Quantcast

video is dark

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I know this is probably a shot in the dark (no pun intended), but for some reason, my desktop video is dark. DVDs, mpgs, streaming video, the works, regardless of the player (winamp, windows media player, quicktime, etc.)

Where might I begin looking for prossible problems/solutions? Any guesses?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Is everything dark and you just don't notice except when you're playing videos? Or is everything bright and vibrant and your video is much darker than anything else appears?

Take this picture for instance:
http://www.nemerovsky.com/arkady/photos/la/12_09_2000_IV_fr13.jpg

Can you see stone and water patterns in the shadow area? Can you see the lines between the stones all the way up the picture (you might have to look closely at the top)?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Just the video - everything else is fine. Yes, I can see the detail in the pic.

It seems like the color/contrast/brightness/tone levels are off, but only for the video (and it's a "global" video problem - not isolated to one player). The reds and yellows seem overly saturated (color and/or contrast is too high). Let me see if I can get you a pic...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OK, so this didn't turn out as well as I was hoping. Unfortunatly, doing a screen caputer doesn't capture video, but hopefully you will get the feel.

Everything other than the video is as it should be - bright, rich, good contrast, etc. For all intents and purposes, it's the same on this computer (both displays) as it is on my laptop, and on my home computer. The non-video stuff is much brighter than it looks in the picture, but the video is pretty acurate in the shots.

The video needs help. You can see how "off" it is from the pictures. It's dark, and the color/contrast/saturation is way off compared to my laptop and my home computer (even using the same player to watch the same video clips).

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
If your video player has color/contrast controls that are set correctly, then it may be a corrupted codec.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
There may be a setting in your video card properties that is out of whack but for some reason only applies to media, it's kind of a long shot though. I don't really know what that setting would be called, you'll have to poke around.