Quantcast

[Video] YT TUES vs Specialized DEMO Sworks

andrextr

Chimp
Aug 6, 2007
Portugal
Hi guys!

After Gwin's move from Specialized to Young Talent, I decided to do a linkage comparative between DEMO S-works and TUES... As expected, they have a completely opposite suspension kinematics! Check it out!

I'm very curious to see if Gwins will still use a stiff suspension and a low SAG on the TUES. With a bike +50% more progressive than DEMO, a stiff suspension means that your wheel will collapse before the bike bottoms-out :D

Bye. :)

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I think he can tackle this with the X2 setup. I believe the frame got developed around the ccdb and this shock is very linear. So if the X2 is similar it will work out.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Are you using figures with the special link Gwin was using to make the Demo more progressive?

I came off riding demo for 4 years or so and I have had my Tues for about 8 months. The Tues felt at home instantly, and I feel more comfortable on it as well.

I am really excited to see how Gwin does with it.

-Brett

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
With Cam Zink and Aaron Gwin now being the title riders for a German company, why don't we all just start spelling and pronouncing "YT" the way it's clearly intended to be - Whitey.

andrextr

Chimp
Aug 6, 2007
Portugal
Hi guys!

Even if you tune your shock for a linear setting, you will always get the progressivity from the frame. The force curves that' I shown in the video is for a linear shock without considering compression damping.

You can add extra progressivity to the bike by tuning the shock, but you can't go lower from the progressivity of the frame (you can't go lower from the force curves graph that I showed)... :)

Only way to use all travel easily is to increase the SAG, but in that case we are talking about decreasing springrate and not the progressivity. :)

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I have had no issue using all the travel on the Tues CF Pro with BOS rear shock....
In relation to what is the Tues "very progressive"? I mean I have no problem either using the travel when I decrease compression settings. Maybe that and the length of the shock is the reason the tues gets ridden with ridiculously low springrates. I doubt if Gwin will ride much more than a 300lbs spring. That is "big guy" territory for normal riders.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
In relation to what is the Tues "very progressive"? I mean I have no problem either using the travel when I decrease compression settings. Maybe that and the length of the shock is the reason the tues gets ridden with ridiculously low springrates. I doubt if Gwin will ride much more than a 300lbs spring. That is "big guy" territory for normal riders.
He's using a air shock in all the recent vids. I'd be surprised if they don't end up using a coil shock at some point this season.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Low springrates result from the lever principle. Same rear wheel travel but longer shock then average=lower springrates.
It's also clear that the bike itself remains quite progressive. But with the enormous air can on the 267mm air shock you have a lot of room to get the shock acting almost "linear" like its coil sprung brother.
Fact is, that a lot of the reviews liked the feeling of the Tues. Fact is also that Gwin loves him a progressive bike.

Regarding the amount of SAG ridden on progressive bikes I am in the opinion that it's better to run less SAG to have a supple beginning stroke and to have less spiking during middle sized hits and square edges.

spes

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
I have Tues CF Comp with Vivid rear shock: I weight 92kg so stock spring (250) is too light for me. I did some spring calculation tests and those suggest 300-330 spring. I'm thinking of buying 325 spring, does that sound right?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
How much SAG do you want to run?
I'd recommend you to buy a 325 and a 350lbs spring as steel springs are fairly cheap. Remember: The spring should have ideally no pretension to get the most out of your rear suspension.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Regarding the amount of SAG ridden on progressive bikes I am in the opinion that it's better to run less SAG to have a supple beginning stroke and to have less spiking during middle sized hits and square edges.
Interesting, I tend to run more sag on progressive bikes, although I try to steer clear of any bike who's leverage rate has a section of rapidly increasing slope (which would cause a spike).