Quantcast

Video game Monkeys: SPORE

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I just found out about this game. I was blown away by how complex this game is going to be. Check it out.

Spore is a computer and video game designed by Will Wright that simulates the complete history and future of life. The game was first revealed and demonstrated to the public during a speech on procedural generation at the 2005 Game Developers Conference. It is currently being developed by Maxis and is scheduled to be published by Electronic Arts in June 2007.

Spore is, at first glance, a 'teleological evolution' game: the player molds and guides a species across many generations, growing it from a single-celled organism into a more complex animal, until the species becomes intelligent. At this point the player begins molding and guiding this species' society, progressing towards a spacefaring civilization. Spore's main innovation portends to be Wright's use of procedural generation for many of the components of the game, providing vast scope and open-endedness. Wright said "I didn't want to make players feel like Luke Skywalker or Frodo Baggins. I wanted them to be like George Lucas or J.R.R. Tolkien."
Some screen shots:
The in game Editor:

More in depth game information:

Click Here!

Official Website:

SPORE

Here is a video of the gameplay (Its pretty long so only watch this if you have a half hour or so)

Discuss.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Total Heckler said:
Used to? That sucks.

Be sure to watch that video. You will be shocked how in depth everything is.
Nah, he hated it. Helped produce Sim City 2000 and 3000, and some weird tube game that was supposed to be revolutionary. Then he quit, as he hated coding video games. He's more into embedded software and the like. And then Maxis got bought by EA. Ahaha.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
spore is cool... the us video game industry... not so much.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've been watching this game development for a while and it sounds pretty kickass. It's about the only new game I'm excited to try playing.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
binary visions said:
I've been watching this game development for a while and it sounds pretty kickass. It's about the only new game I'm excited to try playing.
agreed.