Quantcast

Videos (and pics) that don't suck

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Watched that yesterday, insane riding. Ended up leaving YouTube to auto play and watched some more Loose madness.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Bit of a giggle. Wild shit

He ends up riding it with a 27.5 rear and 120mm front, I mean yeah, it's an XC race bike, but he sets it up more like a DH bike in the end, would have been much more realistic to set it up 100/100 with the actual wheels.

Anyway, yeah it can be fun to rail a lighter bike, but when the speed really gets up there in the rough, it gets less fun real fast IME (just got back from riding mine).

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I recognized Vink. Who's the other rider? that was fantastic... but dat crash tho...
It’s a few locals. The first one in the red pants is Mateo Verdier who crashed. He’s a mechanic at Switch5, the small bike shop at the bottom of the hill. I like how hard he sends it so I try to get him to film some stuff when he has time. (I started with Vinny T the same way). He‘s a really stoked and helpful guy who does year round summer between Queenstown and Châtel. He’s on a Ransom with a double crown but most of the time a single crown.
The guy going backwards or no handed is Antoine Buffart.
Kristof Lessens is at the end and usually looks so chill on camera but reality he’s usually the fastest guy on any given day. (he is a trailbuilder in Champery/Morgins in the summer and works with Nico Vink a lot on his projects as well).

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
He ends up riding it with a 27.5 rear and 120mm front, I mean yeah, it's an XC race bike, but he sets it up more like a DH bike in the end, would have been much more realistic to set it up 100/100 with the actual wheels.

Anyway, yeah it can be fun to rail a lighter bike, but when the speed really gets up there in the rough, it gets less fun real fast IME (just got back from riding mine).
That doesn’t look like a 120mm fork to me, haha.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That doesn’t look like a 120mm fork to me, haha.
It's a 120 34 SC, I have one. Pretty stiff too, nowhere near the noodle of a 32 SC, which is what most people do XC races with (which I also have). Fairly dramatic difference between the two. I think in the end the comparison is really watered down. You can still rock an XC race bike pretty damn well in the rough, but you usually don't have all that many things helping you...maybe a dropper, and that's about it.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I just thought it looked taller than 120mm. Also, Nino runs the 120mm frame all the time so is 100mm still the norm for XC? That video of Claudio following him in Chur is pretty impressive on his race bike.

C4562B2A-A032-4EA9-990D-C5F6610C08E7.jpeg

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
It's a 120 34 SC, I have one. Pretty stiff too, nowhere near the noodle of a 32 SC, which is what most people do XC races with (which I also have). Fairly dramatic difference between the two. I think in the end the comparison is really watered down. You can still rock an XC race bike pretty damn well in the rough, but you usually don't have all that many things helping you...maybe a dropper, and that's about it.
It’s a 140mm btw.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Shenanigans from the Commencal boys.

Fark Amaury's sheer speed advantage is obvious a few times and the other lads aren't exactly slow

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
x3 ... incredible. that kid is insane.
crazy. as cool as it is to watch the 20 minute videos of him picking apart the lines and rolling them slowly, watching him slay the ever living shit out of them is pretty friggin' awesome.

so rowdy.

I'd love to see him show the Châtel crew around in there...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
fuhhhhhhhhh
that remy vid makes me want to simultaneously go ride the piss outta my bike and also just quit
I've ridden a bunch of those trails and the video just doesn't do the consequences of a mistake justice. That's friggen mental doing them at that speed. Boy is wild.

I just sent that vid to the boys who showed me around Squamish and asked them why they didn't show me the "local" pace to do them. Deadset silly.

Last edited: