Quantcast

Video Equipment Recommendations

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
So all you video junkies, what camera and recorder should I get. Not looking to spend $1000.00. Something around $250.00 for the Twenty20 and then another $400-$500 for the recorder. So what do you have and what should I get?

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
I would go with panasonic's new line of 3 chip camcorders. They are compact and you can pick up the most advanced "consumer" one for around $600. The colors are awesome and the picture is sharp, you just won't have the manual controls that you would have on a more expensive camcorder.

Or you can just level up and get the DVX100 :) best piece of technology i've ever bought.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
If you are looking to get a helmet cam and recorder for the sole purpose of recording rides, you can go cheaper on the recorder. If you plan to use the recorder for anything else, then you can't.

Basically...when you hook the 20/20 camera into the recorder, all audio/video runs through the 20/20 accessory, overriding the video and audio capturing technologies of your recorder. You are going to be limited to the capabilities of what the camera (20/20) is capable of.

I found the suggestions on 20/20s site to be quite helpful when narrowing down what I wanted vs needed since I had zero plans to use the recorder for anything other than helmet camming.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
oh, I missed the part about the helmet camera.

One thing about helmet cameras is that they force you to get a camcorder with a VTR mode. Many cameras today do not have this mode. Check www.viosport.com for a list of all the cameras that support helmetcameras/external recording.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
oh, I missed the part about the helmet camera.

One thing about helmet cameras is that they force you to get a camcorder with a VTR mode. Many cameras today do not have this mode. Check www.viosport.com for a list of all the cameras that support helmetcameras/external recording.
And make sure your camera is on the list for 'will work' when it comes to the LANC remote if you're planning on using one while riding.

I bought the Sony 60GB hard drive camera (non-HD, kicking myself now). The camera works very well with my Viosport AD Cam 3, but the remote does not work for more than turning the camera on and off. It will not start / stop the record function. I have purchased BOTH the 1.4 and 1.6 remotes and neither work. I'm hoping they come out with a new model remote soon. Opening my pack to start / stop the camera is a pain.

All that said, the video I get from the setup is amazing. I haven't edited any of it down yet, but with Spring here, I should have the opportunity to get more footage for my video. Now I just need to start riding with the camera again.

btw, what software do most of you vid guys use to edit the movie? I haven't purchased any yet, and have both Mac and PC platforms at home.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
If you are going to go the route of the 2020, spend some time on their recommended recorder page:
http://www.twenty20camera.com/twenty20_recorder.php

Also, check out their spreadsheet to see what adapters you'll need and if the recorder supports LANC (as stated above, it is sorta needed if you don't want to be diving into your bag to start/stop the recording).

http://www.twenty20camera.com/recorders.php

ALSO!!! Ensure you buy the 2007 model of the 2020 and not the 2006 as the 07 has much better handling of dynamic lighting (in and outta trees at whistler is a perfect example of this).

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Just buck up and buy the HD Panasonic AG-HVX200! :D
that thing isn't as awesome as you might expect. you can only record HD to the 8gig P2 Cards, not to a tape. The P2 cards cost $700 each and can only hold 15-20 min of full quality HD.

Now the Canon A1? That's a camera that I quite possible could romance the hand to.

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
HDV rocks..... versatile and cheap, but most of the 3CCD cameras are too big to ride with. There is a whole batch of single CMOS chip cameras out now, but none I have found have analog input for helcam.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
that thing isn't as awesome as you might expect. you can only record HD to the 8gig P2 Cards, not to a tape. The P2 cards cost $700 each and can only hold 15-20 min of full quality HD.

Now the Canon A1? That's a camera that I quite possible could romance the hand to.
Actually, you can go out to any firewire HD and go back to shooting. I plug my HD into the cig lighter socket and off load right at the site, then clear the cards and go back to shooting. I have been doing a crap load of shooting and never ever want to go back to tape. Now if you are not so good with computers and electronics a complete digital file work flow may bother you. Just my 2 cents.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Actually, you can go out to any firewire HD and go back to shooting. I plug my HD into the cig lighter socket and off load right at the site, then clear the cards and go back to shooting. I have been doing a crap load of shooting and never ever want to go back to tape. Now if you are not so good with computers and electronics a complete digital file work flow may bother you. Just my 2 cents.
oh yeah i forgot to mention that.... HD digital workflows are the future.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
HDV rocks..... versatile and cheap, but most of the 3CCD cameras are too big to ride with. There is a whole batch of single CMOS chip cameras out now, but none I have found have analog input for helcam.

what kind of case is that? is that the Ogio Ty case?

brakecheck

Chimp
Nov 28, 2006
olympia,wa
dude, oregon scientific has the right idea, no cam corder needed to get damaged. 2gb video card, about 45 min, 2 aa batts, mounts to anything. i have twenty20, had 2 battery box problems, cost too much. oregons is $130-brakecheck:monkeydance: