Quantcast

Videos (and pics) that don't suck

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
For being nick named Lord Bummer, he sure seems to be smiling and grinning quite a lot in that video, considering that he just fell off a cliff and had the ultimate yard sale a few weeks ago. :rofl:

Props to him. He obviously loves what he does and can't wait to see him at it again soon. :cheers:
Yeah, and the guy that coined the nickname Lord Bummer *cough TEAM ROBOT cough* turns out to be a minister at Christian Youth camp - turns out it was he who was bumming the Lord..

Gee is hard as nails. Healing vibes.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Maybe its how he comes across through competition i.e. race head on. And he was really trying to get back onto the podium when most of the comments were showing up???
But finally seeing the video that caused all the mayhem, man that was fricking gnarly. Yardsaling into teh rocks, sheesh. Healing vibes.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
These two are approximately mach chicken faster than I am through my closest resort trails:

I know the camera flattens everything out, and its probably much steeper than it looks.
That said
It doesn't even look like the same sport if you compare that Helmet cam to one of the Euro WC tracks. I can see why so few can successfully make the jump from Domestic pro to WC level. That nationals track looks flat or even uphill in some sections on camera.
I'm no trailbuilder, and I've never been to the alps, but to me it seems like with all the mountains in the west somebody could make a track that more resembles what they race in Europe? Long Steep and rough with a high average speed. I've been down some extremely steep mountains in Colorado, The U.S. racers deserve better than this.
Are the trailbuilders super restricted as to where and what they can build due to insurance or some other nature/ land preservation group?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It doesn't even look like the same sport if you compare that Helmet cam to one of the Euro WC tracks. I can see why so few can successfully make the jump from Domestic pro to WC level. That nationals track looks flat or even uphill in some sections on camera.
dunno if you've noticed but the UK has been fairly successful for decades in WC DH. Some of our most successful WC riders have hailed from from the South of England where there are very few decent hills at all nevermind mountains.
Last weekend was the first round of the UK National DH series held at Hamsterley forest (Danny Harts Descend bike park). Where the total elevation for the DH tracks is sub 100m. and the winning time was sub 1min 40s. We also have a total of 2 chairlift accessed DH tracks here. I don't think you can pin the USA's lack of success in DH at WC level solely on POV footage from one track you've never visited.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
that being said, when following my kid down a dh track last weekend i realized something i hadn't really thought about before, and that's how different it is hitting berms, roots, etc., on a steeper track than you're used to. kid was having a hard time adjusting how he rode through stuff when things got steep (and wouldn't listen to his old man about turning through things earlier than you're used to, etc.). talent's talent, sure, but when tracks get steeper it definitely brings out a different skill set.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That looks so good. Full props to Aaron (Troys mechanic) for dropping in first in front of the WC #2
is that not just a "thing" then ? Every Aussie I've ever met in Morzine has been a no fucks given pinner on those steep trails off the Les Gets side of the Plenney and the singletrack through the middle woods

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Oh I just meant if you were gonna have anyone chasing you down a trail picking Troy Brosnan would be hilarious. The commentary in that vid is great haha.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
dunno if you've noticed but the UK has been fairly successful for decades in WC DH. Some of our most successful WC riders have hailed from from the South of England where there are very few decent hills at all nevermind mountains.
Last weekend was the first round of the UK National DH series held at Hamsterley forest (Danny Harts Descend bike park). Where the total elevation for the DH tracks is sub 100m. and the winning time was sub 1min 40s. We also have a total of 2 chairlift accessed DH tracks here. I don't think you can pin the USA's lack of success in DH at WC level solely on POV footage from one track you've never visited.
In the United States we have the Rocky mountains, with real elevation, and dozens of bikeparks. We should have the ability to make great race courses with the available terrain.

My post has zero to do with British DH tracks or the British racers.

Are you that desperate for an online argument you want to play the U.S vs Brits game?

Its obvious from your posts you are a sad miserable old man with a constant chip on you're shoulder, always trying to argue, always looking to prove something.

Lighten up man life isn't that bad.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Are you that desperate for an online argument you want to play the U.S vs Brits game?
Calm down dear. You just missed my point entirely. (it wasn't actually a dig at US riders)
But nevermind. Hopefully if you just remain sat on your ass watching youtube "somebody" will eventually build you the US DH tracks you'd prefer to be watching.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
In the United States we have the Rocky mountains, with real elevation, and dozens of bikeparks. We should have the ability to make great race courses with the available terrain.
Until the Rocky Mountain region has a promoter that wants to put on DH races, you won’t have races. Races don’t run themselves, and race tracks don’t build themselves either.

Maybe y’all need to find places to race out there away from the resorts, now that they are all consolidated into one or two megacorps it probably is more of a pain in the ass to get an event going without knowing you will get tons of people…

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You know the track is rough when it makes a bike from today sound like a bike from 2001! (there was a lot of rattling and clanging going on there... either that or he has a great mic, taped to the chainstay)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
You know the track is rough when it makes a bike from today sound like a bike from 2001! (there was a lot of rattling and clanging going on there... either that or he has a great mic, taped to the chainstay)
Fwiw, Vital just reviewed the Phoenix and one of the few "cons" was the noticeable amount of chain slap. Regardless, that track needs a morgue at the bottom of it. Fuck all of that nuttery, and all those bastards who ride it should consider testicular reduction surgery.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Fwiw, Vital just reviewed the Phoenix and one of the few "cons" was the noticeable amount of chain slap. Regardless, that track needs a morgue at the bottom of it. Fuck all of that nuttery, and all those bastards who ride it should consider testicular reduction surgery.
Following your line of thought, I wonder if we were hearing chain slap or ball slap all around...

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Bernard Kerr previewing the updated Hardline course; just chatting away like he is having a stroll around the park. :eek:

Man on a few of those big step-ups I thought for sure he was going too slow and it was going to end badly.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
It's funny, but I actually noticed how quiet BK was on some sections and it made me realize how nutter the track must be. If you watch his vlog, you'll know that BK never ever shuts up. Ever. So, the fact that he was quiet for like 2 or 3 seconds at a time was noticeable...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Watching his track walk video he said he was testing the new features because Gee is out injured and gave him props for having done it all these years. Hitting stuff that big, blind with no reference point...