Quantcast

Video Editing

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So I purchased a digital video camera for my fiancee and I for Christmas. With our upcoming wedding and what-not we both agreed we would like to have a video camera. Anyway... what do you guys use to save/edit/burn your files with?

It got a bottom of the line Sony for a steal. I need to get a firewire cable for transfering the files, is there any other hardware I should look into getting.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hardware for just starting out? You shouldn't need any.

What platform are you using? PC/Mac?

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
I used Sony's Vegas Video which worked out pretty well. It took me a while to learn the major tricks, but once I did, it was pretty powerful. I got a copy of Adobe's video editor and it was very powerful, but just like photoshop, too many things to figure out and, in the end, just not worth my time to figure it all out.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
dump said:
Hardware for just starting out? You shouldn't need any.

What platform are you using? PC/Mac?
PC

I guess I was just wondering if there are thing that people feel a need to have with them when using a digi camera.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
luken8r said:
I used Sony's Vegas Video which worked out pretty well. It took me a while to learn the major tricks, but once I did, it was pretty powerful. I got a copy of Adobe's video editor and it was very powerful, but just like photoshop, too many things to figure out and, in the end, just not worth my time to figure it all out.
Great advice, I've read some reviews and they all seem to think that Sony's program aint that good.

I was a simple/easy to use program.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Gotcha...
consider a tripod/monopod, otherwise, for basic shooting, I can't think of anything. Extra battery?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
stosh said:
Great advice, I've read some reviews and they all seem to think that Sony's program aint that good.

Ok, now we're talking software ;)

I agree, Vegas is a powerful program that's fairly easy to use. I've had good success with it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
dump said:
Gotcha...
consider a tripod/monopod, otherwise, for basic shooting, I can't think of anything. Extra battery?
Yeah I was thinking an extra battery would be good. The camera only comes with a USB cord so I need to get a FIREWIRE cable. Oh a tripod sounds like a great idea.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
stosh said:

well, if youre not doing editing work for Steven Spielberg, its not that bad. Besides, the price was right ;)
I can *tell you what store I got it from* if you PM me

XP has a movie maker program, but that really rots.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
stosh said:
Yeah I was thinking an extra battery would be good. The camera only comes with a USB cord so I need to get a FIREWIRE cable. Oh a tripod sounds like a great idea.
The USB connection is generally for pulling stills from an onboard mem card. If you want the video on your PC, you need to pull it down the firewire port

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
stosh said:
Does the camera & your computer support USB2.0?

Does your computer have a firewire port?

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Pinnacle studios is a great program for intermediate to advaned editing. It's not quite as complex as Adobe or Final Cut, but still does a great job, and is easy to use.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
luken8r said:
The USB connection is generally for pulling stills from an onboard mem card. If you want the video on your PC, you need to pull it down the firewire port
I have a FIREWIRE PCI card at home waiting to be installed.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
stosh said:
Thanks!

Have you used your helmet cam much?
Actually it's not mine, it's just been in my posession for a long time. I haven't used it much lately. It's kind of a pain in the ass and takes away from the riding experience. But it is a fun way to document good rides, so I'll probably use it some more next year.

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
sony vegas is a great user friendly platform adobe premier pro 1.5 is a little more advanced but killer platform avid is advanced and final cut pro is killer awsome. i use vegas and final cut for my video editing. use what windows xp gives or go out and buy pinnacle its a descent program. i have all of the above programs and man i always use vegas and final cut and get great results. i am an industry editor that has 5 years of editing experience. this is what i do for a living and i would say get pinnacle for the price or just stick with windows editing software...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
AN6 Freerider said:
sony vegas is a great user friendly platform adobe premier pro 1.5 is a little more advanced but killer platform avid is advanced and final cut pro is killer awsome. i use vegas and final cut for my video editing. use what windows xp gives or go out and buy pinnacle its a descent program. i have all of the above programs and man i always use vegas and final cut and get great results. i am an industry editor that has 5 years of editing experience. this is what i do for a living and i would say get pinnacle for the price or just stick with windows editing software...
Thanks man I'll ahve to look into Vegas.

HRDTLBRO said:
Pinnacle studios is a great program for intermediate to advaned editing. It's not quite as complex as Adobe or Final Cut, but still does a great job, and is easy to use.
i second the pinnacle choice fro PC. that is what i sued, and was easy to figure out. works great, relatively powerful too. so i recomend that.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Zman said:
i second the pinnacle choice fro PC. that is what i sued, and was easy to figure out. works great, relatively powerful too. so i recomend that.
I'm not really sure how video editing has to do with legal litigations but if you say so!!!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Echo said:
Windows XP comes with usable video editing software.
Yes, it's usable, but not particularly powerful. I really like using vegas on the other hand.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Echo said:
Windows XP comes with usable video editing software.

I second that Stosh, use Windows Movie Maker for a while to see what it is you really need to have.

I have used both premiere and finalcut pro and honestly for the silly crap i edit Windows MM is adequte.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
What about burning the movies to DVD can all these programs do that for me?