Quantcast

Videos (and pics) that don't suck

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
This was a fun watch, but it seems to underline Sam's comments in the Downtime podcast that he's got no local trails to properly ride a DH bike.

It was also cool to hear in the podcast that Sam's been doing a fair bit of digging.
That looks like the Perth hills, definitely lacking in the vertical drop department. Amazing there's been so many good dhillers from WA considering how flat it is.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i liked it too, the dude's fun. but damn...4500 feet of climbing is a good amount...but not a ton. if i did that in the hills around here i'd snag three to four good dh runs...max

food presentation ftw tho

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
i've ridden all that stuff (ok, haven't actually attempted / cleaned ALL the lines, there's some fully gnurr bits in that zone), but to ride that ALL in one day - on a hardtail - is just badass (the required climbing alone...). i like the dude as a presenter, but he's earned xtra respect as a proper hard rider.
Yeah I dunno if that video belongs in the "does not suck" category but it's entertaining to watch. Tom is a mad unit and just and all-round good guy. For a kiwi.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah I dunno if that video belongs in the "does not suck" category but it's entertaining to watch. Tom is a mad unit and just and all-round good guy. For a kiwi.
No disrespect to your mate but that took me 3 times to get through.
First time I only got as far as the first snack stop but I hate watching youtube folk who smack their lips and talk while eating so gave up. Next time time I made it until the girl turned up with cheese toasties thinking WTF am I watchin? Third time I really struggled through her section nearly giving up again as I found her really annoying and once she'd gone I think I only made it to the end as I was puzzled how a 4500ft ride takes 7 hours or any proper food stops at all. But seeing the full route was over 24 miles it makes more sense. 4500ft for a ride really isn't all that unusual here or much of a big deal. but it'd only equate to 12-15 miles so doesn't take half as long and wouldn't even require one food stop nevermind 3 (one snack bar and one bottle is enough for me). I'd always assumed all these Canadian trails would be steeper than ours, more gnarly and closer concentrated with good access routes. Seems like the I was wrong. I guess I also prefer watching riders who do shit I'm in awe of rather than stuff like this.

Thought this was pretty worthy
I love how Kris has managed to learn to ride a trail bike to this level in such a short time, pulling off some amazing riding while remaining pretty true to BMX with his style (ie. lack of mtb style)... rewind it and watch his feet the second time ;)

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. Relatively.
3-4 hours gets any relatively fit rider moar than 4000ft of EWS standard derp in less than 15 miles.
sans all the fannying about with cameras and three fucking meal stops obvz.

Anyway... dis meant to be about rad videos.

n Big Giant Jack MOAR on his wee enduro bike rarely disappoints in Radness.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
that looked super fun.

i have no idea what i'm like to ride behind but i always just tell people that if they know what's good for them the should NOT follow my lines.
Haha, I have a few friends who I avoid following at all costs. It makes everything look so much scarier than it actually is!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Gary You coming back to Morzine again this summer?
Not made any plans for the summer at all yet. As of Friday we were finally allowed to travel out of our own counties again so I'm only just back riding the good trails (40miles away). If I do get it together I'll def be going later in the season so the lifts to Morgins are actually open . Will be sure to let you know.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just wish POV cams could show how steep trails really are.
Our steepest trails look pretty flat in GoPro footage.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Definitely can't complain about the footage from that dude's drone

Last edited:

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
^so sick. it's a nice counterpoint to semenuk's hyper polished, inch perfect edits (as amazing as they are). raw, dirty, super knarly & metal af. oldschool jank freeride vibes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
^so sick. it's a nice counterpoint to semenuk's hyper polished, inch perfect edits (as amazing as they are). raw, dirty, super knarly & metal af. oldschool jank freeride vibes.
what makes the brage video stick out so much is that it's super innovate (arguably more so than the other edits) but that it's on big, gnarly, high risk/exposure features that aren't super manicured and dialed like zinks or semenuks. and i have *never* heard of this dude before. just outta nowhere.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
they're all fantastic, but brage is just out there. pinkbike has a poll going on the videos, and brage currently has more votes than all the other videos combined (and even then has 2500 more votes)
They're all great videos - I just feel like the lunacy of Brage using such unpolished terrain, jumps and landers really sets it apart. Semenuk's is almost too clean and perfect, like textbook execution. Its like flat pedal Palmer vs Nico but for freeslopehuckstyle.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
And you know what you are getting before you even play a Semenuk reel. Always polished and full of big tricks with tons of style. Braga's reels are more like what the hell is going to happen. Need to go watch Veroniques video.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
And you know what you are getting before you even play a Semenuk reel. Always polished and full of big tricks with tons of style. Braga's reels are more like what the hell is going to happen. Need to go watch Veroniques video.
bingo. as awesome as it was, semenuks video felt like every other semenuk video (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). same with the danny macaskill video.

the first time i watched that brage video i had to keep rewinding it because i just kept having those "wait he did WHAT" moments.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
i watched all the videos in the contest. they're all sick, but this one is by and far the best

edit: sniped. still sick.
Holeee S**t, that was wild.

I've become so desensitised to sick riding, what with all the shredits and all, but that was way cool.

Nice find!

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I wonder who non-mtb people would pick. Do we know who's judging for X Games? I mean is it like Carrot Top, Bode Miller and Tila Tequila or actual judges who know what mountain biking is? Kidwoo, for example.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I know this has been posted before, but I'm going to post it again because I find it combines the raw "go-big" spirit of Brage, and the technicality of Semenuk. And he's super creative in how he imagines and creates lines (like MacAskill).

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
What's with the no love for Danny M? Too many trials moves? His riding always amazes me. Like differently than Semenuk's. Brage's was just ruthlessly sick. In the muck. No appologies, just freaking doing crazy shit.