amount of traction, and ultimately get a pinch flat or b.) run high tire pressure to avoid flatting, and have little to no traction. I chose B so I wouldnt have to ride out with a flat....and STILL got a flat 10 minutes from the end.

But some amazing views on the way down. One time I took my eyes off the trail to look around I ended up on the side of the trail in a bed of prickly bushes :(

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Cool video. The terrain looks tough and unforgiving to mistakes!
Falling off the trail would be bad news, the rocks were super sharp.

Last year I clipped one on the trail Justin mentioned above while going around a corner too tight (not even crashing) and it went right down to the bone on my shin.... this year I had better luck, haha