Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hey @norbar, you were asking about the racing in my country. Here is a small glimpse from my friend's perspective. Filmed in my beautiful city and province. Trail is a flow trail that he built. Beginner-friendly so all can come and ride it. (Also ask your friend where she teaches freediving because I'm sure she's visited my town)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1031884240305688&id=977798965681301
That's an awesome looking trail. Looks better than most of what I've ridden in Bali (they have one big jump trail but since I was on Petrol rentals where L size is smaller than 2009 S size for most frames I was scared shitless to jump anything big). I will defo ask my friend once she comes out of hiding since she does this no phone trips to remote places. I really wish once I restore my finances I can travel around more and maybe visit though because of my GF Taiwan is probably the first priority.

btw. How is the soil on the tracks ? Does it also get insanely slippery when wet? What I rode in Bali basically turned into ice once it rained. I've ridden in some stupid conditions in my life but never something like that.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
btw. How is the soil on the tracks ? Does it also get insanely slippery when wet? What I rode in Bali basically turned into ice once it rained. I've ridden in some stupid conditions in my life but never something like that.
Yes. :busted: I cannot remember how many times I've crashed in those conditions. You just think about braking you crash. I am in awe of the boys who can ride so fast when the trail becomes a bobsled track.

The trails in the other town are different. More rocks and doesn't turn to ice when it rains.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yes. :busted: I cannot remember how many times I've crashed in those conditions. You just think about braking you crash. I am in awe of the boys who can ride so fast when the trail becomes a bobsled track.

The trails in the other town are different. More rocks and doesn't turn to ice when it rains.
This was worse. You didn't crash if you started breaking, you just crashed, randomly. So slippery you could not stand on flat ground since even the slighest angle made you slide. The guys here stopped uplifting when it rained. I rode up once on my own and I was not happy about that choice despite being used to riding in rain given Poland is as wet as most of UK (well maybe not Scotland)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This was worse. You didn't crash if you started breaking, you just crashed, randomly. So slippery you could not stand on flat ground since even the slighest angle made you slide. The guys here stopped uplifting when it rained. I rode up once on my own and I was not happy about that choice despite being used to riding in rain given Poland is as wet as most of UK (well maybe not Scotland)
There are some spots like that here. One of the DH hills has to shut down if it even sprinkles rain. The clay soil is pretty much like being on ice, once it gets wet.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
There are some spots like that here. One of the DH hills has to shut down if it even sprinkles rain. The clay soil is pretty much like being on ice, once it gets wet.
With a little sprinkling of moss on top as well? Also, the "ice trail" when underneath some vegetation (fruit trees, coconuts) take so long to dry out. Nobody uses mudtires because the knobs just fold over. Someone said when you're careening down the mountain to just slam into whatever little banked turn is available to slow down. I don't have the ability or testicular fortitude for that.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
With a little sprinkling of moss on top as well? Also, the "ice trail" when underneath some vegetation (fruit trees, coconuts) take so long to dry out. Nobody uses mudtires because the knobs just fold over. Someone said when you're careening down the mountain to just slam into whatever little banked turn is available to slow down. I don't have the ability or testicular fortitude for that.
I ride at the same hill as Chis. ( @canadmos ) Clay over oil-stone shale, all under a nice canopy of hardwoods, so yup, greasy leaves on-top of of wet clay. And yes we do get moss and lichen growing on some of the spots that don't get much sun. It is a north facing hill as well. If it is cool with little wind and we get an hour of moderate rain, that can keep the hill closed for several days as it takes a bit to dry out enough to ride. Anybody who gets caught on the hill in a cloudburst is pretty much fucked. And any ruts made as he tripods and yardsails down the hill will dry into concrete.

Bottom line is that clay based peanut butter sucks no matter where in the world you are.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Bottom line is that clay based peanut butter sucks no matter where in the world you are.
Muddy races are rare here, so no one has the kit or tyres for them. A few years ago, a kid crashed in front of me in a muddy waterslide chute and even though I was a long way back I had no choice but to ride directly over him as I couldn't stop or turn. Sorry mate!

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Yeah, I nearly couldn't believe what I found, all the gems from the past in one place. Guess it's not gonna stay there for long though.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Think I still have a box with the entire Sprung/Earthed series somewhere on...erm... VHS

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I have said Kranked III on VHS and still know where. Also some editions of Krusty Demons of Dirt, Chain Reaction 2, some Props...

A tape a "friend" of mine "lost" and which really buggers me is Physical Graffiti. Anybody knows this? Was a mixture of so called fun sports and lifestyle madness. Of course Sean Palmer was featured. The Fly TV tapes by Black Flys came close.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Right, I'll preface this by saying my appendix tried to kill me last Thursday and had to be removed so now I'm confined to the house and going feckin crazy not being able to ride. Not helping is that I've been re-watching MTB movies and videos on the tube.

Ignoring the level of the riding - these Swedish guys have put together a great mate's race and covered it better than half the WCs are. Probably doesn't belong in the thread but it's given me some ideas for making an annual event for my mates.

Does anyone know if there are good digital copies of the old Mudcows videos online somewhere? I still have them on VHS but don't even have a VHS player anymore. Did Mudcows even make it over to the US? Does anyone even know what I'm ranting about? Stay tuned for more updates from crippled toodlesvision.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@toodles
We had Mudcows here.
Here's Mudcows & Mudcows2 for ya (MC is in parts)

I'm laid up just now too. But my daughter has got me hooked on reality TV. (I don't normally watch TV at all). it's bizarre. I think the fact I can't drink my way through this is the real problem tho.

Get well soon Bro

Ps. Try hola or some other proxy if TY tells you it's not available in your country

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm laid up just now too. But my daughter has got me hooked on reality TV. (I don't normally watch TV at all). it's bizarre. I think the fact I can't drink my way through this is the real problem tho.
Reality TV without drinking? Dear god man.

Heal up.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Filmed in Vail. I love it. Great riding. I've been riding these trails for years. So stoked to finally get to see a quality video come from there!!

From backcountry to bikepark, don't know who this guy is but "that freak can roll!" (Big Lewbowski line there for ya)

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/colorado-downhill-bikepark-Juan-Diego-Salido.html
@SylentK - that first clip kinda looks like Matterhorn, but they talk in the article about riding down Two Elk from the top of Outer Mongolia (from the description) - do you suppose they rode down the *north* side of Two Elk? I've always wondered about that portion of trail...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@SylentK - that first clip kinda looks like Matterhorn, but they talk in the article about riding down Two Elk from the top of Outer Mongolia (from the description) - do you suppose they rode down the *north* side of Two Elk? I've always wondered about that portion of trail...
Some of that looked more like Bowmans or Game Creek sections, but I don't know those trails well.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
@SkaredShtles & @6thElement

Def some Matterhorn in there. That spot where he bunny hoped the V in the tree looked like Grand Traverse.

The backflip was on a pirate trail. I never thought that was safe to do "normally" let alone a back flip. (notice there's really no landing/transition, it was all weeds/grasses) So give that guy some mad props!

I did 2 Elks from the gondola this season. First time not doing it from Bowman's. Yeah, you actually go by the 2 Elks lodge, the Poma in Outer Mongolia bowl. Pretty cool to see all that stuff in the summer! There's also a crazy cliff hike a bike you see in the vid.

Not sure if it's any better than doing it from Bowmans. Cuz that descent on Bownans is pretty freaking sweet! But certainly a lot easier on the shuttle logistics (we left a car in MInturn). Some people ride all the way back to Vail. Definitely good to still get in more lift laps by doing 2 Elks first chair from the gondi, car ride back to Vail, ride "park" until done. SO GOOD.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Nice. Glad to see I'm not <completely> crazy.

Have u ever descended the *north* Two Elks from the pass to I-70? That's the section that is rumored to be super-steep and maybe not terribly fun... but I've been known to like stuff that others don't. :D