Quantcast

Videos (and pics) that don't suck

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Never really payed too much attention to Jack Moir when he raced DH WC but I'm loving watching him fling the wee bikes about. If only EWS racing looked like this.
That low cut into the corner at 1:19 is dope. Also watching what wheels do in slow motion is properly disturbing

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Also watching what wheels do in slow motion is properly disturbing
You know what would help with that?
Increasing the wheel diameter and reducing the spoke count. And of course 3 mm wider MegaGigaBOOST dropout spacing. ;) :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Never really payed too much attention to Jack Moir when he raced DH WC but I'm loving watching him fling the wee bikes about. If only EWS racing looked like this.

Am I the only one who would rather watch someone go fast over skidding through berms?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Am I the only one who would rather watch someone go fast over skidding through berms?
No idea why you even have to make it into a "rather" at all when you can watch Jack going fast, flicking the bike around with gracefullness and accuracy and drifting it like a boss.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah, I've been a big fan of SAFA Brian's videos ever since I first saw one of him riding a fixie at high speed through rush hour traffic into mexico city shared by a Facebook friend who was also a bike courier. Don't remember how long ago that was but don't think I've used FB for at least 5 years.
Yeah. his riding is committedAF but he also seems to have developed like a sixth sense for line choice and flow from years of riding as a courier and an eagle eye for grip. When he intentionally goes so wide cornering he's onto the dirt at the side of the roads or even uses a dirt bank off the edge of the road as a berm at 40mph+ it's fucking unreal

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah, I've been a big fan of SAFA Brian's videos ever since I first saw one of him riding a fixie at high speed through rush hour traffic into mexico city shared by a Facebook friend who was also a bike courier. Don't remember how long ago that was but don't think I've used FB for at least 5 years.
Yeah. his riding is committedAF but he also seems to have developed like a sixth sense for line choice and flow from years of riding as a courier and an eagle eye for grip. When he intentionally goes so wide cornering he's onto the dirt at the side of the roads or even uses a dirt bank off the edge of the road as a berm at 40mph+ it's fucking unreal
In some videos you can see him use the curb or gutter as a catch berm. And he rides his gravel or whatever bike down some pretty cool looking single track.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Please tell me they followed all the proper altitude acclimatization protocols?! I don't mind watching stuff about adventuring, especially with my kids, but not when people are being properly stupid. Shit just makes me angry.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Please tell me they followed all the proper altitude acclimatization protocols?! I don't mind watching stuff about adventuring, especially with my kids, but not when people are being properly stupid. Shit just makes me angry.
Nine days working their way up, with day hikes to higher vert, then descend for the night, slowly increasing the camp altitude they were staying at. Those that weren't acclimating didn't continue and even the expedition leader didn't go for the summit as he wasn't feeling well.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
There is a multi day enduro in the Andes I've got on my list, but there's pretty much no way I can acclimatise to the altitude for it. It gets up to 4300m (14,000') and I live at like 50m above sea level. I got noticeably weaker from the elevation in Trans BC and it only went to 3000m. Stupid Australian lungs.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
There is a multi day enduro in the Andes I've got on my list, but there's pretty much no way I can acclimatise to the altitude for it. It gets up to 4300m (14,000') and I live at like 50m above sea level. I got noticeably weaker from the elevation in Trans BC and it only went to 3000m. Stupid Australian lungs.
And air is thinner as you're closer to the equator too... so at a lower altitude in some parts of the Andes, there's actually less oxygen available than on Everest!

It doesn't actually take that long to acclimatize to altitude. I bet jet lag from Oz would take longer to get used to! Give it a week on site, and I'm sure you'd be fine. Are you refering to the Andes-Pacifico? That is also on my bucket list, though it would be really nice if they did something a little farther south, or in climate zone other than the arid desert... imho of course!

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah Andes Pacifico. TBH, I do prefer forests and trees - it looks pretty desolate in the pictures. But I'd like to tick off a bunch of the international multi day enduros if I can. COVID permitting of course.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF a lot of new skool MX came from BMX and mtb... and rollerblading ;)