Quantcast

Videos (and pics) that don't suck

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
MOAR DERP doeesn't exactly suck but much dullness in comparison to the previous vid... or is that just Richies general aura?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
it wasn't fast a paced/hectic/pump you up to go ride type of vid, but i enjoyed it. i was also surprised to learn he was from ct, always though nj or pa for some reason. also nice to see thunder in there. and that last big pull right near the end...whew.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Plain Jane riding vid.....but these trails... :drool:
dude... you gotta come up and visit this summer. I'd looove to show you around those trails. while not quite my local, they're just an hour away, and one of my best buddies has a house there. he's been a key part of getting the area developped. That first trail, Lager, is my favourite trail here. While Maibock and Boneshaker are really cool, Lager captures that old-school "scratch a trail out of the forest and ride the shit out of it" ethos. It's the trail I've spent the most time working on (@Gary)...

Sometimes it's even rideable in the winter on fatbikes... we even do an annual "worst of both worlds" weekend there after the lifts close where on day one we hike/ski up the hill annd do a spring corn run or two, then the next day we ride the fat bike trails. sometimes the biking is awful, sometimes in amazing...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
dude... you gotta come up and visit this summer. I'd looove to show you around those trails. while not quite my local, they're just an hour away, and one of my best buddies has a house there. he's been a key part of getting the area developped. That first trail, Lager, is my favourite trail here. While Maibock and Boneshaker are really cool, Lager captures that old-school "scratch a trail out of the forest and ride the shit out of it" ethos. It's the trail I've spent the most time working on (@Gary)...

Sometimes it's even rideable in the winter on fatbikes... we even do an annual "worst of both worlds" weekend there after the lifts close where on day one we hike/ski up the hill annd do a spring corn run or two, then the next day we ride the fat bike trails. sometimes the biking is awful, sometimes in amazing...
I've had my eye on visiting there for a few years now, need to make it happen!

Whats the climb to the top like?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've had my eye on visiting there for a few years now, need to make it happen!

Whats the climb to the top like?
from the bottom of Boneshaker (essentially the lake you can see them heading towards), it's about about a 30 minute climb (for me) to the mid-mountain gazebo up a trail called TTOP.
1678479662926.png

Then it's another 20 minutes to the top of Maiboc and/or Boneshaker:
1678479726650.png

But you'd actually want to tough it out for another 10 minutes to make it to the top of Family Jewel, which is the highest point. Family Jewel is like Lager, but less blown out because it's so far up the mountain! it's a quick descent (2 minutes maybe?), and the you climb back up to Maiboc (less than 10 minutes).

So in total you're looking at about 50 to 55 minutes of climbing. Half of it is up the perfect climbing trail (TTOP), and half is up a service road.

You can do some interesting loops where you climb to the top, do a small descent, then climb up a bit, go half way down (Maiboc), then all the way to the top again and all the way down (Boneshaker). Have lunch and a swim
1678479980157.png

Then climb up again to do Lager. But that's a pretty big day. Well into the 1000m of climbing. @bois819 (from the vids) posts those numbers up fairly frequently on Strava, but he's a bit of a freak... and he's going to have a kid this year, so those days are over for him!!! :nelsonhaha:

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
was watching thus and was digging it and then realized if you changed the music to rise against if would feel like some old school matt hunter/steve romaniuk segments in the collective...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Emil doing what he does so very well... Oh. Yeah. Go buy some Etnies.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
About 50% entertainment and 50% biking, but very cool to see some of the best trails from my area beautifully filmed like that. Interesting that a bunch of guys from BC are claiming Magneto is one of the most technical trail they've ever ridden...

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
About 50% entertainment and 50% biking, but very cool to see some of the best trails from my area beautifully filmed like that. Interesting that a buch of guys from BC are claiming Magneto is one of the most technical trail they've ever ridden...

It looks proper hard, not just technically but all those short lunges up the ledges...

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
It looks proper hard, not just technically but all those short lunges up the ledges...
Yes, slow tech at its best. I will still need to ride it a few more times to feel more comfortable riding it, but I can say that a "No Dab" Magneto run is positively out of reach for me.

Its more difficult to ride than Wolverine, but I'd say Wolverine has more high-consequence don't fuck up sections.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yes, slow tech at its best. I will still need to ride it a few more times to feel more comfortable riding it, but I can say that a "No Dab" Magneto run is positively out of reach for me.

Its more difficult to ride than Wolverine, but I'd say Wolverine has more high-consequence don't fuck up sections.
I haven't ridden any of those.....yet.

The climb up to Granitosaur looks interesting.. I don't like heights.. :rofl:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I haven't ridden any of those.....yet.

The climb up to Granitosaur looks interesting.. I don't like heights.. :rofl:
All these trails are bucket list worthy.

The climb to Granito is actually not too bad in person. There is also a new access to Granito. Super slow tech stuff, once again! :)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
All these trails are bucket list worthy.

The climb to Granito is actually not too bad in person. There is also a new access to Granito. Super slow tech stuff, once again! :)
Yeah definitely need more time there, we only got to ride Slab City basically. Got there too late in the day, oops.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
'kin insanity!
Sorry for the spoiler but you guys called it months back

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Another vid from @slyfink 's backyard. COME ON SNOW MELT DAMMIT

Basic riding vid, but them trails :brows:
great. now I'm jonesing to ride again. :disgust:

it's gonna be a while before we're back there, they're still running the lifts for skiing. That second run (Q-Cup) is still a skiable glade run...!

I haven't been on Oz since I sold my DH bike... Maybe I should revisit (but then again, with my luck, maybe it's best I stay away). I agree with @Jozz, Fortuna is great. Not beginner (and wheel) friendly though!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
great. now I'm jonesing to ride again. :disgust:

it's gonna be a while before we're back there, they're still running the lifts for skiing. That second run (Q-Cup) is still a skiable glade run...!

I haven't been on Oz since I sold my DH bike... Maybe I should revisit (but then again, with my luck, maybe it's best I stay away). I agree with @Jozz, Fortuna is great. Not beginner (and wheel) friendly though!
I saw your other post somewhere about being hesitant (with good reason) about riding in the Quebec City area.. have you been to VBN before? They have some super mellow flow trails, great for kids too. Could be a mild intro the area again.. and there's other stuff to do there too, if you aren't feeling the riding.

No cell service either, so it's nice. :)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
probably 18 minutes of this bored the shit out of me...
but the footage of Kade's riding made it totally NOT suck. The new young guy seems pretty wild on a bike too.